Osteo Thread V

Have you tried canned dog food? The canned Nutro (the one with chunks of meat and rice in gravy, both chicken and lamb, I think the cans are blue and green) were lifesavers for me for a bit when Neyla was having a hard time eating or taking her pills.

Although obviously that may only be a bandaid if there's some reason she's not wanting to eat any longer. :(

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jenbush123

We took Kyle in for surgery today for amputation. Thanks for all the great advice, we were able to signficantly up his meds from Friday and add Gapapentin. This made a signficant difference in his discomfort, but not enough that we felt it was a long term option. So we were faced with putting him down or surgery and opted for surgery first. Hoping he makes it through the surgery succesfully, he will be staying at the vet hospital through next Monday due to the holidays.

Kristin, the Cerenia will help if she's not eating due to nausea. It doesn't actually affect the stomach, but works on the center of the brain that deals with that. It was originally developed for motion sickness.

I know you've tried a bunch of stuff to get her to eat. The things that work best for us are the cheapo canned foods from the store that are super smelly. We've also had really good results with the Beneful Prepared Meals. Good luck.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

She's been offered everything under the sun...kibble, softened kibble, canned food (which she previously LOVED), canned chicken, cooked ground beef, macaroni/egg/beef mixture, peanut butter, kibble with peanut butter, hardboiled eggs, egg nog, lunch meat, shredded cheese...she wants none of it.

What's silly is that she comes in from outside and dances around like she WANTS to eat...but then whenever I try to give her something, she turns her nose up at it. Then she looks at me like she's expecting something, but, she won't take anything I offer.

I called the vet's office - our vet isn't in until 1:30, but, I was hoping that one of the other vets could dispense some Cerenia and my mom could pick it up and get her started on it yet this morning. While I was in the shower, she got up and threw up some bile, along with her meds and there were a few pieces of chicken in there. Then she layed down on a bed in my bedroom so she could see into the bathroom where I was. When I got out of the shower, she looked at me up over her head (she was actually facing the inside of my bedroom but her eyes were looking into the hallway :lol) with her inquisitive eyes and her ears up, like "hi mom :)" ...but she still didn't want to eat anything.

So while on the phone with the vet, the receptionist said Dr. Bahns isn't in til later...I KNOW. But last time we needed meds dispensed, one of the other vets did it for us. This shouldn't be tough. So, she put me through to the VM of the doctor that IS there right now. She STILL hasn't called me back and I'm starting to get angry.

And I can't get ahold of my mom :riphair I just feel helpless right now, I HAVE to be at work and this is killing me.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Vet called - they've got the Cerenia ready. Now if I could just get ahold of mom....I really hope that Pinky hasn't thrown up any more. :goodluck I wish I had a series of live webcams set up so I could keep an eye on them...

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

We took Kyle in for surgery today for amputation. Thanks for all the great advice, we were able to signficantly up his meds from Friday and add Gapapentin. This made a signficant difference in his discomfort, but not enough that we felt it was a long term option. So we were faced with putting him down or surgery and opted for surgery first. Hoping he makes it through the surgery succesfully, he will be staying at the vet hospital through next Monday due to the holidays.

Sorry, I'm in my own personal hell right now and forgot to say that we're all thinking good thoughts for Kyle today. Please update when you can once he's out of surgery. I know the day that Pinky went in, I asked when I should expect a call, and then I spent all morning looking at the clock waiting for the phone to ring. I was SO happy once it did!

sending many prayers for a successful surgery for Kyle! :hope :hope :hope

sorry to hear Pinky isn't eating much :( :( I know how heartbreaking it is. Have you tried mirtazapine to increase her appetite? we had just started Nube on it the day before we let him go so I can't say how well it worked :( sending many hugs to you all :grouphug

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

We had Sutra on mirtazapine - it did help him, but, he was not eating because of pancreatitis.

Mom got the Cerenia and it's now on board. I told her to wait about 45 minutes and then try to feed her. So, mom is just chilling at my house watching tv :)

I'm HOPEFUL that this will help...but part of me just wants to be sure we explore all avenues before calling it quits. While she IS skinny, she's getting around fine and her personality is still there 100% - she doesn't act sick until you try to feed her. If this will help her eat, it's worth it.

:yay Kyle!

One thing to keep in mind with dogs battling nausea is that stinky smelly foods may not have the desired effect - when Princess had nausea from kidney issues, she much preferred the more bland offerings (still enticing but not the nasty stuff :lol). Ensure was good - it was mild enough to not bother her. It makes sense - when I am not feeling well, I'm not sure I would want tuna fish either. :lol

Good news on Kyle!

Some of you know already - we adopted a tripod a month ago. :) He's a right hind amp from a leg break at the track. If anyone has any suggestions on managing a tripod for long term, let me know. Right now, he's FINE, but I imagine we may face some things as he ages. He's on all the usual suspects of supplements but wondering if we should add in the occasional massage, etc. It seemed right to open our homes and hearts to a tripod after losing Berkeley. In a lot of ways, Buster reminds me of Berk - fearless and brainless. :lol

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Kyle made it through surgery and is awake in ICU. Still on pretty heavy pain meds obviously, but at least the surgery is done now!

That is excellent!!! I am so happy that he made it through and now the long wait until he is home Monday. Good healing thoughts for you boy Kyle.

Some of you know already - we adopted a tripod a month ago. :) He's a right hind amp from a leg break at the track. If anyone has any suggestions on managing a tripod for long term, let me know. Right now, he's FINE, but I imagine we may face some things as he ages. He's on all the usual suspects of supplements but wondering if we should add in the occasional massage, etc. It seemed right to open our homes and hearts to a tripod after losing Berkeley. In a lot of ways, Buster reminds me of Berk - fearless and brainless. :lol

That is awesome! Tripods have a very special place in my heart. I am so happy for you!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

So, how is "Sandy" doing? he was such a love! What a great passenger he made.

For all those that don't know.....This little guy was being chased by SuperStorm Sandy all the way up the coast from Fla.

Edited by MP_the4pack

So much news today!

I'm glad to hear that Kyle came through surgery well. I'm adding my well-wishes for an uneventful recovery!

Kristin, I hope the Cerenia helps. C'mon, Pinky - eat!!

Congratulations on Buster! You might want to ask SuzieQ - her Maggie Mae is I think 4+ years post-amp now, (for osteo!!) so she might have some good insight for you. Someone in my home group has a tripod who has been going strong for at least 5 years now (soft tissue sarcoma, I think), so they definitely can manage long-term.

Chris & Kristin, thanks for the info on massage & the hot rice thingy (I think I actually have one of those lurking in the house somewhere). There is a local alternative therapy practice that I was taking Twiggy to, but they won't do massage on her. They do massage, but won't let me say what treatments I want her to have. (They actually make you sign a paper that says since you as a client aren't a veterinarian, you are completely ignorant of all medical services and have no right to have a say in the treatment of your pet!!) They work up what types and frequency of treatments they want you to pay for, and then it is all or nothing. For Twiggy, they decided she needed $1500 of underwater treadmill (to build stamina - yeah, in a dog that demands 2-hour walks daily!?!), acupuncture & chiro treatments per month. She won't relax for the acupuncture, was injured by one of the chiro treatments, and didn't see any improvement from any of it, so I don't think we are really compatible with their practice. It's a shame, because I would really like to pay them to do weekly therapeutic massage treatments for her. Sorry for the rant, this just really gets under my skin.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

For all those that don't know.....This little guy was being chased by SuperStorm Sandy all the way up the coast from Fla.

Was this Razor who came from GPAEC?

Was this Razor who came from GPAEC?

The one and only!!

Maybe I'll start a separate thread and formally introduce him. :)

Thanks for the suggestions Twiggy'sMom - I'll reach out to Suzie and see if there's anything I should be doing.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

It is with the heaviest heart that I type this...my sweet Pinky, my warrior girl, is gone :cry1 I got home from work tonight and while she was happy to go outside, her eyes told me that her little body was just too tired to carry on much longer. I made the decision to let her go tonight because I never wanted her to be a in a situation where she was unable to breathe, nor did I want her to be in pain. She was done fighting, and that's a good enough reason for me. She was doing her best to be here for me, and I just couldn't ask that of her anymore.

I'll do my best to be around here to be supportive of our new members of the club...it's not a club that anyone wants to belong to, but, I am damn glad that this wonderful group of people is here. The things shared here and the support received is invaluable to someone navigating these waters. Thank you all for everything you've contributed to my journey with Pinky.

I'm so sorry, Kristin.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I am so very sorry. You both fought the good fight.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

And through it all...everyone at the vet's office was amazing. There were so many people there to hug me and to say goodbye to Pinky. A few of the girls stuck around even though they were off work because they wanted to be there for us. Not a great many people can say that about their vet's office.