Sara Has Ls

Guest Yankeegreyhound

Guest Yankeegreyhound

Not sure how many of you are on the GT facebook page but I posted the other day about Sara. She has been having trouble on and off with her back leg (only back leg - she's a tripod) but last week it got really bad and it was almost as if she was dragging it. I started giving her tramadol daily. She didn't seem to be in pain, just unable to walk very well. The vet came by today (I'm at work, she went to my house) and said that it's LS. She gave Sara a cortisone shot and we're hoping that will relieve some of her pain but she can only get that once a month. Accupuncture is an option if I can find someone local or at least close by. Another issue is her teeth. 6 months ago the vet checked them and they weren't that bad but since then, they've gotten very bad. The vet said she won't do a dental on her at this point. The vet is going to call me later so we can talk over the phone.

This is killing me. I don't want her to be in pain but I don't ant to let her go. It's that fine line again. I know someone posted a while back and list of some sort to help make this decision. Can someone send it to me please?

Oh, I'm so sorry. You may want to consider gabapentin. It can really help with nerve pain especially spinal issues. Acupuncture is an excellent thing to try as well. Hope you find a combo that can keep her comfy & happy.

Christine, I am so sorry to read of Sara's LS diagnosis - as if she hasn't gone through enough already. I think the LS is more critical to treat now than the teeth. Hopefully the shot kicks in and you can find an acupuncturist.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Aston was diagnosed with LS in April. We noticed that he had hind-end weakness and shaking (in his 'good' leg -- he severely favors the other due to his recurrent-corn foot), was losing traction, and started refusing to go upstairs. We've had him on Robaxin (BIG help), tramadol and gabapentin. Not sure whether the latter two are helping. I've also had him on Cosamin and fish oil for awhile. I am thinking of looking into acupuncture, since he is still pretty shaky. It does suck to know that he's been diagnosed with one of the management-not-cured conditions :( , but we're doing our best to find the best combo for buddy. :grouphug to you and Sara.. as mentioned on Facebook, every LS situation is different. Keeping you both in my thoughts!

I'm so sorry to see this. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Just hugs. Lots and lots of hugs.

(I don't have that list but will see if someone else does.)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Aw, Christine. This is so hard. Our Paulie is so frail and shakey so we tried cold laser treatment for him. It seemed to be working, but the car trip was killing him. Our vet is about 26 miles each way and Paul hates being in the car. He made himself so frantic, he literally collapsed at the vet. We took him for two treatments and he could make no more trips.

I put his food down and he runs to the dish, I pick up his leash and he heads toward the door, but most of the day he lays on his bed. He struggles to get up and laying down is worse. So what do we do. We love him and try to make the pain better. I can't make it go away. We continue to try anything that will work, until Paul gives up.

So, you see, I have no good advice for you. Just sending you and your girlie warm hugs from Delaware.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

There is a list (post #4) and a link (post #6) in this topic:

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/296494-laryngeal-paralysis-in-an-almost-13-year-old/

I am so very sorry about Sara. :grouphug

Edited by GreyPoopon

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Gabapentin has made a huge difference with Joe's comfort level - he's been having mild issues for the past year that really flared up in January and went downhill in May and now that he's on gabapentin, he's no longer shaking or doing weird things with his bad leg.

We're also doing acupuncture and have seen some positive results with that :)

Sending you guys good thoughts!

Forever in my Heart Joe T Greyhound, Charly Bear, Angel Daisy, and Katze & Buzz Kitty.

Missy has had LS for quite a few years. She will be 14 in August. She takes fresh factors, joint health plus for supplements. Accupuncture has helped her a great deal. Initially I didn't see improvement until after, maybe 4 treatments. She now gets it weekly. Luckily, she comes to the house. Has had depo shots. Had been on meloxicam for years ( no longer; can't tolerate it). She takes tramadol and gabepentin, (100mg/ 2-3 times a day). The addition of gabepentin helped a lot. Also was getting adequan shots. Now that is not available, we located a " generic" version: "Ichon" . I will be asking my vet about the addition of amantadine. I read on here it helps the other meds work better.

Sorry you are going through this.

Guest Yankeegreyhound

Missy has had LS for quite a few years. She will be 14 in August. She takes fresh factors, joint health plus for supplements. Accupuncture has helped her a great deal. Initially I didn't see improvement until after, maybe 4 treatments. She now gets it weekly. Luckily, she comes to the house. Has had depo shots. Had been on meloxicam for years ( no longer; can't tolerate it). She takes tramadol and gabepentin, (100mg/ 2-3 times a day). The addition of gabepentin helped a lot. Also was getting adequan shots. Now that is not available, we located a " generic" version: "Ichon" . I will be asking my vet about the addition of amantadine. I read on here it helps the other meds work better.

Sorry you are going through this.

Sara gets her first accupuncture tonight! I wonder if it's the same person???!!! Who is your vet? I might ask about adding gabepentin. The cortisone shot has helped. It took a few days but there is a remarkable difference. How much tramadol does she take? Sara's only on 1 pill a day but I might go up to 2x a day. She also takes deramaxx for her arthritis. She has SLO so she's also taking fish oil, vitamin E, niacinimide and an omega 3 mix.

All the supplements in the WORLD will not--CAN NOT--help LS.

George is on Deramaxx (for overall inflammation since he is 11) and Gabapentin. He seems comfortable.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

No, supplements will not correct LS but sometimes certain supplements can aid certain dogs. There are supplements that can make a difference on inflammation & pain. Response varies considerably from one dog to another. Just as acupuncture can help but response varies with the practitioner and the individual dog. It is all trial & error with a hefty dose of YMMV. When things like supplements, acupuncture, massage, physical therapy, etc do work you have the opportunity to keep the other meds to a minimum while still keeping your dog comfortable and happy. I wouldn't discourage someone from trying.

Guest Yankeegreyhound

No, supplements will not correct LS but sometimes certain supplements can aid certain dogs. There are supplements that can make a difference on inflammation & pain. Response varies considerably from one dog to another. Just as acupuncture can help but response varies with the practitioner and the individual dog. It is all trial & error with a hefty dose of YMMV. When things like supplements, acupuncture, massage, physical therapy, etc do work you have the opportunity to keep the other meds to a minimum while still keeping your dog comfortable and happy. I wouldn't discourage someone from trying.

Exactly. Nothing will cure her but it's my job to make her as comfortable as possible for as long as possible and I'm willing to try everything within my means. (ok, maybe not everything but everything my husband will allow me - the $250 accupuncture was a hell no but if there wasn't an alternative, I would have considred it!!!)

I'm happy to say that Sara did well for her first accupuncture. She was nervous at first but calmed down and relaxed towards the end. I actually noticed a little difference already this morning so, fingers crossed!

Guest Yankeegreyhound

So glad for the positive update Christine!

I think she heard me talking to Fabio about possibly leaving her home for Grapehounds. :o