Summer May Have Lymphoma

Guest lynne893

Our wonderful Timber had alimentary ("GI") lymphoma in 2009. Poor thing had loose stools with mucous and blood for months and it took nearly 7 months to diagnose her. The vet insisted allergy or IBD, but intuition told me it was worse than that. She'd lost so much weight.

Timber hated the vet, too, and we weren't made of money, either. She was 9.5 years old so we went the Prednisone route and that brought so much energy, pep and appetite in her last 3 weeks. It was worth it and we were so glad to give her some zest back. Unfortunately, the medicines dropped in effectiveness after that point and I knew it was time.

That said, I didn't know Ohio State did chemo meds for free (it's one of the reasons the Greyhound clinic at OSU is now on my annual charitable donations list) and I didn't understand how well dogs tolerate chemo.

Good luck in any decisions you might have to face. Most importantly, Summer knows she is loved. That is the only thing that matters.

Hugs to you both.

I'm so sorry you're facing this. I'm sending tons of "something else, more easily treatable," thoughts your way.

But on the topic of being scared of the vet - I had the same worries with Gabe, who would actually try to climb all 80 pounds of himself onto my lap out of fear. It turned out to be a total non-issue with the oncology office. The office didn't smell clinical, they always had nice comfy beds for him, and the vet techs made such a big fuss over him. I'm tearing up just thinking about how happy he always was to go see "his girls." i never saw hin scared or nervous there. It may be that we just got REALLY lucky, but I like to think most oncology clinics are a little more comfort-centered. If it comes to that (and hopefully it won't), chemo might not be as scary for her as a regular vet visit.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

As it turned out.....it was a much more aggressive cancer than lymphoma, and was already spreading. The vet said she couldn't rightfully recommend any treatment for Summer, so she recommended a vet who would come by the house and let her go. Summer passed on quietly today at 2:15 p.m.

Magdalene

So sorry for your loss! :(

Rest in Peace Sweet Summer

It's nice that vets will come to homes and help them cross over the rainbow bridge.

Unfortunately my Molly passed away on our way to the vet and I couldn't drive safely back home.

I'm so sorry for your loss :( .

Godspeed, sweetheart.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I am so sorry for your loss.

Edited by RedSquare

Taunya and her Supreme Grace, Anna - Sharsanna (Kiowa Sweet Trey x Camden Coming), Surge (no races), Kelsos Yorktown (Trent Lee x Kelsos Spotswood), Galgo Espanol - Valentin. Forever waitin' on Red (Kiowa Mon Manny x Bella Ionic).

I'm so very sorry. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

I'm so sorry to hear how sick she really was...my heart breaks for you. I've been in the position where you have to make a decision the same day as the diagnosis and it can really be overwhelming and painful.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I'm so very sorry ......

Lee: (RR's Busy): Oswald Cobblepot X Lively Layla (10/14/97 - 01/22/10) ; Cool: (P's Cool Runner): P's Raising Cain X My Cool Runner (3/3/97 - 12/26/09) ; Nutty: (Itsanutterbutter): State of the Art X Itsalmostsaintly ; Waterproof: (KB's Waterproof): Oshkosh Slammer X Special Lady* ; Sadie: my sweet silly girl: 5/5/98 - 11/26/05

I'm so sorry you had to let her go.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)