Guest 4rooers

Guest 4rooers

It has taken me over two weeks to be able to write about my Oswald without completely falling apart, and even though tears are falling as I look back over the years together, Oswald deserves the best tribute I can give him, one last love letter to my good, red boy.

Ja King Oswald was born on November 9,2002. His racing career was short, and he came to Star City Greyhounds in July, 2005.

I had adopted my first greyhound, Rippa in February 2006 and in May of that year I bought a house with a fenced in yard. I called Sara in late summer and asked about a companion for Miss Rip. She said Rippa would do better with a male dog, and told me to come walk some boys with Rippa to see if there was one she might like. And so on Labor Day,2006 Rippa and I went to Petsmart where Sara had brought several boys to the meet-n-greet. I walked 3 boys, all of whom Rippa growled at, and then we walked Oswald, a medium sized red boy. No growls during the walk, so I decided to foster and see how they did living together. Sara warned me that Oswald was very attached to her, but if I gave it time, that attachment would transfer to me. The ride home was uneventful, and then they took a turn in the yard. Oswald was very shy, trotting around and didn’t want anyone near him. A love affair between the two of them began that day. Those two always had the other one’s back. They slept on the couch together, explored the yard together, and always took care of the other. I used to laugh and say they had a marriage like my parents, she took charge and he happily followed.2008_0626dogs0003-1.jpg

Oswald became an official member of the family a few weeks later. He was not the perfect dog. He had sleep aggression and fear aggression, but Rippa seemed to soothe him. He also had thunderstorm phobia that got worse as he aged, and firecrackers would send him running. He distrusted men and would bark loudly at any dog that we passed on walks. Home was his haven, and he just wanted to be here.

The next spring, I almost lost him to pancreatitis , and soon after that he was diagnosed with stenosis. My vet suggested acupuncture and I was blessed to find Dr. Quatman. She started educating me on homemade diets, acupuncture and herbal remedies.

When I added to the family in June, 2008, Oswald accepted Ozzie immediately. He never seemed to mind if someone else needed my attention, he was content to be low man on the totem pole. The same was true of Rourke in 2009, Elmo in 2010, and Electra in 2011.

He lost half of his tail to a happy tail injury that just wouldn’t heal in 2008, and had a growth removed on his nose in Oct, 2010 that thankfully was nothing serious. Rippa had a growth removed at the same time, and unfortunately, we lost her 6 weeks later. I have never seen a dog grieve as much as Oswald did over losing Rippa. He would run the fence line looking for her, and the night she passed, he slept with me snuggled up close, both giving and receiving comfort.

After I lost Rourke in June of this year, I vowed not to bring another dog home for a while. It was time for Oswald to be the king of the castle. He was close with Rourke, and he seemed to grow smaller after Rourke left us in June.2011033-1.jpg

We celebrated his 6 year Gotcha Day on Labor Day, and I thought we would have many more. 2011019.jpg

The next weekend Oswald lost his appetite and seemed to be off. I cooked some chicken and rice and he seemed to bounce back.

On the morning of September 20, I got up feeling sick, and decided to stay home from work. I lay back down for a while, and when I got back up, Oswald was vomiting bile, and seemed really lethargic. I called the vets office and Dr. Quatman had an opening.

When we got there, I told her I thought he might be starting another bout with pancreatitis. She said he was dehydrated and his gums were too pale. She kept him for some tests and an IV, and promised to call me as soon as she knew got results. Oswald was also extremely fearful at the vets, and she rigged up an x-pen in the treatment area instead of placing him in a crate.

An hour later, she called with the news that would shatter my heart. Oswald had a large mass on his spleen and he was bleeding internally. His PCV was higher in his abdominal fluid than in his blood, and his platelets were almost non-existent. My boy would be leaving me. I asked if she could get him stable enough to come home, so he could leave from the place he loved. She told me to come at 5:30. When I got there, she had used herbals, ACP, IV fluids, and pain meds so I could bring him home. I had already called Dr. Sims, my acupuncture vet who came to the house, and who had already helped both Ozzie and Rourke to the Bridge. We left the catheter in his leg, and I came home with Yunnan to control the bleeding and three heparin flushes to keep the line open until the next day.

Our last day together turned out to be a beautiful day, sunny and mild. My mom brought Oswald a cheeseburger and fries from McDonalds (his favorite), and he got every treat he loved.When Anna got here, I asked Oswald where he wanted to be. He chose my bed, with his head on my pillow. He balked when Anna tried to use the last flush, so I did it. Then he seemed to settle, and he drifted away with me holding on and telling him how very much I love him.

I couldn’t have picked a better dog than Oswald, and I will be forever grateful to Rippa for choosing him. He was the quiet, back of the pack dog that so often gets overlooked.

If anyone reading this ever comes across a dog like that, snatch him up quick. Your only regret will be losing him or her someday.

I no longer have a dog that goes out at last turnout and barks to the world “leave this house alone, cause I am here to defend it”. I miss you Oswald, and I know you are still watching over me. You have been my rock and my defender. There will never be another like you. I love you

dogs0022.jpg

Edited by 4rooers

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry for the loss of your special, handsome Oswald.

Godspeed, sweetest boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

You wrote a beautiful love letter for/to him. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

That was beautiful. Thank you for your advice. I just brought home an older back-of-the-pack hound, who could be easy to overlook. I will double my efforts to keep him engaged. Oswald is already making his mark from over the bridge. Hugs to you.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Oh my, what an absolutely beautiful tribute! I'm so sorry your handsome boy has left. But he sure left you with a heartful of beautiful memories and pure love.

Rest well, Oswald, you did good.

That song is so perfect! While it made me cry like a baby, it is so true. Just lovely.

gallery_21421_3253_11008.jpg

Barb, Mom to Grey's Tickertape & Grey's McCarthy.
Always missing: Wizzie and Desi

What a wonderful boy. He was so lucky to have you and you to have him. I wish my allergies wouldn't act up so much when I read these tributes...

:f_white :f_white :f_white

Qui me amat, amet et canes meas...et felem.

Olivia (RDs Merrygoround, b. 4/6/07, Gotcha 12/19/11

Chloe (PAR Candice, b. 5/22/08, Gotcha 12/18/12)

It's the back-of-the-pack kids or those "without much personality" who are often overlooked, yet those seem to be the ones who make the larger holes in our hearts when they have to go. Mine is breaking now for your loss but overjoyed at the wonderful lives you two shared together. :grouphug

Godspeed Oswald, oh how your momma loves you. f_yellow

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Someone pass me the tissues. I am bawling here. What an amazing tribute for an amazing boy. He sounds like the perfect companion.

Rest in peace beautiful soul.

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)
Jimmy (Blu Too James 06/26/2014, Gotcha day 09/12/2015)
, a shepard mix named Tista, some cats, and some reptiles.

Guest PiagetsMom

You gave Oswald a beautiful tribute - your love for him is clearly felt. I'm so very sorry that you had to say goodbye to your special boy :grouphug

This is a very beautiful and moving tribute. Oswald can be very proud. He could not have been loved more or better. :grouphug

Godspeed, handsome. :f_red

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest undergreysspell

I'm so very sorry for your loss. Oswald was a very special boy and your tribute to him was beautiful. Prayers for you and Godspeed Oswald.