To Front Line or NOT to Front Line....  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Do you:

• Use Front Line
    • Use something else
    • Use nothing
    • Use Front Line, etc. and feel like it's a waste of money
    • Use Front Line, etc. seasonally

I've been using Front Line since I got Chance. Over the past three years there's only been a few incidents of fleas or ticks. I usually don't use it in the winter, and only used it a few times since Spring. I'm wondering if it is really necessary. I check him daily bc I'm obsessed with his well-being :beatheart

During a recent trip to Costco I saw their brand for only $20 for six months, versus the $70 I pay for Front Line. I've always been encouraged by my vet and NGAP to purchase from them b/c providers like Costco, 1800 Pet Meds, etc. there is no guarantee you are even getting what you think. Is that :bs ???

So, not only am I not buying from my vet, but now it's generic! Am I nuts? :dunno Your opinions will help me greatly. Although I'd love to save a few $$$, I'd do anything for my :ghplaybow .

Thanks!

The Kirkland Select brand is not the same formulation as Frontline or Frontline Plus. Both Frontline products are safe for use on cats. KS is not. Since I buy the largest Frontline Plus size (1 large dog dog dose = 8 cat doses) and use it on all my pets, it has to be cat safe.

I do purchase from my vet. This year, they were offering two free doses per six purchased. Couldn't find that deal anywhere else.

Edited to add: Wal-Mart carries a fipronil product equal to Frontline, called Pet Armor. However, it lacks the (S)-methoprene added to Frontline Plus for tick control.

Edited by EddiesMom15

You! Out of the gene pool!

The only time I've ever seen a flea on our dogs was within the first two weeks we used the Costco brand flea medicine instead of Frontline. I returned the unused portion of the Costco brand meds and immediately went back to using Frontline.

The girl at the customer service counter said that I wasn't the first person to return the Costco product. Not by a long shot.

Edited by 45MPHK9

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

The Kirkland Select brand is not the same formulation as Frontline or Frontline Plus. Both Frontline products are safe for use on cats. KS is not. Since I buy the largest Frontline Plus size (1 large dog dog dose = 8 cat doses) and use it on all my pets, it has to be cat safe.

I do purchase from my vet. This year, they were offering two free doses per six purchased. Couldn't find that deal anywhere else.

Edited to add: Wal-Mart carries a fipronil product equal to Frontline, called Pet Armor. However, it lacks the (S)-methoprene added to Frontline Plus for tick control.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

As EddiesMom15 mentioned, the Costco/Kirkland product is not a generic Frontline. It's a completely different active ingredient. The main flea/tick ingredient is etofenprox, which is a pyrethroid, so it's more along the lines of the Biospot or Hartz products than Frontline. You might be interested in this previous thread about the Costco flea and tick product.

There are some generic Frontline products out now, since the active ingredient fipronil went off patent. However, there is not a generic equivalent of Frontline Plus, which includes an insect growth regulator (S-methoprene) to also kill immature flea stages. (Both Frontline and Frontline Plus kill ticks since it's the fipronil that kills both adult fleas and ticks.) I've had some clients who have used the generic Frontline (like PetArmor) and seem happy with it. I've also had clients who switched to the generic and found that it didn't work.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest team_tonio

Ive recently switched from frontline to advantix. I'm a newbie greyhound owner... Ive had my boy for about 6 weeks and have found a few fleas! I spoke with my vet and they suggested we switch. Ive only seen one flea since (its been about two weeks) but am paranoid nothing is going to work!! Any thoughts or advice?

I also buy from the vet as they offer buy 6 get 2 free... great deal now just praying it works!

I use Advantix II and don't see fleas, though Annie Bella occasionally whips around to get at a section of her body as if being bit. I think seeing a flea is no big deal. They can't be killed by any treatment if they aren't on the dog's body.

I've used Frontline Plus, splitting one tube between two dogs, for 10 years now. Between November and March, I apply it every six weeks rather than every month. The rest of the year, I apply it every month.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

You can buy frontline plus from Costco on line at a reduced price with free shipping. Just saying. I have been doing it all year.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

It doesn't work. Only Comfortis works where I live. None of the topicals do any good at all. Comfortis used just once a year or so works for me. I haven't seen a flea in years, even in the deep South and with my neighbors' dogs covered in them.

We use Frontline Plus. We buy ours from our greyhound adoption group. There really is no reason you need to buy it from your vet. We usually skip the winter months, but do apply it during the spring/summer/fall.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

I use Frontline Plus. I get it on Amazon.com

My dog came home from Nantucket twice this year with fleas though! Those Nantucket fleas must be tough little buggers. He's never had a flea at home.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

With regard to PetMeds and online pharmacies, when I worked for a vet we heard a lot of complaints that customers were receiving stuff like a year's supply of Heartgard that was only 2 months away from expiring, and were also told that their warehouses were often not climate controlled (many medications are temperature-sensitive).

I don't know if that's still true but since it's only a few bucks more at the vet's office I prefer to buy it there and eliminate the doubt.

This year we haven't needed to use anything at all. Fleas don't do well in western South Dakota and the ticks haven't been bad. Usually I do Frontline Plus during the summer months. When we move to Indiana we may need to rethink that.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

I use Advantage, but we don't seem to have the flea or tick problem a lot of you do "down south." I don't use it at all during the winter months and maybe put it on once or twice over the summer. It's always worked right away with the few fleas I have ever seen. In the past I have tried some of the store brands...they never worked at all, and are more dangerous so I stay clear.

Guest BrianRke

Frontline does not work in my area. I think the fleas are resistant. I use Advantage and it seems to work really well. Dont really have a problem with ticks so that works out ok. When I went to Grapehounds, I sprayed them with Adams for tick prevention.

We've been using Frontline for the last 2 years, seasonally from April to September - have never seen a flea on either of them. I plan to get the Costco brand next time and see how well it works - much cheaper and looks to have the same ingredients as the Frontline.

Theresa (Tess)

Mom to Elliott (Sol Flasher) and Lea (PTL Lea)

Our Grey girls HATE having any such topical applied, although Frontline Plus seemed to be more irritating. I switched to K9 Advantix II which they didn't mind as much, but if I didn't apply it every 30 days (not even a day or two later!), the ticks would latch on again quickly.I switched back to FL Plus again & bought it online (have had no problems with its efficacy).I've also tried "Pet Gard" (their version of FL +)at Sam's Club which seemed to work fine too. The ticks are thick here this year!

I thought about Costco's brand, but didn't want to change chemicals with a senior who had always done well on Frontline Plus. I wouldn't worry about quality at Costco, I started buying my Frontline Plus there as it was cheaper and more convenient than the buying at the vet's office.

Edited by PatricksMom

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I use Frontline Plus. I get it on Amazon.com

My dog came home from Nantucket twice this year with fleas though! Those Nantucket fleas must be tough little buggers. He's never had a flea at home.

Great Susan- Not what I wanted to hear as we are headed up there next week. Good thing I got some Capstar as well as I just Frontline Plus Maddie yesterday. Our neightbor across the street (Joe Lopes who just passed away- your Mom may know of him) his dog Mojo always had fleas on him. I am going to miss them both this year.

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

If I need anything I use Comfortis. It's the only thing that controlled and killed the fleas on the farm dogs. Wasted lots of money on the Frontline Plus from the vets over the years. My little dachsie also managed to contract Lyme despite the faithful use of vet-purchased frontline. Currently know of multiple cases of lyme in dogs, new case last week, despite use of Frontline Plus.

I live in the woods, check us regularly, have all kinds of creatures running around. No fleas, occ. ticks.

I researched frontline and the company claims that the quality is not affected by temperature. My vet always used that excuse for buying it from them.

Edited by dex95lucy

Guest kkaiser104

I've used Frontline on Teddi since he's come home, but plan on taking a box of the Kirkland flea and tick with me to his vet visit at OSU next week to get their opinions on it. I'll post back what Dr. Kellogg says!

I've used Frontline Plus for years on multiple greys/dogs. I've never, ever, seen a flea on my pups, but we are in MA tick central. Those little blighters leap off the undergrowth!

We examine (dogs and selves) and de-tick several times every day on all entrances to the house after walks (,I know they technically bite and die before embedding, but still). Anyone have a better grey-safe recommendation for repelling fleas, ticks, and also skeeters?

Just throwing the question out there. :-)

Gillian
Caesar (Black Caesarfire) and Olly (Oregon) the Galgo

Still missing: Nell (spaniel mix) 1982-1997, Boudicca (JRT) 1986- 2004, and the greys P's Catwalk 2001-2008, Murphy Peabody (we failed fostering) 1998-2010 and Pilgrim (Blazing Leia) 2003-2016,