Disk Repair

Da Vid had one disk repaired 4 days ago. It was a 6 1/2 hour surgery. The vet released him to me today. Home we went and he slept for the 1st hour. Then standing and panting for the next 6 hours. I finally took him back to the vet and they are keeping him. He now has blood in his urine. Why? I could not get him to lay down so both of his back legs are so swollen he looked like he was going to bust open. I also could not get him to eat because of the pain. I am really worried.

Went to the vet's (surgeon) and Da Vid's swelling is going down in his legs and feet. They are keeping him in a crate all of the time. He still has blood in his urine. Doc is going to run a clotting test on him today, but thinks it may also be the meds. He is absolutely not eating. I carried some baby food and raw beef to try to temp him. Doc wants to keep him for 3 weeks until he starts the therapy. Guess I am still clueless. Tomorrow being a holiday I will not go see him.

No Amicar. He is on Dexamethasone, Robaxin and Tramadol Dexamethasone .50mg 1/2 tab every 12 hours then tapering Robaxin 500mg 2 tabs every 8 hrs. Tramadol 50 mg 5 tabs every 12 hours I am so worried about the blood in the urine, but also the absolutely not eating, though he is drinking a lot and peeing more.

Because the doc wants him to be totally on crate rest. Absolutely no walking except to go outside to do his business. I have to get someone to lift him out of the car and I failed badly about getting him to lay down and to eat. But, they just gave him the paid meds and the only thing he has eaten today is a jar of turkey and vegetables baby food. He has really lost weight because he has not eaten in almost a week. I think yesterday was just a catch 22 situation..he could not lay down because his back and legs were hurting and since he would not lay down the legs and feed were terribly swollen and I mean you could not see any joints in the legs. He would not eat because he was hurting so much. I just could not handle it and had to get my neighbor to put him in the car and then I drove 30 miles to the surgeon in Savannah. Of course he was closed, but the emergency vet was open (their share the same building) so I left him. They knew all about him and did not even ask my name. If I have already told all of this in earlier posts, I am sorry. Nan

Nan I are they doing bloodwork on him beyond the clotting test?

Hopefully as things settle down he'll want to eat, especially when you are able to bring food for him - my suggestion is to bring a little of a lot of things - ensure, ice cream, rotisserie or roasted chicken, etc., etc. Maybe some canned tripe.

Sending prayers for both of you.

:hope:grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

The vet did not tell me what kind of blood work they had done (and I did not think to ask), but said it all came back good. He asked me if he had been bitten by a tick. About 2 months ago my regular vet pulled a dead tick from his upper eye lid. I told the surgeon this. Here is what the paperwork said they did: Physical/Ortho/Neuro Exam, Comprehensive Diagnostic Profile, Spinal Series/Myelogram, CT scan, Dorsal Laminectomy L7-S and said his prognosis was "good". I carried a bunch of baby food and some Imas (spelling) canned food. I know it has by-products in it, but right now I am game for anything. I was going to try turkey necks, but sometimes that gives them the gurgling stomach and constipation, so did not take any. Vet tech asked me if I wanted to see him (2nd trip today) and she said he was resting, so I didn't go in there. Tomorrow is a holiday, but will try to carry chicken and Ensure. Not sure if I can get tripe in Savannah as we are a one horse town. Thanks

Oh gosh. Sending lots of prayers for your boy and hugs for yourself.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I hope he starts to improve soon and is feeling better...poor baby :grouphug

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Poor, poor Da Vid. This is so rough on him and on you. At least the prognosis on the paperwork said "good."

If he can handle the salt, deli chicken has been known to entice dogs to eat. And tuna. Smelly things (hence the tripe).

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Just came from vets and Da Vid has eaten about 1 1/2 lbs of hamburger. This is the first thing he has had in a week besides baby food. I was determined he was going to eat today. I was going to force scrambled egg and Ensure down his throat, but had already eaten when I got there. Don't know if he is out of the woods yet, but I am very happy with this. Thanks everyone!

My Bella had some neck issues recently, we had her on metacam and around that time she stopped drinking...we gave some pepcid, and she started drinking again! Maybe it's the same with Da Vid, his tummy feels weird with the pain meds, so he won't eat. I'd suggest pepcid to the vet.

Greyhound Collars : www.collartown.ca

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg