Winters Are Hard On Old Dogs

Many good ideas.

We added a simple roof structure that covers a designated dog potty area (about 15' x 25') next to a house door. It has been more than worth every penny for all our hounds over the years. (Cheaper than vet bills for a serious fall.) Anyone in a heavy snow region would likely need a high pitched roof or A-frame to prevent heavy snow build up.

Do you have any pictures you could share? Might be some consideration for a spring/summer project......

gtsigtest5-31-1-1.jpg?t=1338477409
Mom to Emmi (WM Lickety Split) & Asia (Devious Walker)
Waiting at the Bridge: Shadow, Willow, Tony, Nina, Reggie, Sunny, Webb, Rosie, Rowdy, Ivy, Smoke & Raina

I second the suggestion for an assistance harness. I have a 15 1/2 year old whippet with neurological deficits and this has been a lifesaver for us. If you go that route, be sure to ask for enough adjustment to the measurements for it to fit over a thick winter coat. The maker is in Florida so that might not be an automatic consideration. You can find this harness on Etsy - just search for "assistance harness".

Guest TexasGreytMom

Jenn -

[[[HUGS]]] to you, your DH and your sweet Tori!

My DH and I can so relate to your post - our baby girl Dora will be 13 in a few weeks and she, too, is wobbly and not so steady on her feet. Fortunately, we live in a mild climate (no snow) and she has no real steps to maneuver. Like your Tori, she has accidents inside our home even though we let her out frequently - and it's rare that she makes it thru the night without an accident. We're grateful that she's a creature of habit and her favorite spot is on ceramic tile. Whew!

DH works from home and is extremely patient, but on busy work days I know it has to be frustrating to take time out from work to do cleanup, mopping, and laundering. Wish we had stock in Nature's Miracle! LOL!

All blood work and tests show no medical issues - she's a healthy old girl with a very weak old bladder. :) About a month ago we began feeding her Science Diet JD dry food and were surprised that it has improved her mobility - she no longer struggles as much to go from a laying to standing position. At this point in her life, whatever gives her a degree of comfort is okay with us - our goal isn't to add years to her life ... just to make each day she has left the most comfortable possible.

In our former home, we built a ramp beside our back door steps (covered in astroturf) and it worked really well for our other senior pup.

In reading this thread, it sounds as if Dora is in very good company - lots of sweet, old kindred spirits here! Just wanted to pop in and wish you well with your sweet old girl! :)

I know you said you didn't need specific advice, but having a tripod who is aging, I have the same problem with ice and slipperiness. We find ashes and cinders much more helpful than trying to keep the ice melted. It stays on the top of the ice or snow, and providing you don't get a fresh fall, it continues to help with grip for days.

You are obviously doing a great job with your old girl, bless you both!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

You are all so sweet! I really appreciate you all taking the time to share your stories, experiences and ideas :)

Laying down straw worked wonders and now Tori can wander the yard safely and comfortably. Walks are still hard as the whole neighborhood is one big sheet of ice. We can only walk in the middle of the street (which is safe, luckily, in our very quiet neighborhood) but Tori hates to walk anywhere but the sidewalk, so right now walks aren't fun for either one of us.

We should warm up into the 30's on Friday, then have a few days in the 40's. Hopefully that will melt off some of this ice and things can go back to normal, at least until the next snowstorm.

I'll be looking into a harness and will be checking into some supplements again. We used to give her Joint Health, but when they changed the formula a while ago she stopped wanting to eat them. I recently tried Fresh Factors, but she won't eat any of her meal if they are in her bowl. She eats great otherwise, though, and I don't want anything to jeopardize that. If I remember correctly, Greyhound Gang sells supplements in powdered form and I'll give that a try. She currently takes both Meloxicam and Tramadol to keep her comfortable.

Bless all of you that have cared or are caring for an old dog. It isn't always easy, but what we get back makes up for our efforts a thousandfold :wub:

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

My 12.5 YO uses Greyhound Gang supplements. I give him glucosamine, MSM and Vitamin C. I sprinkle the powder on a slice of lunch meat and let it soak in. Then, I roll it up around his fish oil pills (he won't eat them and I hate to shove things down his throat) and he gobbles it all right up. I have begun using CMO, as well, and the weather has been awful and it's too early to know if it is helping.

I tried a harness with him and he refused to move if he had anything wrapped around his chest.

He is also taking gabapentin and robaxin. (In addition to a wonky lumbar spine, he has tendon damage from an attack at his previous home and corns on 3 feet.) The things we do - happily - to keep our seniors healthy and happy. Hugs to your gal!

BRING ON SPRING ALREADY!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Do you have any pictures you could share? Might be some consideration for a spring/summer project......

I don't have photos but it's a free-standing covered pergola with a slightly higher roof pitch on one side similar to these: http://www.hometips.com/how-it-works/patio-roof-construction-diagram.html Only the posts are cemented since it's over the ground (instead of over a full patio slab). Clear polycarbonate pre-cut roof panels are available at home center stores, etc. This type of shelter provides ample covered dog potty space, excellent air flow, and natural light. (Helps to see dog poop for easy daily clean up, or better yet, clean after every outing. Excellent air flow reduces heat in summer months.)
A few tips for any type of dog potty area shelter:
- Ensure structural safety for all seasons (particularly snow and/or wind). An angled roof prevents rain from pooling, or weight from snow.
- Plan to accommodate adult size humans' upright height for cleaning during/after each dog outing, and for appropriate air flow.
- If possible, consider direction from which snow/rain storms approach when deciding size needs and placement.
- A hose bib close by comes in handy.

I don't have photos but it's a free-standing covered pergola with a slightly higher roof pitch on one side similar to these: http://www.hometips.com/how-it-works/patio-roof-construction-diagram.html Only the posts are cemented since it's over the ground (instead of over a full patio slab). Clear polycarbonate pre-cut roof panels are available at home center stores, etc. This type of shelter provides ample covered dog potty space, excellent air flow, and natural light. (Helps to see dog poop for easy daily clean up, or better yet, clean after every outing. Excellent air flow reduces heat in summer months.)
A few tips for any type of dog potty area shelter:
- Ensure structural safety for all seasons (particularly snow and/or wind). An angled roof prevents rain from pooling, or weight from snow.
- Plan to accommodate adult size humans' upright height for cleaning during/after each dog outing, and for appropriate air flow.
- If possible, consider direction from which snow/rain storms approach when deciding size needs and placement.
- A hose bib close by comes in handy.

Thank You for the links!! I have an uncle who is very handy, might be consulting him on this project, since I expect to always have at least one senior hound :beatheart I hope everyone's seniors are hanging in there, looks like a lot of us will be getting a thaw which should help some.....come on spring!

gtsigtest5-31-1-1.jpg?t=1338477409
Mom to Emmi (WM Lickety Split) & Asia (Devious Walker)
Waiting at the Bridge: Shadow, Willow, Tony, Nina, Reggie, Sunny, Webb, Rosie, Rowdy, Ivy, Smoke & Raina

• 2 years later...
Guest bernadette

Winter is here, we (in NJ) are expecting our first big snowfall of the season this weekend. I found myself concerned about my senior and turned here for support. Although two years old, I found this thread helpful.

Vinnie will be 13 in August. He is definitely slowing down, his eyes are not what they were (probably nuclear sclerosis)- we just built a ramp in the house so that he would again be able to take the two steps into the living room. He has become more hesitant outside when navigating ups and downs or the little dusting of snow that we have had so far. He has LS and is on Gabapentin, Tramadol, Meloxicam, fish oil and glucosamine. He eats about once a day, is holding his weight and still loves his treats. He has boots and a coat, but I sincerely worry how he will do when the snow comes.

Although there are great suggestions all through this thread, we live in a townhome community with plenty of rules so structures and straw are impossible.

My fingers are crossed for the next few months. I wish so much it were May and warm enough for my sweet boy to be able to lay in the sun again, the way he loves to.

Guest FordRacingRon

I looked at the first line of this thread and thought I would have to post. Leia is 12 3/4 and for sure I didn't think I would see her this (or last) winter.

As far as bad winter,,I live outside of Los Angeles so winter is ,,,well,,,meh. Leia likes it under 70 so when it gets to like 50 outside she is in heaven. She spends most of the evening hours lying around in the grass. She doesn't like to come in after dark. The dog that never wanted to hang around outside now can't get enough. This started when she was 10.

I'm posting because, although it's summer here, I am watching my old boy Benny struggling. It's just that time of year. Instead of freezing temperatures, we are dealing with 40 degree C days, high humidity, thunder storms and no relief. I know he feels the heat terribly. He doesn't sleep, pants constantly, and gets very confused ...... At least he can go outside, but I know it exhausts him. I wouldn't trade him, but I can't wait for winter.... These older dogs just steal our hearts, don't they?

Just had to post here as I was surprised to see this thread pop up. We lost Tori later in 2014 at 14 1/2. Reading about the issues we had with her actually made me smile. Such minor problems in the grand scheme to things, and a small price to pay for the love and joy she brought to us! How nice to think of her today, even if it was to be reminded of her peeing and pooping in the house :lol

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

Guest bernadette

Oh, I am so sorry. I wondered when bringing this thread back if that were the case, my condolences. I feel like I am in a very similar place that you were, in 2014. It is so difficult to watch them age and winter weather does not help. :(

Oh, I am so sorry. I wondered when bringing this thread back if that were the case, my condolences. I feel like I am in a very similar place that you were, in 2014. It is so difficult to watch them age and winter weather does not help. :(

Please don't worry! I'm glad you found this thread helpful - there was a lot of good information shared here. As you can see, many people have been where you are. It is hard to watch our dogs age, and the cold, snow and ice certainly doesn't help. Best wishes to you and Vinnie :)

Guest IrskasMom

This Snowstorm we are having right now all into Sunday reminds me of this past Winter with my ailing Morty .It was unbearable and it brings back so many sad Memories .

Guest bernadette

I am sorry to hear about Morty :(

I was comforted to know that this weather with a senior grey was not all in my own head. he is so much slower, not always so sure of his steps, now with his eyes going- it is so stressful, I just want to keep him as protected as I can. The ramp inside has been great for him, but I know the snow outside is going to be more challenging this year than previously.

This Snowstorm we are having right now all into Sunday reminds me of this past Winter with my ailing Morty .It was unbearable and it brings back so many sad Memories .

I know, me too. Last winter with Shana was brutal and painful to remember, but it comes flooding back as soon as the snow and/or ice is around.

And how I loved Tori :beatheart:beatheart

ho5U2p6.jpg?1

Riley's lost a lot of muscle mass in his back legs in the last year, and his eyes are starting to show signs of old-dog sight issues (vet confirmed). Sand is my best friend -- it doesn't take much to break through the slipperyness of ice (or of icy snow when the weather is so cold). Mushers Secret on the feet helps a bit with the cold, but I wouldn't bother with boots (Riley detests them, and why make this a problem). When the cold gets bad enough to turn the snow into crunchy ice, I walk Riley's favorite path in the backyard (to break down the ice) ... and I'm fully prepared to turn the garage into a potty room if necessary (right now, though, the 2 steps into the garage are really quite steep, so I'm starting to think of collecting materials to build a ramp).

One of the inexpensive catalogs (Harriet Carter?) has some roll-out snow mats that my mother ADORES ... she uses them to ensure traction on her deck, and at 82 years old, I'm thrilled that she uses them (for her own safety). the material is a loosely woven fabric that looks a bit like coconut 'hair' ... its advertised as providing an option over slippery ice. If I needed it, I wouldn't hesitate to line my back patio with the stuff.

I also increased the lighting in my side 'dog run' (my neighborhood has resident skunks, so I had a 2nd fence added to my side yard for nighttime potty breaks) ... the lighting is motion sensored & directional, so its ideal for Riley's failing eyes without annoying neighbors with big spotlights. I also had to add vinyl clings to the bottom of my storm doors and sliding glass door (after Riley went full-throttle into the sliding door a few weeks ago).

Big hugs to you and your senior sweetie!!