kamsmom

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are a good friend Beth!

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Guest happygrey

I'm freaking out & it's not my dog & he's not in my house. Glad you can get another opinion without stressing Mickey out further. Best wishes for him.

:lol this sums up my reaction to seeing these pics

Kam you are a great friend to be doing all this! To humans and dogs! :)

Poor baby -- that looks downright traumatic.

Didn't Queen write a song about this? :lol

Is it weird that the Queen song that popped into my head when I read this was Bicycle? I'm betting that's not the one you are referencing...spill!

Guest PhillyPups

Well Beth, you and that poor boy will have some strong bonding moments. Icing the poor thing. Now if you say you have to massage it to get the swelling down, we will know you have bonded well enough :shakefinger

I have never seen anything like that, and actually the pictures stunned me a bit. :P

Hope he is feeling better soon.

Y'all are sweet but I bet any one of you would've done the same for a friend. She came over after school and when she walked in Mickey lit up. He missed his mom and she missed him. So I gave her some suggestions, she is going to pick up a plastic shower curtain and tape it to the floor then put his blanket on that. I let her take my xpen since he did well in it here. Hopefully that keeps him calm and the mess to a minimum. I will go over to her place about mid morning and check on him. If he is ok I'll just leave and then check again mid afternoon. If not I'll just bring him home and she'll get him after work.

Hopefully by being with his mom he will eat more for her tonight she was picking up some hamburger and noodles on the way home They have an appt at 4pm with the vet. I already told her I would go with her.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

*sigh* poor Mickey. He did pretty good today at his apartment. I checked on him at noon and his mom did everything I told her. She had a shower curtain down, a blanket and a frozen kong... But forgot to latch the xpen :(. He did some damage to the frame by the front door but the good news is that the molding is the cheapest you could ever get and will be easily fixed.

He ate for me and I took him outside and then I put him back in.

4pm was his vet appt. He is draining too much and is now infected :(. He went back under and they are keeping him through the weekend. The

vet felt so bad and is not charging anything. I

find that to be admirable as it's not his fault and

sometimes stuff just happens.

So he is just waking up and my friend is in tears.

Hope the vet help more this time around. Otherwise I was going to suggest a jock strap. :blush

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I'd take him to another vet immediately - an ER vet would be best.

Think of it - if you had something like that protruding from anywhere on your body, you would already be at your doctor - animals are no different.

IMHO, I'd probably take him to another vet rather than have the same vet do another surgery and keep him over the weekend. I'm also wondering why they need to keep him over the weekend - unless they are an ER vet, no one is likely to be there after hours and that means that no one would be monitoring the dog - he would be better at home or at an ER vet. I would be VERY concerned about bleeding with this dog.

MaryJane, I appreciate the concern. The vet he has is excellent. He is at a hospital that has 24 hour care. I realize that most of the time you are doling out "worst case scenario" advice but please understand that I and the owner have done everything needed for Mickey.

I know it's easy to sit back on a computer and tell everyone to quickly run to the ER vet, however in real life sometimes other things factor in. If this were a life or death situation we would have taken him in immediately. The treatment protocol may not be what you think is best but it is the plan that his owner and her vet have chosen. And I respect their choices.

I came here and posted about the situation not so that people could judge his care but rather to see if anyone had any experience with it.

I can promise this, he is loved and he is getting the care he needs. His owner is doing everything she needs to do.

Guest Mom2Shiloh

Ouch.... really strange that came up now because my physical therapist has a 9 month old puppy, Marti, who is a French Mastiff/White Boxer/Old English Sheepdog/Golden Retriever mix -- he just got neutered a week ago today and Wed. she had to bring him in to work because -- he looked almost that bad-- he had a bad infection. They had him being VERY quiet, strong antibiotics and ice packs.. yup -- down on the floor lying with your dog and soft ice packs. Plus a lot of pain meds. I have never had a male have that kind of swelling post neuter and neither has she... but it was scary and painful .

Several years ago I had a stray setter mix that sired my neighbors pups have a similar thing. Not as big, but then not as big a dog. The all breed rescue's vet that neutered him did it under Dormitor. He swelled up like that and the ice packs worked.

Beth you are very lucky that he is at a vet with 24 hour care that is not an E-Vet. That is a true blessing.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Is it weird that the Queen song that popped into my head when I read this was Bicycle? I'm betting that's not the one you are referencing...spill!

I think it was Queen - Big Balls :D

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

I'd take him to another vet immediately - an ER vet would be best.

Think of it - if you had something like that protruding from anywhere on your body, you would already be at your doctor - animals are no different.

IMHO, I'd probably take him to another vet rather than have the same vet do another surgery and keep him over the weekend. I'm also wondering why they need to keep him over the weekend - unless they are an ER vet, no one is likely to be there after hours and that means that no one would be monitoring the dog - he would be better at home or at an ER vet. I would be VERY concerned about bleeding with this dog.

Really? Enough is enough. Give it a rest Mary Jane. It is more than obvious that between Beth, the VET, and the owner that the dog is being cared for. And let's not forget that Beth is a nurse.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest happygrey

I think it was Queen - Big Balls :D

:lol That's perfect. Think it's AC/DC though. ;) I had a friend in college who loved to sing it for shock value...

I'm headed to the vet this morning with some tater tots from sonic to visit. :)

Guest SparrowLake

Oh my gosh poor dog. I look forward to an update once things have healed.

What an unfortunate complication from a routine procedure. Thanks for posting...it is good to be aware of these things.

Saw Mickey. He is a little shaky and scared but gave kisses and a few tail wags. He hasn't eaten much and he is getting iv antibiotics.

They removed the entire sack and he has stitches from front to back :(. I didn't even think to count them.

Vet said that he does not have a bleeding issue. It was more of a drainage that got infected on the inside and spread rapidly. He is keeping him longer so that they can be sure that the infection is clear.

This will give my friend some time to fix the doors and frames that were damaged.

I'll see him again this evening with my friend when she gets off work. This was a heck of an introduction to dog ownership.

Thanks everyone for the good thoughts and advice. I appreciate it all.

poor guy! sending many prayers! :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I had a feeling it would need to be removed. That looked worse than any other similar situation I've ever seen. Poor boy. Here's hoping it's smooth sailing for him from here on out. :goodluck

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.