Easing A Food Change Without A Transition?

Guest kmcmcf

Hello everyone! Already searched the forums and didn't find anything on this subject, so hopefully no one minds the new topic.

Here's my issue: I'm picking up my first grey in a week or so, as soon as she gets spayed, and as far as I know, the adoption kennel does not use a grain-free food. However, I have EXTREMELY severe and sensitive celiac disease, which means if I so much as bring a food with gluten into my home, I'll get sick - I already know this from my cat's food, and no matter if I wash my hands, wear a face mask when opening the food, whatever, I still get sick if the pet food contains gluten.

This means that the only possible pet food I can have in my house is grain-free, which means that she's going to have to start eating it as soon as I get her home. I know this isn't going to be good for her, and I care about her health just as much as mine, but I know that if I end up in the emergency room for a half-day because of gluten contamination it's going to affect her settling in a lot more than the inconvenience of bad elimination or gas on her part.

So! If anyone has any recommendations on how to ease an abrupt change in food, I'd really appreciate it - I already know pumpkin's supposed to help with constipation, if I remember correctly? And rice to firm up, and I'm going to start off with a food that is at least from the same protein source (chicken, game, fowl, whatever) as the non-grain-free food she's getting at the kennel. I also thought of adding a dollop of organic/hormone-free pro-biotic yoghurt. But, like I said, if anyone has any other recommendations, I'd super appreciate it :unsure

Edited by kmcmcf

Guest OPointyDog

You might try FortiFlora - it's a pro-biotic powder that you can put on their food, and I've found it useful to help in food transitions. You can order it online or get it from a vet.

Would the adoption kennel be willing to do the transition for you if you took them some of the food you plan to use? Even if they could transition the dog over 3-4 days that might ease things.

The potential good news is that some people on this forum report that they abruptly change their dogs' food with no problems so maybe you'll get lucky!

You might try FortiFlora - it's a pro-biotic powder that you can put on their food, and I've found it useful to help in food transitions. You can order it online or get it from a vet.

Would the adoption kennel be willing to do the transition for you if you took them some of the food you plan to use? Even if they could transition the dog over 3-4 days that might ease things.

The potential good news is that some people on this forum report that they abruptly change their dogs' food with no problems so maybe you'll get lucky!

Unfortunately the kennel I'm adopting from is 6 hours away (one-way drive, 12 hours roundtrip) which kind of outs that idea and I wouldn't want to inconvenience them like that anyway, but I'll add a small thing of fortiflora to the amazon order with her new dog toys and crate and things next week, thank you!

>>Would the adoption kennel be willing to do the transition for you if you took them some of the food you plan to use? Even if they could transition the dog over 3-4 days that might ease things. >> :nod:nod:nod

Yes, that can happen too and the worst they'll get is gas. What does your doctor advise over your extreme reaction to the presence of gluten products in the home? Maybe keep the food in a shed?

Guest 2greys2cats
Hello everyone! Already searched the forums and didn't find anything on this subject, so hopefully no one minds the new topic.

Here's my issue: I'm picking up my first grey in a week or so, as soon as she gets spayed, and as far as I know, the adoption kennel does not use a grain-free food. However, I have EXTREMELY severe and sensitive celiac disease, which means if I so much as bring a food with gluten into my home, I'll get sick - I already know this from my cat's food, and no matter if I wash my hands, wear a face mask when opening the food, whatever, I still get sick if the pet food contains gluten.

This means that the only possible pet food I can have in my house is grain-free, which means that she's going to have to start eating it as soon as I get her home. I know this isn't going to be good for her, and I care about her health just as much as mine, but I know that if I end up in the emergency room for a half-day because of gluten contamination it's going to affect her settling in a lot more than the inconvenience of bad elimination or gas on her part.

So! If anyone has any recommendations on how to ease an abrupt change in food, I'd really appreciate it - I already know pumpkin's supposed to help with constipation, if I remember correctly? And rice to firm up, and I'm going to start off with a food that is at least from the same protein source (chicken, game, fowl, whatever) as the non-grain-free food she's getting at the kennel. I also thought of adding a dollop of organic/hormone-free pro-biotic yoghurt. But, like I said, if anyone has any other recommendations, I'd super appreciate it :unsure

Probiotics have always made my two greys' poops worse. Try Perfect Form by the Honest Kitchen. It's really good for transitioning, especially with abrupt food changes as it soothes the digestive tract. If you order it now it should be there in time. Also, for what it's worth Solid Gold WolfKing food is gluten free.

Edited by 2greys2cats

>>Would the adoption kennel be willing to do the transition for you if you took them some of the food you plan to use? Even if they could transition the dog over 3-4 days that might ease things. >> :nod:nod:nod

Yes, that can happen too and the worst they'll get is gas. What does your doctor advise over your extreme reaction to the presence of gluten products in the home? Maybe keep the food in a shed?

I'm 6 hours away one way and 12 hours roundtrip, which kind of rules that out, but thank you - and lol I know more about celiac than my doctor does tbh, but I live in an apartment and he agrees that the only thing for it is to just keep it entirely away (wheat in food dust or flour remains airborne for 24 hours once stirred up, and since washing my hands or wearing a mask doesn't work it seems like nothing much would. pesky little sticky molecule, gluten!)

I just switched my dogs food fairly abruptly, even though I didn't mean to. She got diarrhea from a turkey back so I put her on a boiled rice and chicken diet for 2 days and then sprinkled in a handful of her new food, the next day it was half and half and the next day the new food. She is fine, no gas, and no diarrhea. I switched her to TOTW bison and venison and she loves it..............so far

And congratulations on your new grey. Love is just around the corner !

Edited by Busderpuddle

Karen

There's many many hounds who get their food switched with no transition whatsoever. There was a fairly recent thread about this although I don't remember any details. I have never slowly changed ANY of my dogs from one food to another and I've never had a problem. Being a new dog, though, you'll have to keep an eye on her in case she actually does react and perhaps show you that she has a sensitive tummy.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Pumpkin and/or probiotics /yogurt do not work for all hounds. Some get worse on those things. If the food switch indicates that you need those things while you are changing the food, make sure you only use one at a time with at least a few days between each addition, or you won't know if it's the food, the pumpkin or the other stuff actually causing issues. Start with the food first - if you get no diarrhea or other stomach issues, you are most likely good to go. Good luck with your new pup!

We gave Rocket pumpkin once - that's the first time I ever saw a liquid poop cannon.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Pumpkin and/or probiotics /yogurt do not work for all hounds. Some get worse on those things. If the food switch indicates that you need those things while you are changing the food, make sure you only use one at a time with at least a few days between each addition, or you won't know if it's the food, the pumpkin or the other stuff actually causing issues. Start with the food first - if you get no diarrhea or other stomach issues, you are most likely good to go. Good luck with your new pup!

We gave Rocket pumpkin once - that's the first time I ever saw a liquid poop cannon.

Figured one at a time was the way to go - I've got a ton of experience with that for human elimination diets back when I was first getting a diagnosis, so thought it probably wasn't that different for dogs :nod

If your budget allows it maybe you could call the kennel and ask if they'd be willing to start the switch for a nice donation? Maybe a check or PayPal to cover the cost a bag of grain free of your choice plus $20 - $40 more? I'd think most adoption groups wouldn't have a problem doing that in a case such as yours. Pumpkin and yogurt have never worked in the least here - except as tasty add ins to kibble. They did nothing for diarrhea.

She'll probably be fine with a cold turkey switch. I've bailed lots of greyhounds out of pounds and shelters and none of those sent food with for transition. ;). Can think of only one or two bad cases of the runs which both happened in very nervous dogs.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

boarding my dogs- once they ran out of my kibble (with increased activity their intake went up) and they did just fine on their food. remember the pup was on something different prior to it's foster home. they seem to survive. some dogs have cast iron guts, others are more sensitive- like people. go w/ the flow and enjoy your new pup!

She'll probably be fine with a cold turkey switch. I've bailed lots of greyhounds out of pounds and shelters and none of those sent food with for transition. ;). Can think of only one or two bad cases of the runs which both happened in very nervous dogs.

they seem to survive. some dogs have cast iron guts, others are more sensitive- like people. go w/ the flow and enjoy your new pup!

thanks for the assurances y'all - i feel a bit silly about being so concerned, but i guess it's better to be a well-prepared worrywart than to not care :rolleyes:

Edited by kmcmcf

I've fostered a fair number of greyhounds, and they all got a 100% immediate food switch when they came here.

Some had great stool from day one, most had some soft/runny stool for a while and a few didn't handle it well.

Chances are, your hound will be more or less fine with the abrupt food change.

If you want, you could always cook up rice and chicken or beef as the majority of the hound's food at first, and gradually add in your kibble of choice. That usually works pretty well.

I had one foster who really had an especially tough time with finding a food to work, even home cooking didn't do the trick. What did work was to add digestive enzymes to his food (I used Digest-All). It was like a miracle - perfectly formed stool within a day of his first meal with the supplement added.

Good luck!

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

I would just go straight onto the new foods with nothing added. On the first day or 2 feed 1/2- 3/4 the recommended amount. (this way if theres diarrhea, theres less of it.) The poop will probably be poise for a few days no matter what since moving is stressful for the pups. Don't worry overly much. My fosters are straight off the track and have some soft poop and the cold turkey transition isn't a problem.

I posted about this awhile ago, and lots of people commented saying their dogs did fine on a "cold turkey" switch. However, my current two plus two of my fosters had varying symptoms of digestive upset from switching food. The most common were diarrhea, gas, and rumbly bellies. A few times, the symptoms became severe enough that they required a vet visit and prescription Endurosyn (as even bland diet wasn't cutting it). My friend's greyhound got extremely sick and lost 10+ pounds following a food switch. I might be the minority, but I never recommend that people switch cold turkey. From my experience and all the literature I've read on the subject, the safest way to switch is a gradual transition over 10-14 days of the 25%-50%-75% method. If you can't do that, I definitely recommend a probiotic like Forti-Flora or Holistic Transition to help through the process. Also, if you could continue using a food with the same protein source (chicken, beef, lamb, whatever), your greyhound may fare better.

Keep in mind that when you first bring your dog home, he or she will most likely be under a good deal of stress, which causes diarrhea anyway. Changes in the diet + stress = a recipe for disaster if you're not careful.

Guest iclarkz
Pumpkin and/or probiotics /yogurt do not work for all hounds. Some get worse on those things.

OMG, laughing. Me too, Rocket. . . . .me too.

Guest Melissa516

Eagle Pack makes something called Holistic Transition. We've used their Holistic Solution supplement with much success. It might be worth looking into.

Guest Melissa516

When we first got Ginger, we had the same kind of issues... I call it redecorate the house diarrhea. There was a drop cloth under the crate for a reason. Poor girl.

Anyway, unbeknownst to us, we did a cold turkey food switch on her. Our adoption group sold us a big bag of food that wasn't what she was used to eating. No one told us, and we didn't know any better at the time. Combined with the stress of a new living environment, it wasn't a good thing, to say the least.

If you are worried about a cold turkey switch, start her on homemade beef or chicken and rice and gradually add the new food in. No need for all those pricey probiotics and such. The yogurt and pumpkin are fine, but you won't know if they are hurting or helping if you use them right from the start

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Guest sirsmom

I would just start with 1/2 of the new food recommendation on the bag and make white rice the other half for a day, then on next day add more kibble and less rice til by about day 4 you are 100% new food.

We have been adding 3 teaspoons of low fat yoghurt to Peggy's meals and she loves it and her stomach has been ok whilst changing to a new food. So I would recommend it :)

Good luck with your new girl!

One of our dogs came to us with bad diarrhea from a food he had been given. (I know this is not the case with your dog). I changed a foods abruptly and it was firm the next day. He is still on that food. I hope that the transition will go well and congreytulations with your new Greyhound!

ETA the new food he is on is grain free also.

Edited by mom2four

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Pumpkin is used to FIRM the stool, not for constipation. Rice is used as a bland diet. It has no firming properties that I know of. And forgive me, but isn't rice a grain??

Anyway, when I picked up my dog, I was all set to feed him that night--the food his foster home gave me. Turns out it was full of mold (yeah, she had been feeding him moldy food) so I had no choice but to switch him. He had diarrhea anyway (gee, you think maybe you should have had that treated?), so it really didn't get all that much worse.

The problem is this: what if the dog you end up with CANNOT eat a grain free diet?

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck