Do You Have An Aldi Near You?

Guest FrankieWylie

Aldi is the best kept secret. I do not shop at other stores unless necessary.

I save a ton of money.

Usually just use them for baking needs as I've had a few of their private label items be not so good (which has tempered my enthusiam for Trader Joe's arrival here...but the fresh sweet potatoes @ 3# for .49 were a major score.

Also think I dont like to go in there too much as the expectations made of the workers just sort of depress me. They are all purpose which is a great cost cutting measure - and I guess why thay are so cheap. But the poor guys and gals serve as cashiers - then if their checkout is not needed at the moment they run to the back, wheel out a pallet and start stocking. Then when they are needed they run back, stash the pallet and go to the front and check...rinse and repeat.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Yes, $0.99 a can vs. $1.49 Publix brand or $1.89 Libby's brand is just too much of a savings to pass up. I always stock up on pure pumpkin after Halloween and all during Thanksgiving and Christmas because they don't stock it in the off-season around here.

I'm buying more and more Aldi off-brand items, because it really does save me lots of money. I find no fault with most of the items I buy (half and half, probiotic yogurt, cottage cheese, sliced deli cheese, Rotel-like canned tomatoes and chilis, Frendh-cut green beans (for the dog), canned sliced mushrooms, tomato sauce, canned diced tomatoes, mini cucumbers, red/yellow peppers, etc, except the quality of their paper towels is poor so I continue to get brands like Bounty, Brawny, and Viva at Publix because they are stronger. I don't buy much of their fresh meats but sometimes buy frozen seafood. Now when I make my shopping list, I first go to Aldi and then finish at Publix.

Also think I dont like to go in there too much as the expectations made of the workers just sort of depress me. They are all purpose which is a great cost cutting measure - and I guess why thay are so cheap. But the poor guys and gals serve as cashiers - then if their checkout is not needed at the moment they run to the back, wheel out a pallet and start stocking. Then when they are needed they run back, stash the pallet and go to the front and check...rinse and repeat.

That is how my jobs at K-Mart and Hecht's (now Macys) when I was a student were always done. We were all trained to stock and run a cash register - whatever was needed and could vary throughout the shift. :dunno

As for the OP... nope, never been in an Aldi although there is one about 10 miles from us.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

We've an Aldi locally, though i prefer the similar Lidl. We occasionally go and most food is fine, some things are more expensive than our usual supermarket and the choice is less so i don't do a full shop there. I hate the checkouts where they sling everything through so fast, even if your the only person there.

Do they have the random special offer items over there like gardening, cycling, DIY stuff?

That is how my jobs at K-Mart and Hecht's (now Macys) when I was a student were always done. We were all trained to stock and run a cash register - whatever was needed and could vary throughout the shift. :dunno

Same when I was in retail, but that more like folding sweaters and filling in displays - Not jacking up a full pallet with canned goods stacked 6 ft. high then taking the pallet to the back and jacking it down when called to your register. Maybe it is just my Aldi but the people that work there always have an air of panic to them as they scurry past.

technically if you've been trader joe's you've been to Aldi since it's the same company. :lol

That's why I said Aldi's private brands (except baking goods) had tempered my excitement about the upcoming Trader Joes here.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I've been shopping at ALDI for at least 20 years and there are only a few things that I don't like and buy elsewhere - their ketchup being one of those items - never liked it from the start, and even trying various versions that they produced over the years - I guess I just prefer Heinz.

Our local grocery stores here are not large chains, but more medium sized chains (Schnuck's, County Market, IGA). They are outrageously expensive. I can fill a cart for $100 at ALDI and have most of what I need on my list. That same order at one of the local stores is usually close to $300. For the price difference, I can bag my own and look at a non-fancy label.....

For the person who asked, ALDI here does have the seasonal goods like gardening, toys etc

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Same when I was in retail, but that more like folding sweaters and filling in displays - Not jacking up a full pallet with canned goods stacked 6 ft. high then taking the pallet to the back and jacking it down when called to your register. Maybe it is just my Aldi but the people that work there always have an air of panic to them as they scurry past.

You never worked at a K-Mart then. :lol I'll admit that Hecht's was pretty cushy, but I only had that job one summer. I spent three summers and school breaks working at the Big K with my trusty red apron with my box knife ready to move pallets, stock shelves, trek back to the warehouse to put boxes in the compressor and run up to the register whenever I was called (this was long before self check-out stations).

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

i have a lidl about a mile from here. have a hard time telling them from aldi. good cheap stuff, many german items not available in the UK supers. not as much choice. xmas time is great with all the marzipan, pfeffernus, stollen, and other german xmas bakery goods.

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

I've got Lidl just half a mile away! Aldi about 20 miles. Easily save 33% on most things and if you try the European things you're not too familiar with you'll soon find out what you were missing.

Usually go in Lidl first and then walk to the town's 'upscale' Waitrose which is on the other side of the retail park area.

Another Lidl fan here in the UK. A more limited range than the Asda next door but often cheaper - and foods they do have are often much better quality - e.g. meat, cheese, smoked fish, chocolate, jam, at this time of the year European Christmas goodies like panettone and stollen ... Doc likes their packs of pigs' ears and tripe sticks too!

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Guest PhillyPups

I love Aldi, it is right across from my PATCO station, so I will zip in and out after work on my 5 minute commute to my home :lol:lol

The employees at my Aldis never seem "hectic/panic" but are always pleasant.

Love Aldies. The checkers/stockers are always very nice and pleasent. They often greet the older customers by name and joke with them. They are much happier than the employees at our local Walmart who seem to angry or depressed and apathetic most of the time.

Guest IrskasMom

As for the OP... nope, never been in an Aldi although there is one about 10 miles from us.

That is what we all have to do. Wherever you are needed , thats what you do ( for $ 8 an hour )

Guest poofmagk

Aldi's is great. We have lived in an area without them for the past couple years and it makes a huge difference in your grocery bill. Also I love that sometimes they have german foods like lebkuchen.

I've only seen Aldi in Spain. Didn't know they were in the US, too.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I've only seen Aldi in Spain. Didn't know they were in the US, too.

We have one close to us Robin, so if you are ever in the neighborhood.

I miss the Lidl, switched from Aldi to Lidle when I lived in the Netherlands because Lidle was marked as having the best fresh department of any grocery store in the Netherlands.

And it was cheap, so perfect when you are a jobless single Mom.

But I am happy with my Aldi here, specially around this time of year with their European specialties.

Will pop in today, see if they have some pumpkin left.