Osteo Thread V

I'm right there with you :grouphug I really thought we had a good chance to beat the odds :(

Good news is you've caught it and might be able to do something about it. My guess is its doxorubicin they'll use.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you guys considered using artemisinin and its derivatives, or adding additional in if you're already using it/them? I also recall Dr. Dressler's book having some holistic remedies specific to lung mets/tumors that sounded promising. I think someone mentioned one of them in here recently, and interleukin pops into my head, but I don't remember specifics or anything beyond that. It's been a few years since I read it and he may have new info. If you don't have a copy of his book, it's posted in the arte group (just search for "dressler book" and a post with the PDF file attached should come up) and he also has a blog you could search.

Really sorry to hear about Gia. Hope it's something that can be reduced/kept at bay for a long time.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I didn't really get a lot of information, because I'm at work and was already getting worked up just getting the news. Will the doxorubicin (I think that is what he said) reduce the tumor or just slow it down? How does it work from here?

I am sorry to read that Gia has mets. Doxorubicin is one of the two drugs used to hopefully kill/reduce cancer cells. It is by no means a guarantee however you can certainly give it a shot. We chose to try Carboplatin after a tumour was diagnosed in Charlie's chest as he had already done Doxorubicin and he handled the chemo well enough, we thought it would buy him so more time. I agree with Jen there are some holistic type approaches that may help. Also there is Palladia which is costly but has shown some success.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

no advice, just more hugs to everyone going through this. :grouphug :grouphug

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

My mom checked on Pinky around 2 and said she didn't look like she was feeling very well, but tonight when I got home around 6:30, she was at the gate with the others, and actually wagged her tail and made her little cooey noises at me :wub: She raced out the door with Ace and went to the bathroom. She ate her dinner jubilantly instead of acting like it wasn't all that exciting, and burped right in my face :lol (never have I been so happy for that to happen :lol).

We're seeing Dr. Bahns tomorrow to check some labs, etc and see if we can't get on the right track to kicking this edema's behind!

I'm just SO thankful when she rests comfortably :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Gia went in for her x-ray checkup today. They found a 2 cm spot on her lungs. :(

Crap. I am so sorry. I too hoped she could beat the odds. It sounds like you are working on a good plan with your oncologist; I'm holding onto hope that the chemo will work to shrink the mets.

when I got home around 6:30, she was at the gate with the others, and actually wagged her tail and made her little cooey noises at me :wub: She raced out the door with Ace and went to the bathroom. She ate her dinner jubilantly instead of acting like it wasn't all that exciting, and burped right in my face :lol (never have I been so happy for that to happen :lol).

What a sweet greeting - the cooing and wagging anyway, maybe not so much the burping! :lol (Actually, my old cattle dog would always burp in my face as a thank you for his dinner - I did always think of it as sweet! :beatheart )

Twiggy has had a big week or so - we went to our group's reunion weekend before last (where she won her 3rd costume contest as "the tripod"), then last Tuesday, she made 14 months post-amp, and yesterday she had the birthday she wasn't supposed to have - she turned 8! We celebrated by taking her first-ever trip to the dog beach for several hours where she sprinted out to the water and then about 15 feet into the water, sprinted down the waterline for at least several hundred yards. She explored and ran and surveyed her domain had a great time!

Then, we went to a greyhound playgroup in the evening, and she got a nice steak dinner. (This followed her filet mignon dinner from her 14-month celebration last Tues.)

Tonight, she got to open a present from her "auntie", and then got to play with her new all-squeaker snake. It's been a good week in Twiggyland.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

:yay Twiggy!

Pinky is losing protein. Albumin is low. We're going to start her on benazapril (sp?). At the moment she's getting a special IV that both Dr. Bahns and Dr. Less feel will help her turn the corner with the edema.

The great news is that Dr. Bahns says that her lungs sound FABULOUS and if she hasn't seen the films, she'd never know there was anything wrong in there.

She should be done pretty soon. I took the day off to be home with her, so I'm very hopeful that this IV will make her feel a lot better.

Little bits of the Pinky I know are peeking through, even though she is skinny she's much more lively and her little mannerisms are coming back :) Hoping for some more good quality time with my baby girl...

Great to read Twiggy is doing well!!! 14mths post dx and her 8th birthday! That is fantastic to hear and I am really happy she is doing well.

And Pinky sounds like a doll. I do so miss my boys meeting me at the door when I come home and it sounds like Pinky really gave you a welcome. Here is to many many more like this and I'll continue to root for her.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Pinky is home and resting well...the edema is ALREADY improved :yay So proud of this girl, she's such a fighter :beatheart

Pinky is losing protein. Albumin is low. We're going to start her on benazapril (sp?). At the moment she's getting a special IV that both Dr. Bahns and Dr. Less feel will help her turn the corner with the edema.

The great news is that Dr. Bahns says that her lungs sound FABULOUS and if she hasn't seen the films, she'd never know there was anything wrong in there.

She should be done pretty soon. I took the day off to be home with her, so I'm very hopeful that this IV will make her feel a lot better.

Little bits of the Pinky I know are peeking through, even though she is skinny she's much more lively and her little mannerisms are coming back :) Hoping for some more good quality time with my baby girl...

Heta Starch?? I'm assuming they feel the edema is because her albumin is low?

Yep, it was hetastarch. Yeah, that's what they're thinking. She's already SO much more comfortable...she ran with Ace in the yard tonight! It's so much easier for her to lay down on her own too :)

Yep, it was hetastarch. Yeah, that's what they're thinking. She's already SO much more comfortable...she ran with Ace in the yard tonight! It's so much easier for her to lay down on her own too :)

So, my question to your vets--why the low protein. Have you checked for protein in her urine?

Yep. She has protein in her urine. We're backing off the prednisone as that's probably not helping. Her kidney values were okay, but, she had bacteria in her urine....her stump has had some edema as well and it's not allowing her lady parts to breathe, so she may have a mild UTI too. She's on benazapril now to help with the kidney stuff.

Kristin, I'm so happy to hear that Pinky is more comfortable this afternoon and evening.

She sure is a great example for us all to keep on pushing and seeking out joy in life even when things are tough!

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Yep. She has protein in her urine. We're backing off the prednisone as that's probably not helping. Her kidney values were okay, but, she had bacteria in her urine....her stump has had some edema as well and it's not allowing her lady parts to breathe, so she may have a mild UTI too. She's on benazapril now to help with the kidney stuff.

Please contact OSU with these new findings. Proteinuria can contribute to strokes in hounds --especially since she was/is on pred.

Dr Couto usually places these guys on low dose aspirin. The benazapril (or you can use enalapril) will reduce the pressure going to the kidneys but, does nothing to prevent the stroke factor directly.

Edited to add---what was her UPC?

Edited by tbhounds

I don't have any idea what you mean by UPC.

Protein in her urine is nothing new - she had protein in her urine when I took her to the ER and Dr. Kellogg said nothing of it when I first contacted her. We were just hoping that maybe that would resolve once she started feeling a little bit better and it hasn't. Her kidneys aren't happy and we're doing what we can to alleviate that.

She was a happy girl this morning. I think I am going to start trying to feed her more frequent smaller meals though. Two cups of kibble at one time is too much and she seems to feel so stuffed when she's finished.

Guest madredhare

Yay Pinky! I don't know if you've tried this before or not, but you could try some baby food. I finally tried this with my Tom and he has eaten every meal for several days now. He's always been a picky eater though. It just seems worse since he got older.

Oh, we have no trouble with her appetite...it's just that she eats too much at once, and sometimes too fast. I think about when I've ordered a pizza before and it's SO GOOD, and even though I'm getting full, I keep eating, and then I feel like crud a bit later because I've just eaten too much food :lol So I might try to make the meals themselves a little bit smaller but give her three or four meals a day instead of two bigger ones.

Please contact OSU with these new findings. Proteinuria can contribute to strokes in hounds --especially since she was/is on pred.

Dr Couto usually places these guys on low dose aspirin. The benazapril (or you can use enalapril) will reduce the pressure going to the kidneys but, does nothing to prevent the stroke factor directly.

Edited to add---what was her UPC?

UPC stands for Urine protein / creatinine. This is a ratio of urinary protein compared to creatinine. It is a test used to help determine if protein in the urine is due to Urinary Tract Infection or due to problems with the kidneys. I'm sure Tracy will be on later and will correct me if I am wrong.

Jane

Here's her UA results...I don't see any sort of ratio indicated there at all:

Capture.png

I did send everything off to Dr. Kellogg this morning. She told me she is going to do some investigating and get back to me.

Here's her UA results...I don't see any sort of ratio indicated there at all:

Capture.png

I did send everything off to Dr. Kellogg this morning. She told me she is going to do some investigating and get back to me.

OK, I am definitely not a vet but I have seen my share of Urinalysis results due to having had two dogs with kidney issues. Protein is quite high but it also looks like they found some blood cells (both red and white) in the urine. They also found some bacteria. So it makes sense that they would think UTI. The UPC test is an add on test and is done if there is no explanation for high protein and/or low specific gravity. Based on my experience with just my dogs (i.e. once again, I am NOT a vet or vet tech), the typical treatment at this point would be to give an antibiotic and see if symptoms clear up and do a follow on urinalysis if indicated. It would also be appropriate to do a clean draw of urine directly from the bladder and send it for culture and sensitivity. This would allow them to prescribe an antibiotic targeted at the specific bacteria. If this doesn't fix the protein in the urine, then do a UPC.

All of the above is what was done for my dogs with kidney issues, BUT they did not have cancer. They did not have edema. I would think that Pinky's treatment may be quite different, given her unique situation.

I haven't been posting much, but I think of you and Pinky often. I hope they can get the swelling under control and give you more time to spoil her rotten.

Jane

She's on Clavamox and Zeniquin right now, in addition to benazepril and prednisone, and her cytoxan.

It just kills me because she still eats like she always has, and tries to be as energetic as her little body will let her. She's happy and here and trying, but she's not well. It's so hard. When I get home she is her normal self (albeit much skinnier these days), but by the time she's gone through her usual pomp and circumstance, been out to go potty, come in to eat dinner and take meds, she's beat and needs a nap.

And of course it had to be almost 80 degrees here today. Temps have been up and down so drastically that it's hard for ANYONE to feel well, even when they're not dealing with other factors. I've got all the fans in the house going, hoping to keep everyone cool.