Winters Are Hard On Old Dogs

I don't need specific advice, I'm just lamenting on how hard it is for my old girl this winter. I figured Health and Medical was as good a place as any to talk about it. Tori's 14, and we didn't expect her to see this winter. I'm so happy she's still with us, but life isn't easy for her these days.

The snow is tough enough. We keep things well shoveled for her and have paths through to all her favorite places in the yard. But neighborhood walks are impossible some days as I just can't keep her safe. Her balance and strength are waning and she's fallen a few times trying to walk through snow in the neighborhood.

Today we have freezing rain and everything is a skating rink. I put down ice melt (the kind that's safe for paws) every time she goes out but it keeps getting washed away. And the paths that I shoveled for her are now icy. I hold my breath every time she goes out, especially going up and down the 3 steps from the deck to the yard.

Of course all this difficulty means some accidents in the house. We contain things as best we can, and I'm ok with it. DH, however, is getting frustrated. He tries to be understanding, and never scolds her when it happens, but he is home all day (recovering from surgery) so he gets to clean it up. He can get her to go outside, then half hour later find an accident in the house. I think it's because she just can't move well enough outside to find a good spot to go.

I really hope she's with us long enough to be able to see Spring. I'll be sad if she doesn't have a chance to enjoy being outside in the sun again.

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

Guest PiagetsMom

:grouphug to you and Tori. I've never had a grey make it to double digits, and my Mirage just turned 10, so I feel very blessed.

I send good thoughts and hope that Tori is indeed able to enjoy the sun this spring - I know how much Mirage enjoys his sunbathing and warming up his old bones, too.

Maybe one of those assist harnesses with a handle would help you give her more stability? I know the feeling - I've been leash-walking Diamond, who's ten and has disc issues, because my nerves can't handle watching her on icy stairs.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

I feel for you! It's so hard watching them get old, and trying to keep them happy, safe, and comfortable in this weather.

I lost two thirteen year olds last March, on the same day. The week before, I put a plywood ramp over the three steps own to the yard, carpeted it, and added three narrow cross rails for additional traction. They were using it with no problem that day. One tried to use it before it was finished, and the other was ok with it within an hour. I used old beach towels to throw down over the icy path to the potty area. I used a harness and leash for the one who needed assistance to stay upright. The other was willing to walk around following us to get things moving. Some people have had success getting their dogs to potty on the deck. (not ideal, but better than the house and safer than the yard). Sometimes they just need to know it's ok. Catch some of their urine on a washcloth and put it where you want them to go. If the dog goes in the same place in the house, they can be trained to go on a pee pad . Same process...put their urine there.

Good luck! Hope you figure out what works for you!

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your input and ideas. Most of all, I appreciate your empathy. I know that having an old dog is a good problem to have. :)

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

I agree with you completely. Maybe all the old ones should retire to Florida during winters like this one. :grouphug

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

when we lived in snow country and had a 15 year old greyhound we ended up using small grain sand. the kind you buy in a tube to put in the back of your pickup truck. I spred that everywhere on the ice to make it dirty and it was not slippery. you might try that instead of the ice melt.

Good luck. I kmow the worry you are going thru.

when we lived in snow country and had a 15 year old greyhound we ended up using small grain sand. the kind you buy in a tube to put in the back of your pickup truck. I spred that everywhere on the ice to make it dirty and it was not slippery. you might try that instead of the ice melt.

Good luck. I kmow the worry you are going thru.

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

I could have written this post...we knew our old girl Bess was going to be leaving us sooner rather than later due to intestinal cancer and we sent her off to the Bridge on Dec. 3 on a clear, sunny day. I would never have forgiven myself if we had let her struggle with the horrible icy cold we are now dealing with but I cannot tell you how many second thoughts we have been having.

:bighug we don't have the ice and snow problems here, but I can understand about the difficulties of dealing with an old dog. I had my handyman build a ramp like Neighsayer described and it was a lifesaver for my old guys, I was so glad to have it. I hope Tori makes it to warmer weather!

We had the same problem with our angel Shelby. She was weak in the backend and last winter was very very hard on her. Even with the berm to get back up on the deck and me using my tractor to plow an oval laneway for the pups, it still did not work very well. Often she would have accidents in the house and it can be frustrating especially when she had just been out. Last winter was her last and she left us on her own accord in May, likely because life had become too hard on her.

It sucks getting old for pup and human alike. Good thoughts for Tori and you.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I just put pee pads down for Carrie and let her pee inside during times of crummy weather. The last thing I wanted was for her to fall.

I had 4 of them and just washed the one that was down when she used it, and put a fresh one out.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

We do put pee pads down for Tori and, for the most part, she uses them. It's the poop that is the "problem". I've noticed that having to go kind of sneaks up on her these days and for some reason when it does, her first inclination is to walk :rolleyes::lol so we end up with a trail down the hall. It's well-formed, so it's not the end of the world, but definitely more cleaning up than DH would like to do.

Ah well, such is life. And although DH complains, he takes such great care of her. He let her out this morning after I left and it was clear that she hated it, so he didn't make her go out again before he left for physical therapy. He said he'd just deal with any suprises she left while he was gone. He also dragged out the straw bale (one handed since he has almost no use of his left arm right now) to spread hay along her paths to hopefully help with slipping. I'm just hoping it rains enough to get the paths all the way down to grass before they refreeze.

Guest grey_dreams

I would park my car outside and turn the garage into a potty yard. Get some straw, or fine wood chips and sand, and spread them out to make a nice cushion on the floor. I would let her go in there until the spring :) Keeps her out of the cold and wind, and keeps her safe from falling.

Guest MnMDogs

We do put pee pads down for Tori and, for the most part, she uses them. It's the poop that is the "problem". I've noticed that having to go kind of sneaks up on her these days and for some reason when it does, her first inclination is to walk :rolleyes::lol so we end up with a trail down the hall. It's well-formed, so it's not the end of the world, but definitely more cleaning up than DH would like to do.

Oh how I feel your pain! We are having the same issue with Mork (also 14+), and I'm just thankful he has very firm, bouncy poop since it's much easier to clean up. We're totally in the same boat, and poop free days are fewer and farther between. Do you have a spot bot? We do a lot of spot cleaning, and keep beds covered with easily removable and washable sheets. I also shove a trash bag under his butt on the off chance he will hit that. It's a crap shoot (no pun intended), but as long as I don't step in it, it's a good day.

Gentle hugs to your old lady.

I so feel your pain. Desi is "only" 11, but this ice & snow is NOT his cup of tea.

-12 today with a horrible wind chill. He tried to poop - all 4 legs trembling uncontrollably from the cold.

Tore my heart to shreds. Good thoughts for Tori.....please spring, hurry!

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

13 year old Raina and I are here too......it is bitter cold and we got 12 inches of snow yesterday, I have cleared the patio and some parts of the yard to create a path, but the silly old lady still wants to try and romp through the deep snow, she got stuck in it yesterday and I rushed out to get her back end back under her then she trotted to the door. Thankfully, I only have one step to the yard so entering and exiting the back door is pretty easy. I am finding her feet seem to freeze right now (-6 degrees) and she can't walk, I tried a sock on her most troublesome foot, but it is now lost in the deep snow, guess we'll find it this spring :bgeorge

As a general rule, I don't mind winter - but I do mind watching my senior girl struggle with the elements. I just try to take things moment, by moment and love her to pieces.

Prayers we all make it to spring :beatheart

I would park my car outside and turn the garage into a potty yard. Get some straw, or fine wood chips and sand, and spread them out to make a nice cushion on the floor. I would let her go in there until the spring :) Keeps her out of the cold and wind, and keeps her safe from falling.

This is a great idea!! My garage isn't attached, but it is fairly accessible from the back door, I might have to do this...I was hoping my old girl would just go on the concrete driveway/patio, but she wants to go into the deep snow, we are still working our options...thank you for this idea!

gtsigtest5-31-1-1.jpg?t=1338477409
Mom to Emmi (WM Lickety Split) & Asia (Devious Walker)
Waiting at the Bridge: Shadow, Willow, Tony, Nina, Reggie, Sunny, Webb, Rosie, Rowdy, Ivy, Smoke & Raina

Guest kkaiser104

I'm visiting my family right now and they have one 10 year old grey girl with SLO. I've been taking her out on a leash for them and she's been pottying in the drive way (shoveled). It's -13 with a wind chill around -50 here and the cold makes her feet hurt terribly, even with her boots and coats on

Winters are definitely hard on old dogs (who are the best dogs :heart). I use bath towels out the back door to the landing and on the walkway until the dogs can get to the yard. As ice builds up you can just keep layering if you have to. Rug runners do the same thing. Towels work in icy spots in the yard, too.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

If only we could reason with them and say "it's okay to go *here* (any given acceptable place like a pee pad or the garage) but not *here*". Alas, we do what we can to keep these babies comfortable. I hope to be able to take care of an old dog some day. I lost Grace one year ago at a very "young" 9 years, 11 months.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

My missy was 14 in July..I understand what you are going through. Her LS is advancing...making going out in the icy weather not easy. Last year my son built a ramp for her and she wears an assist harness all the time. Luckily she as had only one pee accident in the house. She does have poop issues..due to the LS. Goes when she isn't aware of it occassionally. I will find (hard) poop on her bed. We sent our Ig to the bridge December 26th...she is now an only dog...having lost to of her greyhound buddies recently and now the Ig..sge is a tough girl, but I feel so bad when she struggles. To top it off...she LOVES to lay out in yard..regardless of the weather ! This morning it was 5 degrees in NY, I had to go outside and make her come in. I

I have a ten year old girl with SLO also. Wondering what kind of boots you use? I give her Vit E, Fish oil 4/day. She's suffered with this for about 3 yrs. in remission for a yr and lost 2 nails in the last month

Many good ideas.

We added a simple roof structure that covers a designated dog potty area (about 15' x 25') next to a house door. It has been more than worth every penny for all our hounds over the years. (Cheaper than vet bills for a serious fall.) Anyone in a heavy snow region would likely need a high pitched roof or A-frame to prevent heavy snow build up.