Crating A Greyhound Overnight?

Guest ariaadagio

Guest ariaadagio

I just got a new greyhound last week. This is my first dog, so I don't have much experience, though my rescue came into my home and showed me how to work on training her to live with my cats, and I've been dilligently working on it a little each day. While my dog is totally fine around the cats when they're not running around, I'm having trouble convincing her not to chase after my kitties when they dart somewhere. I'm trying to show her through repeated corrections that this behavior is not appropriate. Unfortunately, though she has been lightning fast at picking up everything else I've tried to teach her, I don't see the cat chasing behavior showing any signs of abating anytime soon. I don't feel comfortable allowing them to comingle when I'm not there to supervise and/or intervene. I've ruled out the use of baby gates as an effective way to keep her and the cats separated, because while my dog does respect the gates, my cats simply jump over them.

The rescue said never to crate my dog, their reasoning being that now that she's been placed in a home, she should have freedom that she didn't have when she was younger and racing. However, I think if I have to continue keeping my dog and my cats completely separate when I'm asleep or out of the house, it may drive me to insanity. I love to have my kitties sleep on my pillow. They are as much my babies as this new dog is. What has resulted is me closing my bedroom door and trading off which pet gets to spend the night in the room, which I feel is a bad solution, particularly for the dog, because dogs are so much more social, and for me, because the air circulation in my house is effectively halted (I have no AC).

It crossed my mind today that a crate could be a benefit in this situation, in that I could crate the dog next to my bed while I'm sleeping and not have to worry about my cats while I'm not awake to supervise. I'm also thinking that crating the dog overnight may help the dog and the cats get to know each other a little better, since their interactions currently are limited to when I'm home in the evenings, and this would increase the window of potential interaction. Am I off base, or do you think getting a crate for my dog to sleep in overnight is a solid plan? Is keeping the dog in a crate for 6-8 hours while she can see me, and she would otherwise be sleeping anyway, a bad thing?

Thanks for the advice!

Edited by ariaadagio

Guest jbbuzby

IMO not at all. Crates can be a touchy thing, but all the rescues I worked with recommended it, especially for that reason. Greyhounds are crated for much of their life, true, but it's also a familiarity and source of comfort for many. One of my dogs LOVES crates and would love it if we had one up for her all the time (sadly, we just don't have the room), but my other hound freaks at being confined, though he is perfectly fine if he can see me. But I'd say borrow one and give it a go. Put a frozen peanut butter kong in there with the dog at night with a fluffy bed and tell the dog "shhhh" if it makes any noise. It will probably be quiet once it knows you're right there :). A nice long walk before bed will also help. Good luck!

We crate them for their own safety when we go out. Crates are part of their lives, they are their own little apartments where they can rest and be along. Some love crates, some do not crate well. I would think with cats your adoption group would have given you a greyhound that likes crates.

Greyhounds can be cat safe but when cats run or dart around, all bets are off.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Guest june

I don't see anything wrong with crating and agree with jbbuzby. Another option, at least at night, could be an x-pen.

Good luck.

I'm not a crate person but I don't see anything wrong with trying that.

Suggestion for your kitties: Pull all your furniture a bit out from the walls -- so the cats can get behind if need be but the dog cannot follow.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest FreeholdHound

I crated Harry nightly & when I went out for several months after he arrived. Now the door is left open and he chooses to nap in there throughout the day & most nights. He never had a problem. Comfy bedding, an attached water dish, and a blanket thrown over it - it's his cozy cave. I am amazed at how different groups are with their policies. Some are mind boggling to me. Do what's best for your household :)

Gosh, I must be a terrible person then. I always crate for the first couple of months home. I have small critters and I just don't want my home destroyed (we also rent still so that's a further consideration). My puppy has been crated every day since 8 weeks old and I can seriously see her being crated well until she's 2-3 years old.

I even crated Summit who had been in a home for 2.5 years before I got him as a bounce.

I love crates and baby gates. I think they are a dog's best friend (well, most dogs as some really can't be crated).

My puppy is crated all day. I come home at lunch to let her out and play with her for a bit. And she is crated overnight. She spends a lot of time in a crate. She doesn't mind. She's totally happy in there and she gets lots of attention, training, and exercise during the hours when she IS out of her crate. That part is important.

Freedom is earned in my household.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Currently one of mine sleeps in a crate next to my bed. The other sleeps in a dog bed next to my bed. Everyone sleeps peaceably through the night. :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Although I am a 'crate person'...all 6 dogs we've owned over the past 30 years, before we had Greyhounds, were fine with crates...in fact they all loved their crates.

However...not all Greys do well in crates.

Ruby chewed her way out of hers in her first home and Nigel did not do well in one at his first home.

We did not even try to crate them when they arrived here.

However...your new hound may love a crate...you'll never know until you try!

I don't have any house cats, so I'm sure if muzzling your hound would work to keep the cats safe.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Mine are all crated at night. I used to have them all upstairs with me. Then I got one who didn't want to come upstairs, and every grey added since then has been crated overnight. The last of the originals is now crated too because she can't do the stairs.

They're fine with it. Everyone is safe and happy.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Another crate fan here. I have two cats who have always slept in the bed with my husband and me, and I didn't want our getting a dog to change that (not to mention, they'd scratch/meow/find ways to torture us all night if we tried to shut them out of the bedroom). With our current setup, Sweep can see us from her crate, the cats get their much-needed dog-free time, and my husband and I sleep easy knowing everyone's safe and sound.

Every night after her final potty break, Sweep comes inside and immediately runs up the stairs straight to her crate, where she knows her bedtime treat awaits. We have had her six months now and she has slept through every single night; she rarely even cries to be let out in the morning. (I will admit she's a little more resistant to the crate when she suspects we are leaving home without her, but nothing major; it helps that I work from home.) The more positive a place you can make it, the better—so, as others have said, treats, comfy bedding, and perhaps a sheet or blanket over it to make it more den-like will probably all help. I understand that it's not a workable solution for all dogs, but it's definitely worth a shot in your case!

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Guest OPointyDog

We crate here too - Mika would tear the house down otherwise, but he is completely content and happy in his crate - no whining or crying. When left out, he destroys EVERYTHING and still chases the cats after 6 months in our home, so I'm not sure he'll ever be left out unsupervised. We're all OK with that.

Ours know the routine, too, and Zoe will go get in her crate as soon as she sees me get one of the "crate cookies." They only get Blue Dog Bakery biscuits (which they LOVE) when they get in their crates, so it means they will go running in there and see it as a nice reward.

Guest kkaiser104

I think it's worth a shot. Teddi was one of those greyhounds that didn't deal well with a crate, but he had to be restricted to a room with a baby gate and then in a muzzle until he was trusted with free reign in the house. The muzzle still comes out if he's having a naughty streak and won't stop getting into things.

I'm a crate fan; I always have at least one available for the dogs to go in and out of as they please. Also, for the first few months (at least) I crate when I'm gone until they adjust to being in a house. Being in a house is a completely new, and sometimes scary experience for them. As much as we want them to have freedom sometimes it's not for the best.

I would recommend trying the crate at night for everyone's peace of mind, safety and well being. My guess is your furbaby will take to it and feel safe there. Only one of my 5 didn't like the crate.

Nothing wrong with crating. When used appropriately, it's a wonderful training tool and safety measure. My group actually requires that foster homes use crates. IMO, adoption groups that discourage all crating because of the assumption that crates are cruel and greyhounds have been 'locked up' the whole time they've been racing really don't understand what the life of a racing greyhound is like. And they are often taking away something that can give the dog a sense of security and familiarity during their transition to home life, as well as prevent a lot of problems and frustration for the new owner. Sure, there are some greyhounds that don't need it, or decide they'd rather not be crated after they've been loose in a house, but some actually do better if they have access to a crate and space to call their own.

You might also want to check out this recent topic:

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/298510-perceptions-of-the-crate/

Edited by JJNg

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest D_MansMommy

i'm not a crate fan but i did use one with Donovan. he was supposed to be "cat safe" but he tried to eat my kitties. we crated him at night and did the kitty training. we also set up a baby gate opened just enough so the kitties could go down to the basement for peace and quiet. it took about a month for them to live in harmony :) TC was totally cat safe so no more crates.

Congratulations on your new Greyhound! :)

Smart to use a crate when cats are involved during a newly retired hound's adjustment period. Yes to an appropriately sized strong metal crate (includes secure top). (No soft-sided crates that savvy hounds can rip open in seconds.)

We are pro crates for many reasons, and use them for fosters, new adopters' homes, and for our own younger hounds for their own safety and cats' safety. We have to have crates for our "cat workable" fosters.

I have heard of adoption groups that are so against crates that they won't adopt to anyone that even suggests using one.

I have always crated my dogs when I go to work or leave for longer periods of time. I also foster and all are crated when I leave until I can be sure the foster is OK with the cats and will not be distructive when I leave and they are loose.

My current foster is supposed to be cat workable and I would say he will be OK...eventually. He's not that great now but it's only been 1 week. She's keeping a low profile behind the baby gate and has access to my room, bathroom where her food and litter box is. He is very interested in her, but is not totally obsessed with her.

If she is doing OK with them when they are quiet, then eventually she should be OK with them when they are active. That will take more time.

One issue I find is even though they may of been crated fine at the track and adoption kennel, many do not like to be crated when an only dog. I've had previous fosters crate fine here, but once adopted as an only dog will destroy a crate to escape them at their new home. I also give my dogs a couple of dog bones when they go in their crates.

The other is without crating support from your adoption group, you will have to buy a kennel. Some groups might let you borrow a crate for a month or so until the cat issue solves itself.

Willow( Hi Tech Popandgo ) CGC #31965 Calico Salad x MayPop 8-9-93/9-24-07 Austin( Nodak Austin ) #55202 Chrisse's Twelve x Lotsa Liz 2-25-96/2-15-05 Matt( Kelsos Metaphor ) #90695 Oswald Cobblepot x Kelso's Movita 8-10-00/2-28-14 Buddy (Aljo Class Act) #78137 Action By Design x Miss Classy 12-8-98/8-29-09 Sonny (Onaim Excalibur)#97927 Flying Train x Rough Diamond 9-7-01/1-9-2016Hunter (SS Snow Roll) #35135 Craigie Whistler x Lightning Snow 10-4-2005/9-23-17 Leo (Yolo Empleo)#72060 4-13-18 Fiesta Paraguas x Mega Bien Hecho

We have 6 hounds. 3 are crated at night, 3 are not. Of the crated ones, the only one really needs to be is the youngest, he might get into trouble- like wanting to play with everyone and play barking! :) I don't think he's tear the place apart anymore. For the other two it's their bed. They are 8 and 7, so don't need to be crated, they want to sleep in their crates at night.

Any fosters we have are crated at night and if we go out.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Guest ariaadagio

While I'm definitely not going to be able to ask the rescue for a loaner crate, I have a friend who is heavily involved in Akita rescue who may be able to give me a loaner just to see if my dog tolerates crates. Thank you for the suggestions -- they've been very helpful!

While I'm definitely not going to be able to ask the rescue for a loaner crate, I have a friend who is heavily involved in Akita rescue who may be able to give me a loaner just to see if my dog tolerates crates. Thank you for the suggestions -- they've been very helpful!

Good luck! If it works out and you need to buy a crate, I got a good deal on Amazon (of course, eBay and Craigslist are probably good options too). Petsmart and other brick-and-mortar stores are usually much more expensive in my experience. If it helps for reference, Sweep's about 60 lbs and does just fine (i.e., can stand, turn around, and roach) in this 42" Midwest crate: http://amzn.com/B000QFT1RC.

Let us know how it goes!

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

The rescue said never to crate my dog, their reasoning being that now that she's been placed in a home, she should have freedom that she didn't have when she was younger and racing.

Okay, between this and the soloxine, I'm REAAAALLY questioning the reputability of this rescue.

Short answer- yes. Use a crate.