Has This Ever Happened After A Neuter?

kamsmom

A friend of mine just got a Great Dane a few months ago. He is about 2 years old and on Thursday she had him neutered. She then sends me this picture and asks if it's normal...

1EA14648-8F1D-43CB-85E9-42AA0FDBBF01-737-0000008531C3F636.jpg

After gasping and frantically calling her to say "NO" it isn't normal she tells me that the vet said she should expect swelling... (I told her I didn't think that was just swelling and she needed to take him in immediately).

About an hour later she sends this picture... :eek

A66F39A6-71C0-4007-996A-3E4423F1A852-737-000000853624BDB6.jpg

I finally convince her that it isn't normal. ( Her boyfriend had convinced her that it was just his "balls" and that they were traumatized) :rofl After laughing at her dumbass boyfriend I tell her he needs to get him to the vet asap. Surprise surprise he has a blood clot.

Anyway, he stayed at the clinic for the last 4 days and today I have him so she can work. He is still very, very swollen. I guess I thought maybe they would "drain" it or something.

Have any of you had experience with this? I'm trying to convince her to see another vet just for another opinion. She is hesitant as she has already spent close to $3000 on what was supposed to be a routine neutering.

Here is the sweet boy, his name is Mickey :)

9A03BA91-DB2E-443A-9B0D-9981B246005A-737-0000008527C43C4C.jpg

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard of it happening but never seen pictures of it. All my boys did fantastic after their neuters. Looks like this guy had a little bleeding problem. I'm wondering if Amicar would help in this situation.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Never ever seen anything like that. Bruising yes, swelling yes, but nothing extreme like that. That will be a big haematoma or even lymph fluid blockage and the whole lot may have got infected. What is wrong with people that they think something like that is 'normal' !? :grad

Vet responsible maybe needs to be reported.

That much change in one hour? Holy moly that's awful, and definitely NOT normal. At all. Poor boy! :( What exactly did the vet do when she brought him back in?

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Honestly I don't know what he did. He kept him for 4 days though. The poor boy is so skinny and on top of it has major seperation anxiety. He tore up her apartment yesterday (doors and door frames) while she was at work which is why he is with me today.

I think I'll ask her if I can talk to her vet.

Never ever seen anything like that. Bruising yes, swelling yes, but nothing extreme like that. That will be a big haematoma or even lymph fluid blockage and the whole lot may have got infected. What is wrong with people that they think something like that is 'normal' !? :grad

Vet responsible maybe needs to be reported.

Ditto. My heart goes out to poor Mickey. Poor guy. Makes you wonder just how bad he would have to hurt to get some attention. Poor baby.

It is still swollen but not so "shiney" if that makes sense. I'll get a photo. And yes, it's been 4 days since the last photo. He was in the vet clinic for the last 4 days. She picked him up Monday evening. Last night called me because he tore up the place and she didn't know what to do so I told her to just bring him to me. He is now finally sleeping after whining and panting for the last 3 hours. (I gave him melatonin)

I'd take him to another vet immediately - an ER vet would be best.

Think of it - if you had something like that protruding from anywhere on your body, you would already be at your doctor - animals are no different.

Yes, obviously I know this isn't normal. I'm not freaking out because it's been a few days now and it's not my dog. I came on asking if anyone had ever seen or dealt with this. If I thought it was a "drop everything and run to the vet" I would.

Anyway, he is very shy around me and the best I could get was him sitting down... I think he is wondering why the stranger is all up in his private space :P

D476AFBD-6A90-430B-8940-68B9ACE54153-737-000000A6EAAA079F.jpg

I have a call into his owner and have asked her if it's ok if I talk to her vet. This is her first dog that she has ever owned on her own. (besides family pets as a child) I also sent the photo and an email into my vet and just asked him a few questions. He is a friend as well so I think he will answer me a bit later.

It's a scrotal hematoma-not unusual in a large/giant breed dog. Sometimes it happens if the dog is being too active after surgery, sometimes they just have small bleeders in the subcutaneous/skin layers. Many times this will improve with time, rest, and ice packs, though occasionally it will require further surgery (scrotal ablation) to repair it. I would call the vet he stayed with for a few days to get further instructions and see if he wants to recheck everything to see what the next step needs to be. Good luck!

Just spoke with her vet. He said that yes it was a blood clot and that he developed a seroma. (fluid drainage into a pocket) He suggested that we put some ice packs on him intermittently. Oh joy, just what I want to do for the afternoon :lol The things we do for dogs.

My friend is having a follow up appointment with the vet tomorrow and she asked me to go with her as well. I am going to also suggest some antibiotics and an antianxiety med for his SA. The boy is so stressed he isn't eating.

I'm freaking out & it's not my dog & he's not in my house. Glad you can get another opinion without stressing Mickey out further. Best wishes for him.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

How do the gums look?

MaryJane, he is going to be fine. His gums are fine. It is not doom and gloom.

Typical Dane not to eat. Try anything -- cooked meat, etc. Danes will close to starve themselves to death.

Well, ice packs on his non existant noogies are better than washing out his hoo hoo :lol

Yep, I cooked meat, added pasta and smooshed in some stinky wet food. Nada. I figure I'll give him just a little while and then try again.

:rotfl "Noogies"

Yep, we are having a bonding moment today. :P

I have been assured now by two vets that it will eventually go away but will take a lot of time.

Believe me I freaked out the first time I saw it and then when she brought him to me I was just shocked. Mickey is hanging (heh) in there right now. He is not in any pain and he really doesn't seem bothered by it at all. He is mostly just missing his mom and is a bit stressed by the activity in my house. I have him xpenned in the living area with the other dogs and that seems to actually calm him more.

We had a greyhound mix we got from a shelter in the middle of nowhere that had the same sort of thing from his neuter at the shelter. We were all freaking out when we saw it. It took time, but it eventually went away. I can't imagine it felt very good until it did though.

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05

She does work full time. She is a kindergarten teacher. She has had Mickey for almost 5 months and this is the first time anything has happened. I just think the stress of it all and then her leaving Monday and also putting him in the bedroom/bathroom of her apartment really freaked him out. She has never put him in a room and shut the door before but was trying to minimize the drippy blood from being all over her apartment. She now knows why that didn't work. But because I am at home I didn't mind him spending a few days with me. :)