Poor Sid - Tripod With Corn. Updated

Sometimes with feet, less padding is more. I'll often try to have just a turn or two of vetwrap on areas other than the actual wound. Can also help to use a few strips of white adhesive tape (sticky but not TOO sticky) to anchor any padding.

Glad Sid is doing well :wub: .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh that's great! Thanks for the update. Nice to hear he's doing better and not in pain :)

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

Thanks everyone! Yes, we're really happy with his progress here. He is amazing. He's just got so much strength to just get on and do what he has to do. He hated relying on me to help support his back end for those few days when we really had to, and he's really happy that he can walk by himself again. I have to make sure he doesn't try to do too much, which is something I didn't think would be the case. Foot surgery on a tripod? Didn't sound like a winning combination to me.

Jey - I told them that if the bandage began slipping I would use the white 'paper' tape. I have some here (I think the dogs' first aid kit is bigger than ours). I'm going to see if I can book him in next time with the guy who did the first bandage change because I think he did the best job so far, and you're right, I don't think he used quite so much padding.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Sometimes with feet, less padding is more. I'll often try to have just a turn or two of vetwrap on areas other than the actual wound. Can also help to use a few strips of white adhesive tape (sticky but not TOO sticky) to anchor any padding.

Glad Sid is doing well :wub: .

I agree with Batmom, less can be not with bony greyhound feet, I found this when Sadi demolished her toe.

Would these boots be any good http://www.greyhoundproducts.co.uk/Default.aspx?ProductID=356

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for thinking of us, Mel!

Sid is doing OK! He is due to get the sutures out on Monday, down at Cambridge so they can assess his healing properly. They say that once they are out, Sid will be more comfortable, which is good news for him, but in fact he's back to running up and down the garden when he goes out to pee. He is getting used to wearing a boot, though I'm still not sure we have the best fit for him. He is wearing one, though, which is good because we really don't want this corn to come back if we can help it.

I'm a tad concerned about his fitness level now that he's been on virtually no exercise for over a month since his op (longer, really, since he wasn't able to stand on the foot for more than a few paces before the op). He tires so easily these days, but hopefully we can work up to longer walks once he gets the go-ahead to do so, and work on regaining his muscles and stamina. I hope so!

I'm also hoping that they will say he can resume hydrotherapy, because that should help him, too. It's been tough on him not being able to do more than go up the garden and back.

His foot looks good to me. No more infection, and the incision has healed really nicely as far as I can see. But he is walking on knots.

Thanks for asking! Nice to know people are thinking of my lovely boy!

That is so good to hear, hopefully now that the weather is much better he will be able to get out and about and get his fitness back. Please give him a hug from me.

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Glad to hear Sid is doing better now, poor lad must've been so painful.

He'll gradually get his fitness back, Hattie after being on crate rest for month was doing 3 walks of 5 mins to start adding a 2 mins per day & were soon upto 30, kept getting snow/ice halting our progress though, spring is nicer.

I saw these boots in a magazine that looked like they'd be good for staying on a greyhound.

http://www.dogbootsactive.com/dogpag/dogboots.htm

Edited by moofie

Those are interesting boots! They don't look padded at all, though, and that's what Sid needs. I might have a go at making some using that shape as a guide. Thanks for the link!

Someone on GT posted guidelines for making their own boots: cardboard cut like a footprint to shape the socks being used for the boot, the shaped sock being dipped into something that then dried on the sock and held the shape. Padding could be put in the boot. The boots don't last a long time, but you could be sure of getting a good fit if the cardboard was cut right. And the person made several socks at one time. Holey moley! I can't believe I found the thread here!

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Kathy - thank you for the link! I've been talking with Dune's Mom via PM and she told me she'd done this, but not the detailed instructions, so that's useful! I'm going to try that, and now I'm kicking myself, because I threw out some gel soles just recently and that would have been such a good idea! I do know someone who has a ruined wetsuit though, so maybe I'll beg a bit of neoprene and try that.

We're off soon to go down to Cambridge. I'll let you all know how he does after the stitches are out!

Thanks everyone!

OK - here's the good report! :P

Sid's surgeon is really, really pleased with him and Sid has been discharged - with the instruction that if we have any problems with his foot, whether it's this week or in two months time, we can always ring or email and talk to someone. They are really very nice down at Cambridge vet school. :thumbs-up

The stitches came out with no problem and he's all healed up beautifully. He's walking so much straighter and easier, and actually using that foot to swivel on (which he has always done up till the corn grew) and we have the go-ahead to start building up his muscle tone and hardening his pads again with daily short walks, beginning on grass with NO BOOTS! That will make Sid truly happy, bless him. If he's on hard surfaces for any length of time, he's to wear something to cushion that foot, but they really want him to walk properly on the foot without protection when he can.

He also has the go-ahead to jump into and out of our car - it's very low, only about 15 inches off the ground at the back - which will please all of us, because he's no lightweight!

He's finished his antibiotics, and now just takes one Onsior daily (NSAID), so he's not spaced out now (he's off the Tramadol - and Gabapentin). And as a side note, Jeffie, who has been accompanying us down to Cambridge for Sid's consultations and began by shaking like a leaf while we were in the hospital, did not tremble at all this trip, so he's learned to be a bit more laid back about the vets, too!

Oh, and they also took video of Sid walking today. They have a copy of the video DH took to show them how bad his mobility was before the op, and they wanted an 'after' version to help with teaching students, so Sid is famous. Jon (the surgeon) has also promised to find us a copy of the photo they took of the corn, but one of the junior vets took it on their phone and he has to track them down. If we get a copy, I'll post it for you all to see.

Thanks for all the support and encouragement. The whole process was much easier than it might have been, but still a bit worrying in the early days.

This is a fantastic report! Thanks for letting us all know.

It's great to hear success stories?

Go Sid!

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

Thank you for the update, it all sounds very good....they are nice people at Camvet ( I used to have dealings with them when I worked as a stud groom). I will continue to think healing thoughts for Sid and his famous corn, or should that be famous Sid and his ex-corn? :hehe