Summer May Have Lymphoma

Thanksgiving Day, Summer puked. Heaved a big sigh, wiped it up, ran to the grocery store for foods that settle dog's upset tummies.

Usually, she dives into the 'special foods' when I make them. This time 'round, she pecked at it. Today, she refused it entirely. Off to vet.

Bloodwork and ultrasounds are done, and all stuff must be sent to the lab for confirmation, but the vet suspects lymphoma.

I sure hope your vet is wrong...I'm so sorry Summer is not feeling well :(

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

From the vet diagnosis: "Summer has a several day history of decreased appetite and lethargy. On exam she has abdominal pain. Blood work showed mild elevations in kidney values and severe elevations in white blood cells. Ultrasound showed very large lymph nodes inside the abdomen. The lymph nodes store white blood cells and also act as a 'filter'. I am concerned that she has a cancer that has caused her symptoms. We took a needle sample of the lympth nodes and sent them to the lab for a pathologist to review. Hopefully the pathologist can tell us if these are cancer cells, and if so, what type of cancer."

This just....makes no sense. Summer has a habit that if I step over her, she'll roll over and expose her tummy and paw at my leg, hoping to get a 'tum-tum' (belly rub). Which I always do, rather vigorously. She did this Wendesday morning as I got ready for work (usual habit). You'd think she'd *avoid* that if her stomach hurt.

But then again, Wednesday she was perfectly fine, chasing after Dazzle like a bat of of hell. Then Thursday it went all to hell overnight. It would make sense if she'd acted sick the entire time....

:hope

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Hoping your vet is wrong.

Sending good thoughts out to Summer.

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

I'm sorry. I hope the vet is wrong.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Really hope the vet is wrong. You must be so shocked and worried. Sending hugs for yourself and scritchies for your good girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

So the lab results will be back on Monday, and they want me to talk to an oncologist tomorrow....and I've been doing a lot of reading....

.....and I'm not so sure there's much point in talking to an oncologist.

Everything I'm reading suggests that if Summer has several enlarged (possibly cancerous, obviously, not known yet at this time) lymph nodes, then she's definitely in stage II, possibly even III or IV (that, I wouldn't be sure of).

I had asked the vet that if it does turn out to be cancer, should I just prepare myself to let her go. His response was, "Well, don't be so quick to write her off, there's always chemotherapy..."

First off, thanks for making me feel like a cold-hearted bitch by implying that I'm already writing her off, jerk.

Second, I came home and looked up chemotherapy treatment for dogs for this. Once or twice a month, for about a year.. Summer *hates* the vet with a red-hot passion already. Always has. Shakes and trembles in fear when she has to be there for something as quick and easy as a shot. And I'm supposed to drag her to chemo once or twice a month and make her more miserable over it?

And for what? Everything I'm reading suggests that she'd only live another year, even if I did take her to chemo. Which, as stated above, appears to be something that would happen for the rest of her life, under the circumstances. That wouldn't be living for her, she'd be unhappy and miserable.

And where I'm undoubtedly really going to be made to feel like a cold-hearted bitch....I went about pricing chemo treatment and medication. The sad truth is, I'm not made of money. I can't afford to run up tens of thousands of dollars just to prolong her life another year.

And I'm not sure I can take the misery of knowing I'm just pushing back the inevitable. It won't change things for her and it'll always be in the back of my mind that it's still coming.

I'm sorry that you have received this news. I think you need to take a deep breath and a step back. First off, you need to obtain confirmation that it is cancer and if/when you do, then you make decisions on what path to take. Chemo treatments are not that expensive and OSU provides chemo drugs free, you would pay for your vets time and any blood tests (still not cheap but shouldn't be thousands of dollars). I would suggest getting a OSU consult as soon as possible. As for Summer's reaction at the vet, can you discuss it with your vet to have it done in your car? I have heard this done before as some pups just stress out too much at the vets. That is just one thought, please do not panic yet and if you can provide a year or more for Summer, that is a long time in a dog's life.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Please don't get ahead of yourself--quite frankly it seems the vets are doing just that. It would be odd to me that your hound was fine the other day now they are talking about chemo.

Heaven forbid the path does confirm what you are fearing please consult with Ohio State. Allow them to advise you on how to proceed--as far as I know they are still offering free chemo to retired racers.

Edited to add-it seems that charliesdad and I were posting at the same time---offering the same advise :-)

Edited by tbhounds

Several years ago my grey, 'Flash" was diagnosed with GI Lymphoma. At the time there was nothing aggressive the vet felt they could do and suggested treating the symptoms. Flash lived several post diagnosis,as I remember, he was on prednisone, metronidazole and later of sucralfate. Flash did well on the meds and had many good days until he passed on. I'm sure there are better options now for treatment, OSU was not around then, I wish the best for you and Summer. As I remember, prior to Flash's biopsy, there was talk of this being related to IBD, which, although can be difficult to manage can be treated successfully.

Linda, Jack and Keeva

Will give your vet the benefit of the doubt & say there is some reason, besides what you have written, to feel this may be lymphoma. As others have said though, there are things besides lymphoma that could cause the problem. Dogs can indeed be fine one day & should up with serious problems the next. That applies to both non-cancer & cancerous conditions. Medication & treatments can turn things around almost as fast.

As for your dog's reaction to vet visits, the question for me isn't as much how stressed she is during the visit but how quickly she recovers. I've got a couple dogs here that go into full body shakes the second we are in the vet's parking lot & that continues until we leave. They both recover quickly from this. I hate that they feel so anxious & stressed during the visits but it would not deter me from taking them for even twice weekly treatments. However, if the effects lingered for days afterwards then I could understand the concern. The important thing is to keep the balance of good & bad tipped into the good range. Ex. Dog has 25 good days a month & 5 bad days = good significantly outweighs bad (depending on how bad the bad is)

Go to the vet appointments as suggested. Get all the info & then ponder the what, why, how, when, etc. It's much to early to give up. You don't even have a diagnosis.

Sending your pup & you all the best wishes. Hoping your vet's hunch is off the mark.

Several years ago my grey, 'Flash" was diagnosed with GI Lymphoma. At the time there was nothing aggressive the vet felt they could do and suggested treating the symptoms. Flash lived several post diagnosis,as I remember, he was on prednisone, metronidazole and later of sucralfate. Flash did well on the meds and had many good days until he passed on. I'm sure there are better options now for treatment, OSU was not around then, I wish the best for you and Summer. As I remember, prior to Flash's biopsy, there was talk of this being related to IBD, which, although can be difficult to manage can be treated successfully.

Linda, Jack and Keeva

What I omitted was," Flash had several good months post diagnosis", sorry

I am so sorry you are dealing with this. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Summer. Hang in there.

Taunya and her Supreme Grace, Anna - Sharsanna (Kiowa Sweet Trey x Camden Coming), Surge (no races), Kelsos Yorktown (Trent Lee x Kelsos Spotswood), Galgo Espanol - Valentin. Forever waitin' on Red (Kiowa Mon Manny x Bella Ionic).

Guest bonnebike

Our first grey Delgado was diagnosed with lymphoma. We started on the prednisone regimen with the hope of giving him a few more good months. He didn't last that long, but the meds did perk him up after he started.

Sending some good thoughts your way...