Acepromazine For Thunder Fears?

We discovered that Bonnie has a fear of thunder when we had a storm a few nights ago. At first I thought we had a medical emergency, as I had left the room for a few short minutes, but returned to one shaking, panting and pacing little girlie.

While picking up our Peewee's (kitty) medication today, I mentioned Bonnie's thunder fear to the vet. He said we could try using a DAP diffuser, which I'm not very keen on. They have been tried at the shelter where I volunteer, but we're not impressed with their performance.

The vet also mentioned acepromazine, but before I okayed the prescription, I remembered reading a few posts from some who are wary of how it performs. The vet I use is also the chief vet for one of our largest greyhound adoption groups, so he's very savvy; I've trusted him for many years. Although I would feel very uncomfortable about questioning his recommendation, I still think it wise we discuss all options. For those of you with hounds who suffer thunder fears, how do you help him/her through it?

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.
Forever Home on December 20, 2012
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
My Etsy Shop

Guest Clawsandpaws

Well, I don't know much, BUT after Dudley's tail amp he was given acepromazine because he was waking up from the anesthesia and freaked out in his kennel... I'm not sure what kind of dosage you were prescribed... I would never want him to have it again unless it was 100% medically necessary, he was a different dog, I believe it is a sedative where the dog is awake and aware, and the effects of the drug can actually make them panic more. It pretty much knocked him on his ass, so to speak. Isn't there something less extreme? Maybe try a thunder shirt first?

From what I've read here about Ace, I wouldn't want to use it.

Have you tried a Thundershirt? For many dogs, it works really well. Your local pet store should carry them -- AND the pet store will also have a return policy should you find it doesn't work. It helps with Summer, as long as I get it on before the boomers start. She will still go up to my bedroom alone (this is the only time she will go there on her own) but instead of hiding and shivering on the floor, she will get onto the bed and actually go to sleep. I'm good with that! :)

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

THUNDERSHIRT!!!

This is one of the best dog products I have ever bought and one that I will actually tout!

Follow their "training" instructions. :)

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

After reading about Ace I am strongly against using it for dogs who are fearful. Its tranquilizes the body and does not address the mention/emotional fear. For my thunder fearful girl I use the thundershirt. It must be on before the storm or else it is useless. You also should introduce the shirt when it is a normal day and give treats. Do this a few different times to acclimate her so she doesn't always think shirt=storms and fear. I use Xanax for situational fear and anxiety to keep Zoe more comfortable. Melatonin is also a good choice that does not require vet prescription.

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

If you need more heavy duty meds, valium and xanax are much more appropriate than ace. Ace is a sedative, not an anti-anxiety medication, and so does not address the real need. Plus, many greyhounds have VERY bad reactions to it.

DAP products, melatonin, Rescue Remedy, various other herbal products, thundershirt - all have worked for some people. You just have to keep trying to find the one that works for your girl.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

No ace. I tried it once with Joe, and it made him sloooow, but clearly more miserable. It was scary. Xanax is good. It doesn't knock him out, and it doesn't totally fix the anxiety, but he can settle down next to me and deal with the storm.

Can you leave a thundershirt on a dog when you aren't around? There are days when I think it's going to storm, but it's too early to drug when I go to work. I usually don't leave the dogs alone and wearing clothes, but a thundershirt ???

ACE has it's uses, but not for anxiety! My former vet talked me into trying it for Fletcher's fireworks fear. Never again! Valium works best for Fletcher, and Xanax works best for Sallie (thunder AND fireworks :rolleyes: ) Both work better that ACE

I'd try the DAP collar, seriously. And put a diffuser in your house. My friend's girl went from "we're terrified she'll overheat because she's so freaked out and she SCREAMS" to "she lays on her bed and will pant a little but usually goes to sleep" on the DAP collar with a diffuser in the house.

If meds are needed, I highly suggest Xanax. Definitely not Acepromazine.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

No ace. I tried it once with Joe, and it made him sloooow, but clearly more miserable. It was scary. Xanax is good. It doesn't knock him out, and it doesn't totally fix the anxiety, but he can settle down next to me and deal with the storm.

Can you leave a thundershirt on a dog when you aren't around? There are days when I think it's going to storm, but it's too early to drug when I go to work. I usually don't leave the dogs alone and wearing clothes, but a thundershirt ???

Yes, we have left the TS on when we leave. We try not to though as we don't want to diminish its' affects. The TS is VERY tight fitting.

With that being said, we both work nights. We have woke up in the afternoon, have seen a storm coming, slapped the TS on our freak dogs and gone back to sleep with no problems.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

We used the Thunder Shirt for Toley and his SA when we first got him in January. It made a HUGE difference. We actually let him wear it all day for about 3 weeks while we were at work, to make sure he was comfortable and secure at home alone. Then I transitioned to jammies for about a week, then nothing. Now if we go out at night (rare, but it happens) I will put the shirt on him. We tried one night without, and he was very agitated. Next time with the shirt he just layed down in his bed.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

Thundershirt!!! I'd forgotten there was such a thing; it's on today's to-do list. I'd also like to try melatonin, but at one time it was banned by Health Canada~~any Canucks know if it still is? If it's available, how to calculate dosage?

I will definitely talk to the vet about your acepromazine experiences. It sounds like torture to be physically zonked yet still have your fears unaffected. If we need to go the drug route, I will ask for something that does help alleviate the fear.

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.
Forever Home on December 20, 2012
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
My Etsy Shop

IF you can predict when the thunderstorms are likely to happen, and the Thundershirt doesn't give sufficient relief, then I would go the Xanax or Valium route. Those are short-term drugs, and need to be given before the stressful event (for example, Katie got her xanax for her 10:30 class today at 8, to give it time to kick in before class). If thunderstorms are going to be frequent and difficult to predict, and Bonnie's reaction to them is extreme, you may need to look into one of the SSRIs. Those are given daily, and take at least a month to get to therapeutic levels, so they wouldn't be my first choice, but may be an option in some circumstances. I'd want to discuss that very carefully with a professional, because you would need to do additional drugs in the short term while the SSRI built up.

I would only use Ace as a very last resort, where the dog is panicking so much that (essentially) paralyzing them is going to stop them from killing themselves by battering themselves against walls, through windows, etc. But there is a lot of stuff you can try before that.

77f6598d-2.jpg

My blog about helping Katie learn to be a more normal dog: http://katies-journey-philospher77.blogspot.com/

Guest greytkidsmom

Agree with the thundershirt - the trick is to get it on BEFORE the thunder.

Thunderstorms were predicted the other night - I put the shirt on Kebo at bedtime and when the thunder woke me up I found him snoozing downstairs in front of the fireplace. It did eventually wake him up but all he did was to come upstairs and breathe heavy for a few minutes. I invited him up on the bed with me and he went right back to sleep. Without the shirt he would have been pacing and panting and standing on the bed over me.

Good luck!

10 mg of melatonin is the dose recommended for a big dog.

Guest BiancasMom

I agree, Acepromazine is not meant for anxiety. It is for sedation only. I also have a Thundershirt which probably helps but if the anxiety is severe enough you will need chemical help. I used Trazadone last year (Fourth of July) and it works great! No anxiety, the dogs just seemed "chill". They were not sedated and could easily get up and go potty outside (not true when we used valium in the past) and ate/drank normally. My grey weighs 72 pounds and I gave her 75mg of Trazadone.

NO on the Ace!

My Jade was a severe thunderphobe. Lots of things worked just a little, but when added together, there was a difference. We used the DAP diffuser, thunder cape (shirt wasn't around yet) and clomiperine. The other valium type pills only made her VERY hungry. Almost dangerously so, she would literally jump into my lap to get at my food.

I'd never do Ace though.