Rough 3 Wks For Rousty

Guest westexhound

Guest westexhound

I’ll try to keep this from being too long.Took Rousty to the vet 3 wks ago because his normally good eating habits had gone south. He had a temp of 104.6 and cbc looked to be ok. No vomiting or diarrhea. He was started on clavamox and an aspirin to bring down his temp. We were back several more times that week because his temp was not staying down and he wasn’t eating. X-rays were taken and his spleen looked big. Ultrasound showed enlarged spleen with a 4 cm mass. As the vet said, nothing good usually comes out of this. :(

So he had surgery the next day to remove the spleen, but we had them xray his lungs to make sure there were no mets. It was clear so he had the splenectomy. The vet pulled out a large 1.8 lb spleen and sent the mass off for pathology.

His appetite was supposed to come back, but it did not. Let’s just say it been an up and down rollercoaster of force feedings then him eating on his own. We just figured the cancer was somewhere else.

Then the path report came back. IT WAS NOT CANCER!!!! :yay

Here’s the histopath dx: Multifocal necrosuppurative splenitis. Likely the result of bacterial infection, caused extensive areas of necrosis in the spleen. NO EVIDENCE OF NEOPLASIA

Needless to say –big relief! He started eating again the past 3 days. But today nothing for breakfast or lunch. And he went to get his stitches out and even though the incision has looked great this whole time – as they started taking the stitches out the incision just opened (outer layer only).

Lots of up & downs with him and we’re just hoping to get his eating consistent so he can put back on that 10 lbs he’s lost. So any good thoughts to spare – send them his way. It would be much appreciated.

Glad there is no cancer. I was having trouble getting Bebe to eat and she was losing a lot of weight and Rachel suggested getting some DYNE. The stuff works like a charm. I just mix it with her food. It's high in calories to help put the weight back on and she loves the taste. You might want to try it. She says they sell it at the feed store in West Memphis so they may carry it at other feed stores. I ordered mine on line.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Very happy it was not cancer. Good healing thoughts for Rousty!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Yikes.

I hope he starts to feel better soon. And eat.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

sending many prayers for your boy! :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest westexhound

Glad there is no cancer. I was having trouble getting Bebe to eat and she was losing a lot of weight and Rachel suggested getting some DYNE. The stuff works like a charm. I just mix it with her food. It's high in calories to help put the weight back on and she loves the taste. You might want to try it. She says they sell it at the feed store in West Memphis so they may carry it at other feed stores. I ordered mine on line.

Thanks Judy, will look for DYNE at local feed stores first. If it works like a charm, I want it!! :)

Is he still on aspirin (which I found odd they would give him in the first place)-----really hard on the tummy.

No, just a one time thing. Then when the temp wouldn't stay down they had us give him 50mg Rimadyl 2x/day. Since the splenectomy his temp has been good.

Best wishes for a full recovery!!!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

More prayers from Macho and I too!

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)
Jimmy (Blu Too James 06/26/2014, Gotcha day 09/12/2015)
, a shepard mix named Tista, some cats, and some reptiles.

So glad to hear it wasn't malignant. Hope you can get him eating soon so he can heal. :goodluck:hope

Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Hope he continues to do well.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest westexhound

Rousty did not have a good day yesterday. Just before taking him to the vet to have his stitches out (which they couldn't do because it was not healing closed) we noticed a lump on his jaw. Now he does have a history of neurofibrosarcoma on his hind end but after 3 surgeries they got clean margins - and that was over a year ago. So lumps definitely get our attention! But the vet said it was his salivary duct and to massage it and that he had no idea why that was happening. Rousty was very lethargic and wouldn't eat all day.Definitely backsliding in his recovery. He finally ate about 4 oz of steak leftover from our dinner last night.

This morning: no eating, he obviously doesn't feel good and more lumps - on other side of jaw and the underneath side. We had to shove his antibiotics down his throat and opening his mouth made him cry out. :(

Finally this afternoon he ate another 4 oz of steak, a scoop of cottage cheese, chicken broth, and a piece of bread. And he looked alert and perky while eating.

One of the vets is going to change his antibiotics and give it to us in liquid form and keep up the prednisone for a while longer in hopes of getting appetite up. And that the other lumps sound like salivary ducts also.

Poor Rousty. There is still something not right and the vets are really trying to figure the puzzle out.

Oh I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope he starts feeling better soon.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

He's on pred? Guess that explains why the suture line is taking longer to heal-pred delays healing (of course I'm not sure what dose he's on)

Is he taking tummy protectants??? Carafate??

And finally not to freak you out but, are the vets absolutely sure that the swellings are salivary glands and not lymph nodes?

We are all sending healing thoughts for Rousty. Hoping that he starts to feel better soon.

Wanda, with the DC Racing Kids,

Eric ( DNT Finbarclancy )  6/29/14    Maggie ( DNT Oh Maggie ) 6/29/14

Lorraine ( DC Don't Rainonme ) 3/15/08 - 4/9/20 ---  Suzie ( DC Lazy Susan ) 3/12/06 - 9/4/18 --- Stormy ( DC Major Storm ) 11/29/99 - 1/21/12 ---- Andy ( Andy's Alibi ) 1/23/99 - 12/30/11

Guest westexhound

He's on pred? Guess that explains why the suture line is taking longer to heal-pred delays healing (of course I'm not sure what dose he's on)

Is he taking tummy protectants??? Carafate??

And finally not to freak you out but, are the vets absolutely sure that the swellings are salivary glands and not lymph nodes?

They started him on pred about 6 days after surgery in hopes of stimulating his appetite since he wasn't eating. It's 20 mg pills - 3 days whole pill, 3 days half pill, then half pill every other day.

I believe they are right about the salivary ducts - when DW massages them he produces some pretty stringy drool. And they are starting to go down. And no - no tummy protectants other than pepto for a day early on in this. We'll ask about that tomorrow.

Late this afternoon he has perked up and came looking for food - yay! Wouldn't eat much dog food but did eat ground beef with broth.

Pred can definetly upset a tummy and can just melt muscle off of our guys. I would ask if you can stop it by now. Honestly, I would have questioned the need for it in the first place (IMHO). It also suppresses the immune system- if he's fighting an infection (necrosis) I sure wouldnt want my dogs immune system suppressed.

I only mention this as food for thought not to question your vet--but, perhaps these are points that you might want to bring up during the recheck appointment. Keep us posted ok?