Dremels

I know we've had a number of threads about dremels, but since models change, I wanted to start a fresh one. Can anyone suggest a good dremel I can buy today at Home Depot? Also, what about the sandpaper? I know it comes in different "grits". What do I buy and how does the system work with respect to more or less "gritty"? Other than the dremel and the sanding belts is there anything else I need? I keep putting off buying a dremel but I'm tired of having Chase acting like I am literally cutting off his paw every time I trim his nails.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

I have a very old model, so I can't really suggest which one to buy.

I will watch this thread however, as I probably should replace it soon, as it does not keep charged very long.

Mine is a 'mini' rechargeable. I have small hands and dont't think I could handle the full-size ones easily.

I get the 'roughest' sandpaper available...and make sure the battery is fully charged.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

home depot sells a number of different dremel kits. the only different is that they include more or fewer accessories. if you want, you can just get the tool itself and the little sanding drum attachment that looks like this

r19866v15.jpg

that one bit will last a very, very long time, and works perfectly for trimming nails. the sell extra sandpaper sleeves, which you can buy if you want, but you really wont need them for a very, very long time, if at all.

I replace my sandpaper quite frequently....every 6 -8 weeks or so...but I am trimming 3 dogs, every other week.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I just replace sandpaper as needed...not too often and they're cheap.

Get one that goes up to 35,000 RPM...I put mine on at full speed. Then just touch touch touch quickly. No heat on their toenails and it gets done fast and efficient!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Mine, too, is an old Home Depot rechargeable model. Maybe it depends on the dogs' nails? I didn't change the sanding drum for a very, very long time (years?), and that was dremeling (at the time) three hounds Every Single Week. I was waiting for the drum to drag or be less efficient but that didn't happen. No change when I had five hounds. In the past couple of months, tho, it has begun to not hold the charge as long but it's still going. Now I may do two or three dogs the first day and the others the next day, but keeping up with their nails every week makes it less of a chore and less to dremel. (Yeah, every week. I'm weird. I know :lol )

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I do Carrie's and both iggies once a week. They grow fast. I did Pinky and Fritz's every other week and Ace's about once a month (her toenails grew SO slowly I'd barely have anything to trim even after a month!)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

I have a Model 800, lithium-ion rechargeable battery. I had a smaller rechargeable which was easier to maneuver, but it finally stopped recharging after 8-10 years and I already had the other one (sold as a "multi-tool" with a million attachments :lol ) . I use the 60 grit sanding bands and go through 3-4? a year with 2 dogs. If you have anybody with black toenails, that'll eat up sanding bands. White and horn nails, not so bad.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I have two.

I use this one on the dogs who don't like the Dremel. It's smaller and easier to manipulate and the tone is higher:

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Tools/Pages/ToolDetail.aspx?pid=1100

The other is more like this style:

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Tools/Pages/ToolDetail.aspx?pid=8100

But mine is older and the speed adjustment looks different. I don't recall the maximum power, but the overall shape is similar. It's more powerful and has a deeper tone.

I use 60 grit bands. I find that it helps to change them fairly frequently--I can spend less time and/or use a slower speed with a fresh band.

Edited by GreyPoopon

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I wonder if I am buying the wrong sanding tips for mine ? Seems like I can only get about 2 trims before needing a new one. I buy the replacements at Amazon.com when needed for about $3.

I don't know what model I have either but it works great and Ruby seems to enjoy it. Mine doesn't hold a very long charge and I recharge it before each use. Have to admit though, I wait way too long in between trimmings.

Karen

Ours is a cordless rechargeable Dremel 7300 bought from amazon.com. We use a finer grit than the head shown in the other post and get about three months worth of trims for our two dogs out of each head. I never thought to use a rougher grit - will have to give it a try. I agree with the other post about making sure it is fully charged each time.

Theresa (Tess)

Mom to Elliott (Sol Flasher) and Lea (PTL Lea)

We've gone through about 5-6 Dremels. Our current Dremel is model 8000-03 which is working very well, and holds a charge nicely. http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Tools/Pages/ToolDetail.aspx?pid=8000-03&WT.ac=SPT_8000_8000-03

We also use 60 grit sanding bands, and sometimes 120 for an extra smooth finish. (If we leave nails too rough, they tear up our carpeting doing zoomies.)

If newbies are reading: We're careful to not stay on one nail any longer than 3 seconds. This helps prevent painful heat build up in dogs' toes.

I have the same one and love it! My last one was the Minimite, and it was good until the battery would no longer hold a charge after several years. I bought a replacement battery for it, but it wasn't much better. Bumped up to the 8000-03 and it's much faster, with more adjustable speeds than the old one which only had two. Not as comfortable in the hand compared to the smaller one, but I like how fast it gets the job done.

I got mine at Amazon.

We've gone through about 5-6 Dremels. Our current Dremel is model 8000-03 which is working very well, and holds a charge nicely. http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Tools/Pages/ToolDetail.aspx?pid=8000-03&WT.ac=SPT_8000_8000-03

We also use 60 grit sanding bands, and sometimes 120 for an extra smooth finish. (If we leave nails too rough, they tear up our carpeting doing zoomies.)

If newbies are reading: We're careful to not stay on one nail any longer than 3 seconds. This helps prevent painful heat build up in dogs' toes.

I used sand paper for years then my husband suggested the stone, I think you call it a grinding stone. The rougher the sand paper , my dogs were annoyed and it wore fast. With the grinding stone, they don`t feel as much. It does take down the nails and they are smooth. Never went back to sand paper. After some years am still on the first stone.

For the newbie who owns a dremel and "new use" bells went off.....

Is this an alternate to clipping or in addition to clipping? Or both?

PJ <--the wimp who still has to take the dog to the groomer to get them cut

dixidoll -- stone is OK if you're really careful. Gets very hot very fast so not recommended for taking much off. The pros I know use the stone only for finishing after clipping.

PJR107 -- both. Either to smooth edges after clipping or instead of clipping. Clipping is faster. Dremel makes it easier to get all the way down to the quick without hurting the dog, especially on dark nails.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

For the newbie who owns a dremel and "new use" bells went off.....

Is this an alternate to clipping or in addition to clipping? Or both?

PJ <--the wimp who still has to take the dog to the groomer to get them cut

It can replace clipping, or you can use it after clipping to smooth the nails. Next time you take your baby to the groomer, ask them to grind (or Dremel) the nails instead of clipping them. And maybe ask if you can watch.

Done right, it doesn't make nails bleed and it's usually less stressful for the dogs. It doesn't put the pressure on nails that a clipper does. It often can be done with the dog lying down, and it's easy to do just one or two nails at a time if doing nails is something that stresses you and/or your dog. (Do it during a commercial break on TV--a nail or two during this commercial, a nail or two more during the next.) Also, you can take off small amounts safely with the Dremel; clipping off "just a little" with the clippers is bloody near impossible (with emphasis on the "bloody").

I've worked as a groomer and don't mind dremeling nails--would rather Dremel than clip. But my eyesight is a problem (have to hold the nail the right distance from my eyes), so I let the groomer Dremel my girl's nails because she's difficult about it. (She has a corn, and she's worried that you're going to squeeze that foot and make it hurt.) Sam's easier to do, and since he doesn't squirm it's easier to see what I'm doing, so I do his nails (and he hates car rides, so taking him to a groomer for nails would be cruel).

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I have been dremeling for 10 years now...its so much easier than clipping! Even my tougher customers have eventually gotten used to it after just a few times.

Fritz used to fall asleep while I did his :lol

Thank you to everyone about dremel info. We started her training and while the dog doesn't mind the tool itself, she really hates the sound of it on. Reminds me of sitting in the dentist waiting room and listening to the noise in the back....

So I broke down and took her to that big box store to get her nails grinded....I think I was more nervous than her! But all went well and now she has short nails :)

Thanks again and hopefully she will get used to the noise of mine but until then at least I know they can get done without her carrying on.

-pj

Guest oldgreymom

Another newbie here. I bought a dremel when I first got my grey and haven't used it yet. How can you tell when your dog's nails need to be dremel-ed or clipped? The quick seems to be right on the edge for my guy and his nails haven't been trimmed in 6 or 7 weeks. (The groomer did it the first time)

Another newbie here. I bought a dremel when I first got my grey and haven't used it yet. How can you tell when your dog's nails need to be dremel-ed or clipped? The quick seems to be right on the edge for my guy and his nails haven't been trimmed in 6 or 7 weeks. (The groomer did it the first time)

If you hear his nails clicking, they need to be ground back. When your dog walks, he should be walking with his pads on the ground, not his toenails. Occasional clicks when someone runs or hustles around the corner or jumps up and down--that's not so bad. But clicking during a normal walk on asphalt or concrete or floor tile should not be happening.

It's very difficult to trim/clip nails and take off only a little. But it's very easy to grind nails and take off only a little bit. This means that even if your boy's quicks appear to be on the edge, the nails can still be ground. This is especially true if the quick is near the edge on the bottom of the nail, but the part clicking on the ground is the front tip that's further from the quick. You can grind that front tip and leave the other part of the nail alone.

Keep in mind that not all nails wear down the same. The center two nails--especially the center two nails on both back feet--tend to wear more on all dogs because of how dogs walk, particularly for dogs that walk a lot on asphalt or concrete. The inner and outer nails on all feet are more likely to turn under than wear down as your dog walks. So if you take a lot off an outer nail, don't think you need to take off the same amount on the nail next to it.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Dremel-3000-Series-Variable-Speed-Tool-Kit-3000-1-25H/203040434

the sanding bands are around $3.80 a pack

we use ours for other small jobs around the house, so i am glad that i purchased the enitre kit. i have used it for cleaning up my cracked heels, installing the new kitchen sink- the hole in the counter needed tweeking, small sculptures, planter's warts and callouses...the list goes on when you have a wide variety of heads on the tool. homedepot had the royobi dremel on sale- a whole $24!!! bought it for a friend whose dogs i regularly dremeled. personally i perfer the original.

but i do find that one needs to be diligent and dremel regulary. i have taken really long nails back w/ regular cutting and dremeling- every 5 days the dogs had their nails done for 1 month, then once a week for the next month, then every other week. they looked great!

Guest oldgreymom

Thanks so much KF_in_Georgia. That may have been the best explanation I have ever had for trimming nails. I totally see what you mean about being able to round off the tip even though the quick is near the bottom. Makes total sense now. Also reading How to Dremel Dogs Nails, so thanks to the rest of you for your help as well. I have a feeling I will be using this forum very frequently!!!!