Poor Sid - Tripod With Corn. Updated

I am a nervous wreck. While I was there I was convinced we were doing the right thing (and so was DH), but now I have this fear that we'll lose him.

Please don't let your mind go there :grouphug.

Try to focus on him being able to enjoy his walks again once his foot has healed.

White light and healing prayers are being sent out for Sid for a successful surgery and speedy recovery. :hope:candle

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please don't let your mind go there :grouphug.

Try to focus on him being able to enjoy his walks again once his foot has healed.

White light and healing prayers are being sent out for Sid for a successful surgery and speedy recovery. :hope:candle

Thank you, yes, that is what I would tell anyone else! :blush

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Fingers crossed this is successful and Sid is his usual tripod self again!

Way to be an awesome mom :beatheart

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

I so appreciate the support here. I haven't been on Greytalk so much lately, but it's good to know there are always people here who understand! :thumbs-up

Here's the update (if you're friends with me on Facebook you'll see pretty much the same thing there, sorry):

I've just had the call. Sid is awake and comfortable. :)

They took out a corn of about 1/2 cm deep. Certainly enough to cause him considerable pain, poor old guy. The thinking is that it's been making him walk in a more-than-usually distorted way which has been hurting his back and other places and that now it's gone, he should recover nicely and be able to walk properly again. I certainly hope so!

They x-rayed his hip, which showed a minimal amount of arthritis a couple of years ago and don't see any major changes - nothing that would account for the amount of limping, which is good. We'll have to see if the back pain goes away once he's over the corn. Fingers crossed on that one.

They'll update us with his progress tomorrow. I'm feeling relieved right now!

Great news! Thx for the update! We all worry when a hound goes in for surgery on here.

Hopefully he will realize he's not in pain anymore and will begin to walk normal again.

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

Ow, that was not a small corn. Hope he makes a good recovery!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Ow, that was not a small corn. Hope he makes a good recovery!

I have no previous experience of corns, but I thought it was likely to be pretty painful at that size! The funny thing - well, the odd thing - is that it's only in the last couple of weeks that I've been able to see a faint circle on the surface of his pad and my vets were still unwilling to dx a corn. He's been having trouble walking from time to time for over a year though, poor old thing. I'm really hoping it was just the corn growing!

That's a deep corn!

I hope he is soon feeling better and walking without pain.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Thank you for all your good wishes, scritches etc! I don't have him here with me right now or I'd give them to him. :) He has to stay in hospital for a day or two, being a tripod.

The more I think about it, the worse half a centimetre of corn sticking into his foot sounds.

As soon as I can measure him properly, I'm going to get a Thera-Paw boot to try. I don't care how many I buy and waste if I end up finding a good one for him that he will accept. So far the only ones he'll wear are Woodrow Wear knitted socks with a Pawz boot over the top. It's better than nothing, but not terribly cushy.

We've tried Mikki, Neo-Paws, Voyager, and 'Sport & Protective' boots. He won't have anything to do with any of them. He just high-kicks his leg out and sideways and ends up crippling himself so he can't walk at all for three or four days. Either that or he statues and won't move at all. To be fair, the Mikki boots were a bit big for him, I think.

Edited by silverfish

Sid is home! He's doing extraordinarily well! He practically towed me along the corridor to the exit! He has no stamina though, and starts panting very quickly. He's sleeping peacefully right now. Fortunate, if he doesn't want to walk far, because he's not allowed to do more than go out for a pee in the garden for a whole month while it heals.

I misunderstood the vet the other day. The corn was not half a centimetre, but nearer to ONE centimetre deep! Yikes... that must have been so painful.

Horray for Sid being home!

Hope he heals quickly. It's tough trying to not have them walk and move around much.

Tracy - the surgeon said he had to go right up to the bone to get this one completely out. :blink:

How did the corn dogs do after the surgical removals? How soon did you get them back in with a regrowth or new one?

Sid had a very comfortable night. I kept hearing him doing the 'happy groan' as he stretched out and made himself more comfortable. He's looking bright and alert, and he hopped through from the bedroom this morning looking easier on his feet, which really surprised me. I'm sure with a wound that deep in one of my feet I wouldn't be so happy! Dogs are amazing.

Tracy - the surgeon said he had to go right up to the bone to get this one completely out. :blink:

How did the corn dogs do after the surgical removals? How soon did you get them back in with a regrowth or new one?

Sid had a very comfortable night. I kept hearing him doing the 'happy groan' as he stretched out and made himself more comfortable. He's looking bright and alert, and he hopped through from the bedroom this morning looking easier on his feet, which really surprised me. I'm sure with a wound that deep in one of my feet I wouldn't be so happy! Dogs are amazing.

Sounds like he's doing really well. Any corn surgery that I have been involved with would have to be considered very successful. Pm sweetdogs so she can relay her experience.

• 2 weeks later...

How kind of you!

Sid is doing really well. He was up on his feet very quickly after the surgery and we could soon take up the mats we had outside to cushion the patio a little bit (they were weighted down with bricks so were kind of difficult to negotiate once he was going out on his own) and he now gets out, round the curves and up to the grass very smoothly and is walking nice and straight compared to the way he was creased up before.

He went for a bandage change today and the wound is doing really nicely. However he is beginning to look sore between the toes, and on the top of his foot, despite the wonderful padding they do. It's completely dry though, no sign of weeping anywhere. The nurse padded him up nicely again with lint between each toe and between his pads at the bottom, and all the way up to the top of the bandage. Last time they put zinc oxide plaster at the top to keep it all in place and that took the fur off and made his skin red, so she left it off this time.

We're doing frequent changes, and we're keeping him off it as much as possible, but we're only halfway through his four weeks till the stitches come out and he might need padding even after that.

He's SO much happier, though. He had begun to turn his foot outward to keep the weight off that toe, but it had the effect of unbalancing him and hurting his back. He's placing it more normally now. I think it'll be a while before it actually turns inward as it used to, but we're getting there!

Thank you for asking!