And The Bad News Is.....

My Bwat needs surgery. :(

We've been fighting anal gland infection for over a month now. We started on two antibiotics, and when they didn't work did a culture and ended up with two different antibiotics for 2 weeks each, one of which is a daily injection. Which she didn't like.

We had a recheck last night and there was still blood in the glands, so we've made the decision to have them removed. It's not a big surgery like amputation or splenectomy. But she is 9 and any surgery is risky.

She goes in next friday (6th). I'm going to be a nervous wreck. She had surgery this summer to remove dermal hemangiosarcoma, and last summer to have her leg plated. So, she's had plenty of surgeries. But........ sigh.

That's the little stinker in the middle

041.jpg

Literally stinker! hee hee. Anal glands smell like roses. :yay

In all seriousness though I hope all goes well. :) She'll be a happier camper when it's over and she's recovered from the surgery. Anal gland problems are not fun.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

I actually had a vet tech talk me out of this surgery as I was dropping Daisy off. He told me his own dog ended up with fecal incontinence as a result of this procedure.

Another GH mom told me to try extended use of the AB--It was over a month, IIRC. It ended up working and we avoided the surgery.

Hoping all goes well for your pup.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Had a foster dog with a similar problem. The vet ultimately decided the best course of action was a series of procedures where they cleaned out the anal glands & then packed them with some anti-b ointment/salve/something-or-other. It was done repeatedly for a few weeks. Dog had to be lightly sedated each time but wasn't fully out. It worked. The infection cleared & never returned. Was all that better than having one surgery & a couple weeks recovery? I'm not sure. The foster tolerated it all pretty well & she certainly was better off in the long run. Just can't say with certainty that it was easier on her than surgery.

Best wishes for a complete resolution of the problem & speedy recovery. I have a soft spot for your cute, speckled Bwat. Nine is still young. A friends dog just had a malignant tumor removed that included anal gland removal. She came through surgery with flying colors. The hardest part for her seemed to be related to the cone of shame but they got through it. It was only until the sutures were removed & that wasn't so very long. Whatever you choose I'm laying high odds that da Bwat will do well, very well!

My lab had the surgery and did not have any problems with incontinance. It can be a risk though from what I have heard. It doesn't sound like you have any choice though. Hope it goes smoothly. My dog had a sudden infection that literally showed up overnight. I saw it bulging when I took him for his morning walk. He was at the vet by noon. It exploded through his skin and all over the floor in the vet's waiting room! THE most disqusting, vile smelling mess ever! Better to take care of it now. Anal gland problems often become chronic.

Have you discussed all the cons of this surgery with the vet. When Larry had the issues, and he has had it a few times, it took longer than 1 month to resolve in a few of the cases. Maybe you need another antibiotic - did they culture what they got from the anal gland? While surgery can always be an option, it is irreversible.

What a good-looking crew! :beatheart

Good luck! I'm sure all will go well.

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

Yes we cultured after the first two failed antibiotics. I asked them what is the use of the anal gland and they said it's more for marking than anything else. Not used for lubrication or anything like that.

They can do without the anal glands but, the risk comes with the surgery (any surgery is risky). There is a real possibility of fecal incontinence and it's not rare. The infection possibility is also pretty high.

Tbhounds mentioned packing - has your vet suggested this? Consider checking to see how many your vet has done and the results of those - see if they will provide the names of people that have had them done for their pets.

Hope the surgery is routine and the recovery is speedy.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

The problem is that one of the bacteria is highly resistant. There is only one antibiotic left that might work and I prefer to save it for any infection after surgery. The vet said he's never had anal incontinence or fistula, two of three complications. But he's had the occasional bleeding two days after.

And unfortunately, both anal glands are infected. It's a tough call and I've talked with the vet at length. I'm going forward with the surgery. And the biggest reason is that this is enterococcus. Extremely resistant.

The problem is that one of the bacteria is highly resistant. There is only one antibiotic left that might work and I prefer to save it for any infection after surgery. The vet said he's never had anal incontinence or fistula, two of three complications. But he's had the occasional bleeding two days after.

And unfortunately, both anal glands are infected. It's a tough call and I've talked with the vet at length. I'm going forward with the surgery. And the biggest reason is that this is enterococcus. Extremely resistant.

It is a tough call - good luck with the surgery, hopefully there will be no complications and she heals well. Let us know how it goes ...

Hope the surgery goes well and she heals nicely.

Note, tho, that there's no purpose in "saving" an antibiotic for use later rather than using it now. If the organism is susceptible to it, it's susceptible now. If there are organisms cause infection later and they're susceptible to that antibiotic, you can use the same antibiotic again.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.