Ate A Rabbit Whole!

No advice...just good wishes....

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

I called the e-vet, they said to watch for vomiting & diarrhea and possibly de-worm her in a week. I am still shaking. I know this is totally natural for them, but ewwww & poor little rabbit! :repuke

I don't think I'll be giving her dinner tonight! :bunny

Edited by JenniferS

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

Guest driser

OMG, I'd still be shaking too!!

Even if he was an accomplished racer he probably thought, "I WON! I WON! I FINALLY CAUGHT THE DANG THING!"

I'd be curious to know if he refuses anything but rabbit based kibble after that feast. :)

Guest Jacks_Human

Yucko! However, it's pretty natural for them to eat rabbits, so besides needing a de-worming, she'll probably be fine.

I've had my dogs catch rabbits countless times, sometimes they eat them, sometimes they don't - sometimes I find a rabbit head in the yard.

I don't believe rabbits get rabies so you probably don't need a rabies booster. I do think they have fleas which might give your dogs tape worms - so check the poop.

What every one else has already said.

I watched a border collie (not mine) snarf up a rabbit he found dead in his own yard (don't know if he killed it or if it was left by someone else - we're in the country), which he obviously thoroughly enjoyed. He later had disastrous Big D and vomiting, but lived to tell the tale.

Probably he'll be fine!

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

You're probably gonna want to restrict how much she kisses you...

(Yeah, my guys never understand cries of, "Don't kiss me with that nasty mouth!")

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

oh ... I'm sad to say I've had to deal with this. She'll be fine.

You may want to give a quick once-over for fleas, and the little creatures can cause worms for your girl (which won't show up right away, so you might as well deworm in 1-2 weeks from now and pick up all poop as quickly as possible in the yard in the meanwhile).

Guest HoundWorks

You're probably gonna want to restrict how much she kisses you...

(Yeah, my guys never understand cries of, "Don't kiss me with that nasty mouth!")

I say a good teeth brushing might be in order as well. :)

I put some Listerine on a cotton ball and wipe around the teeth and tongue--not enough alcohol on the cotton ball to be dangerous to the dog, but enough to make me feel better.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest Fasave

OMG, I'd still be shaking too!!

Even if he was an accomplished racer he probably thought, "I WON! I WON! I FINALLY CAUGHT THE DANG THING!"

I'd be curious to know if he refuses anything but rabbit based kibble after that feast. :)

Hey Jen! Billy caught and ate a rabbit in his early days. Never chased another. I hope Razzy does the same.

Can't be worse than 1/2 pizza INCLUDING the box! 3 days of yellow squirts. At least a bunny would be more "natural". RIP Bun-Bun

:hehe :hehe :hehe :hehe

Buddibear, I told DH about your story. He wants to know if your hound had a couple of beers to go with that pizza.

DarbyampChad_zpsvpn9kam5.jpg

"Some days you're the dog, some days you're the hydrant."
-Cathy, DW to Al, Mom to Darby & Chad. Nana to Gabe, Dominic, & Christopher Welter
Remembering Social (2001-2014) and Gus (2007-2015)

Never had one eat a whole rabbit but I did see one of my farm dogs- a doberman- scarf down a whole big RAT one day out on the farm. It didn't hurt him at all. No side effects and he continued to always be on the alert for more in case he got "lucky" again. I heard of some other folks' greyt eating a whole wabbit also. Again no side effects except for some smelly off-gassing! I'm sure she'll be fine based on what I've seen with my own dogs.

So far so good. No side effects at all and normal poops so far. I haven't seen any evidence of the bunny at all, so either she's digesting it normally, or it has not been digested yet :sick

She & her brother are still extremely keen in the yard and unfortunately very keen on a small puppy today. She's always been small dog safe, I hope the bunny kill doesn't change that.

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com