Osteo Thread V

She's mad that she didn't get breakfast :lol

Dr. Bahns had to tend to an emergency, so, we're just chillin' here in a room.

It's so funny how routine-oriented Pinky is-between her post-surgical checkups, chemo, and these recent visits, she KNOWS that she gets weighed every time she comes, so, these past few times, she's just gone over to the scale and weighed herself, with no prompting from anyone :lol

They always get her something to lay on, and she'll just lay there calmly-she's been here for chemo enough that she knows that when someone lays you down, you stay there :lol

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pinky is one smart pup!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

She's like Rain Man :lol

Labs were okay, albumin still a little on the low side. Weight was exactly the same as two weeks ago, so, while she's not gaining, she's not losing, which is good.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Either the change in routine messed her up today (had to be fasting for her bloodwork), or her tummy is upset...she was a little bit picky about eating today. We managed to get plenty of food into her, but, I hope that this is isolated. She needs to eat to keep her weight up!

The special memorial day at Mount Vernon sounds sweet. George Washington was a dog lover -- Lafayette shipped some hounds to him from France after the war ended, in care of one of John Adams's sons I believe. Imagine that dogsitting job -- for the president of the United States on a six-weeks ocean voyage. I envision George Washington smiling down at any dog enjoying Mount Vernon.

Hail Pinky, Princess Warrior. One of the few females of any species brave enough to voluntarily weigh herself. We lift a cup of eggnog in salute.

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

The special memorial day at Mount Vernon sounds sweet. George Washington was a dog lover -- Lafayette shipped some hounds to him from France after the war ended, in care of one of John Adams's sons I believe. Imagine that dogsitting job -- for the president of the United States on a six-weeks ocean voyage. I envision George Washington smiling down at any dog enjoying Mount Vernon.

Hail Pinky, Princess Warrior. One of the few females of any species brave enough to voluntarily weigh herself. We lift a cup of eggnog in salute.

:nod Well said!

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

She ate plain kibble this morning with no complaints! :yay

Guest jenbush123

Just needing to vent and say how much I HATE osteo! We had Jenny diagnosed with Osteo in September and hind leg amputation done. She is doing great - on 2nd round of chemo and runs around like her crazy self on 3 legs.

Last week Kyle (PS Kyle) started limping. He's had recurring nerve neck issues so thought it was just that. But no, turns out it's osteo in the opposite hind leg as Jenny. Talked to vet and have date for leg amputation, but really questioning what is the right decision for Kyle. Last night he whined literrally all night long, even after an extra dose of Tramadol. He couldn't even make it down the ramp we had installed this morning and forget about going back up it. Not sure what option we will choose for him and how we'll know it's the right one either.

Okay - needed to vent - thanks for this forum that lets us do that.

Just needing to vent and say how much I HATE osteo! We had Jenny diagnosed with Osteo in September and hind leg amputation done. She is doing great - on 2nd round of chemo and runs around like her crazy self on 3 legs.

Last week Kyle (PS Kyle) started limping. He's had recurring nerve neck issues so thought it was just that. But no, turns out it's osteo in the opposite hind leg as Jenny. Talked to vet and have date for leg amputation, but really questioning what is the right decision for Kyle. Last night he whined literrally all night long, even after an extra dose of Tramadol. He couldn't even make it down the ramp we had installed this morning and forget about going back up it. Not sure what option we will choose for him and how we'll know it's the right one either.

Okay - needed to vent - thanks for this forum that lets us do that.

I'm so sorry. I can't imagine having 2 pups with osteo at the same time. :(

What does your vet think about amputation given Kyle's neck issues?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest jenbush123

Vet said okay for leg amputation even with Kyle's neck issues because he does not have any neurologic issues or damage of his neck. She did say that if neurologic damage occured in the future he would likely be weaker on his hind legs then and she would be concerned by his neck issues have not been progressive since we've had him. We were able to up his dose of Tramadol to 100mg 2x day and he seems a bit more comfortable than last night. Surgery is tentatively scheduled for Monday. I don't think pain management is an option for him at this point given the last couple days, he just doesn't tolerate the pain at all and then becomes so scared to walk because he hurts so much that he falls down, trips, etc. So the options are either going to have to be leg amputation or to say goodbye.

We also have a third greyhound at home - he is a bit younger but I can just see that I am going to be paranoid now everytime he trips or limps at all or just doesn't seem to be himself.

:grouphug

Jenbush,

That is heartbreaking. I am so sorry you and your pups are going through this and cannot believe you have two with Osteo. Our hearts go out to you and hope Kyle will be okay with the surgery as I know it's a hard call however it also does remove the pain. Keeping you and your pups in our thoughts.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

wow, having two with this horrible disease :( :( :( my heart goes out to you. Sending many hugs :grouphug

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

We are hanging in there...Pinky has been a little picky about eating meals, particularly her mid-day meal. She's started getting Prilosec once a day because I think her stomach is finally starting to take offense to everything that's been thrown at it. I'm hoping her appetite improves. She will eat more if I hand feed her than she will with me just holding a bowl of food.

Guest jenbush123

For those of you who have made the decision to put your dog down rather than surgery - how did you know that was the right choice? We talked to our primary vet for Kyle today she was only 50/50 on doing the surgery and really I felt like that was just to ease what she was saying to us. Kyle's 11 (although so is Jenny and she just had surgery). Not sure how to make this decision and not question it.

For those of you who have made the decision to put your dog down rather than surgery - how did you know that was the right choice? We talked to our primary vet for Kyle today she was only 50/50 on doing the surgery and really I felt like that was just to ease what she was saying to us. Kyle's 11 (although so is Jenny and she just had surgery). Not sure how to make this decision and not question it.

When our 10 1/2 year-old was diagnosed last year, I immediately knew that he wasn't a candidate for amputation. Mainly because he'd had a wobbly hind end for several years, and I didn't think he could support his weight. My DH was initially all for the surgery, and I had to talk him out of it. Which made me feel absolutely awful, but I knew my dog, and I knew amputation wasn't right for him.

Two days later, he was diagnosed with a second primary tumor in one of his back legs.

We managed his pain for four wonderful months with a good mix of meds (including gabapentin, which made a huge difference), pamidronate and radiation treatments.

FedEx, another GT hound, made it close to two years (I think?) with just palliative care.

Edited by vjgrey

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Guest jenbush123

When our 10 1/2 year-old was diagnosed last year, I immediately knew that he wasn't a candidate for amputation. Mainly because he'd had a wobbly hind end for several years, and I didn't think he could support his weight. My DH was initially all for the surgery, and I had to talk him out of it. Which made me feel absolutely awful, but I knew my dog, and I knew amputation wasn't right for him.

Two days later, he was diagnosed with a second primary tumor in one of his back legs.

We managed his pain for four wonderful months with a good mix of meds (including gabapentin, which made a huge difference), pamidronate and radiation treatments.

FedEx, another GT hound, made it close to two years (I think?) with just palliative care.

Thanks Greyaholic! Our vet is saying pain management is likely not an option since he has been in some serious pain for a couple days and hasn't been able to stand up on his own or walk down stairs/ramp.

Thanks Greyaholic! Our vet is saying pain management is likely not an option since he has been in some serious pain for a couple days and hasn't been able to stand up on his own or walk down stairs/ramp.

What meds have you tried?

Are you seeing a general practice vet or an oncologist? I ask because I know our general practice vet who diagnosed Gabe SERIOUSLY, seriously underestimated the pain meds needed. She sent us home with rimadyl. And that's all. Oy.

We saw the oncologist two days later, and he immediately got him started on tramadol, gabapentin and deramaxx...I feel like I'm forgetting another one. It made a world of difference. And the radiation treatments were also a miracle worker for Gabe. He was in the same position - could not stand on his own or walk at all. He was up and walking almost normally immediately after the treatment.

Edited by vjgrey

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Yes. What Valerie (vjgrey) said: Decent pain meds, and rest assured they won't make him all groggy and out of it. You may soon find that your biggest problem is keeping him from overdoing things when he feels better.

Most vets just don't seem to be super-experienced in heavy-duty pain management for a dog that is terminally ill. Also, drug combos that might be considered risky for long-term use are just fine for the here and now for your boy.

Even if the drugs do nothing but give your boy comfort for a few weeks, that's a few weeks you can have with much less pain for him.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Pinky's being a picky eater :cry1

This morning she refused kibble, cookies, canned food, cottage cheese, ground beef, her mix of macaroni, beef, and egg, hardboiled eggs, and egg nog.

She drools when I bring the peanut butter with her meds on it though :dunno

I'm worried we're headed downhill :cry1