Joint Supplements They Will Actually Eat

I've been using the GNC PetSmart hip and joint health for Enza for the past year. For the past two weeks, she has refused to eat the pills (peanut butter flavor) and as I am winding down the bottle, I figured I'd try something new.

But of course there are far too many options and the prices all make me gulp. Fish oil is out of the question as within a day or two, her stool becomes very soft and filled with mucus. Not fun. I was reading that some dogs aren't eating Fresh Factor and I really don't want to argue with her every day over it.

Options?

Guest JarBear

I get the Costco brand tablets and crush them. Just toss the powder in their food and they eat it with no problem. The price is much better than the made for dogs supplements and our Vet says it will work just fine.

I won't be much help - vet said glucosamine isn't that effective, but highly recommended a green mussel powder called Sasha's Blend - swears that the human version worked wonders for her. Except it smells like green mussels - lots of them - and Gary hates it! I've taken to mixing it into liver or cat food. It does seem to help him.

Spring-siggy-with-Hana.jpg
Angel Gary (Hallo Smoke'em 2000-2013), Angel Molly (Kiowa Mysticrule 1999-2011) Linda, Hana, Sultan

I've used Green Lipped Mussel for Ryder. He's been on it officially for a year and in my opinion it's worked (with the added help of chiropractic treatments).

I get mine from www.rawpaw.ca or http://nothingadded.ca/

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

I just sprinkle Greyhound Gang's Get Up and Go on Magic's breakfast. The first couple of days, he looked at it suspiciously (I guess white powder on dark kibble caught his eye) but ate it down.

Also with pills, have you tried Greenie's pill pockets?

Carol, missing Magic (1/5/01 - 4/15/15) but welcoming Fuzzy's Joy Behar (Joy) into my life on 5/31/15.

Actiflex. It's a liquid supplement that smells a bit like coconut. None of our fosters have ever turned up their noses to it. Dosage is about 1tsp twice a day but I know some folks dose higher (1 tbsp x2 daily).

A lot of us use actiflex, it's liquid form and the horse version is a great price. Jen did an analysis ( :D ) and liked the K-9 version of actiflex the best for ingredients. I did a pocket analysis and decided the horse one was good enough. Point is it's liquid so should not get in the way like a pill...I'm happy to give you a sample to try it out.

We also go to Dasaquin in the winter and it smells good to me so maybe that has a better flavor to Enza? :dunno

Both of my picky eaters grew to dislike the Spingtime supplements.

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

Mine all line up for Springtime's Joint Health Tabs!

To be fair, Fritz is my only picky pup, the others will eat anything :lol Fritz will eat them though-I just have to give them one at a time instead of two at once :lol He's an odd duck...

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I also meant to add a conversation I had with our vet this week about glucosamine and cosequin supplements--he told me that many supplements, because they are "nutrapharmaceuticals" are unregulated. Therefore, there are many that have so many fillers, they are worthless. He told me, when shopping, to make sure to look for a little emblem that says "NSAD" (I think those are the initials)--he showed me, it was blue and white. He said you can be assured if you find that emblem, they are solid. He also stated that didn't mean every one without the emblem was bad--just that those with are definitely what they say they are. The cosequin ds, as a matter of fact, doesn't have the stamp, but what one of his recommendations for Sam.

For what's it worth.

Very true about the neutraceuticals. :nod You have to be careful.

I give Mirage the Cosequin DS as well, but we do the capsules......I just open it up and sprinkle it on his food, twice a day, with no problems.

This is what we used to do and Sid was on it for a couple of years before we got Jeffie. He wouldn't eat the tabs. Then Jeffie, being the picky, fussy eater that he is, wouldn't eat his food with Cosequin on it.

I did a bit of research and switched to Yumove, which is a combination of glucosamine, manganese, hyaluronic acid, vits C & E, and green-lipped mussel extract (which contains a lot of chondroitin, among other things). I'm not actually sure if Sid is just getting stiffer with age, or if this one doesn't suit him so well. Might try a month or two back on Cosequin DS for Sid, and keep Jeffie on the Yumove.

Trouble is, if Jeffie's food tastes better than his, Sid will be even more inclined to gobble his as fast as possible, then muscle in on Jeff's!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

I have never seen a dog that didn't LOVE Fresh Factors. The Springtime prod that some dogs dion't like is the ADVANCED Joint Health with bosweila. However they make regular versions without the bosweila that most dogs accept. Fresh Factors are the best money you can spend on any supplement IMO. I have seen them work miracles. They improve the condition and are worth giving to completely healthy dogs even. I do use the Advanced Joint Healths too because it works! The tablets are scored and I break them into tiny pieces and my dogs will eat it then. Fresh Factors don't need to be broken down. The dogs all consider them a treat and gladly gobble them down whole. Dualactin is another anti-inflammatory that works well and yucca is anotehr one too. And DGP pills are really good. You just have to find out what is best for each dog. Momma is 12 and she gets all of them including Longevity.

Guest BrianRke

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=25073

I use these and my dogs absolutely LOVE them. I have to admit, they do smell really good!

Its funny because my dogs quit eating the GNC Peanut Butter Hip and Joint too. They must have changed something. Thats the reason I switched to these.

I get the 4 lbs of chewable

A lot of us use actiflex, it's liquid form and the horse version is a great price. Jen did an analysis ( :D ) and liked the K-9 version of actiflex the best for ingredients. I did a pocket analysis and decided the horse one was good enough. Point is it's liquid so should not get in the way like a pill...I'm happy to give you a sample to try it out.

We also go to Dasaquin in the winter and it smells good to me so maybe that has a better flavor to Enza? :dunno

Both of my picky eaters grew to dislike the Spingtime supplements.

Where do you get the actiflex?

http://www.bigdweb.com/

Big Dee's Tack Shop. I buy the full gallon plus the free quart, but ya know, I've got that whole herd now. :lol Let me know if you want to grab a squirt or two to try before you purchase some.

Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

I use Springtime as well....I just break them into small pieces and mix in with their food....won't eat them straight but don't mind them in food....

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

I use Springtime as well....I just break them into small pieces and mix in with their food....won't eat them straight but don't mind them in food....

I have watched Zoe and Salem pick up those little pieces within their food bowl and drop them on the floor. I imagine the diva did something pretty similar. :lol

I have watched Zoe and Salem pick up those little pieces within their food bowl and drop them on the floor. I imagine the diva did something pretty similar. :lol

Yep. The diva would take a bite, sense the evil pill, spit the mouthful out on the floor, eat the kibble, glare at me about the pill and walk away.

Note that she is actually a very good pill taker so that is why it stands out....