Food Storage Tip In Light Of Diamond Food Recalls

Guest amn70

Guest amn70

Let me suggest that from now on everyone who pours their dry dog food, regardless of brand, into storage containers and tosses the empty bags remember to cut out the production code and best before dates from the empty bag before throwing it out and tape it to the storage container so in the event a problem like this occurs again you will have that information on hand.

And don't pour new bags of food into container on top of any remaining food from an older bag. First it means the old food at the bottom of the container never gets used and potentially will go bad but also means you now have a mix of two different food production dates in one container. Use up all the food in the container before refilling it with a new bag.

Excellent tip Adam. I had already thought that I would just fold the bag up and put it in the garage until the next one is purchased. I completely empty the container and wipe it down before putting a new bag in. I try to wash it out every couple of months but that's only as long as it isn't freezing out as I have to do that outside.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest amn70

The container I use is big enough to fit the whole bag in. I just cut the top of the bag off. This way I have all the info and the container stays clean.

That works to and is even better because the container never gets dirty. Out of curiosity what make and model of storage container do you have that can fit the entire bag and still close the cover? I really want to do that as well but can't find one that fits the Kirkland bags.

The container I use is big enough to fit the whole bag in. I just cut the top of the bag off. This way I have all the info and the container stays clean.

That works to and is even better because the container never gets dirty. Out of curiosity what make and model of storage container do you have that can fit the entire bag and still close the cover? I really want to do that as well but can't find one that fits the Kirkland bags.

I bought mine at Petsmart, not sure if this is the same one, but it looks like it:

Dog food container

The wheels make it so easy to move, especially with a full bag inside.

Sue ,Sky and Dood, Bridge angels Clark, Gypsy, Dreamy and Sneakers, Oshkosh,WI Heartbound Greyhound Adoptionsept2013sigcopy_zps8ad6ed09.jpg<p>

Our Sam's Club also had a similar container at a great price recently. It had wheels, and said on the label that it would fit a 50 or 60 lb bag. This was a few months ago, so not sure if it's still there. Will check this week, and post a link if I can find it.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I've been doing this because I worry about toxins from plastic leaching into their food. Just one of the many things I worry about :blush

Guest greygirls2

Great idea....I do pour mine into a large on the wall container so now I have no idea if the food that's in there was on the recall or not...my new unopened bag of TOW bag is so it's going back tomorrow. From now on I will save the bag...thanks!

I bought mine at Petsmart, not sure if this is the same one, but it looks like it:

Dog food container

The wheels make it so easy to move, especially with a full bag inside.

I do the same thing, and have the same container! I didn't realize until this recall that Diamond made TOTW :(

Glad you brought up this important topic.

We've had these containers for several years. Most importantly (for us) the plastic is FDA approved as safe "food grade" plastic. (Non-food grade plastics can transfer undesirable chemicals into the food, and be problematic for people or hounds with odor sensitivities.)

The 47 Qt. holds a 30# bag well, but anything larger needs the next container size up.

http://www.amazon.com/Airtight-Storage-Container-Quart-White/dp/B002R0EZQG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1336373216&sr=8-2

The "Top Paw" container (posted by Gryhndsr4us) looks good with nice size options, especially if it's FDA approved as a "food safe" grade plastic.

(When I was last researching food containers, I couldn't find well-sized FDA "food grade" plastics at pet stores. I hope that's changed by now.)

All pet kibble manufacturers with whom I've spoken about kibble storage recommend storing kibble in it's own bag. Reason: Kibble oils coat the inside of food containers. The leftover oils go rancid quickly, and can make pets ill.

(All the recall problems make this recommendation even more important.)

Otherwise, they recommend thoroughly washing the food container with soap and warm water, and DRY very, very thoroughly before pouring each new bag of food in container.

Edited by 3greytjoys

This is what I do also. If you pour the food from the bag into the container and then don't wash the container on a regular basis, you can contaminate the new food or have it become rancid. This way, the food stays in it's original bag - making it easy to check codes, etc. if necessary. ;)

Mom to Melly and Dani

Greyhound Bridge Angels - Jessie, Brittne, Buddy,

Red, Chica, Ford and Dodge.

Thanks everyone for sharing these tips. I just realized what a dumb thing I've done. :eek I won't let the pups eat or drink out of plastic containers if at all possible, but I put their food in a plastic container in the cupboard. From now on I will either line the container with food grade material or put half the dog food in it in the original bag. Then I also won't need to wash it as often.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest amn70

Can anyone verify what specific make and model of container will hold an actual 40LB bag of the Kirkland dog food in its bag. The bag seems to measure about 25" high but most of the food containers people mentioned on here are 23" high or less. Can't see how the Kirkland bags would fit.

WOW! I guess it's amazing that I haven't killed my dogs yet. I just open up a bag, set it on the floor in the garage and use it until it's gone. I never even close the bag up.

Quick, someone send the Greyhound police to rescue my dogs from me.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Can anyone verify what specific make and model of container will hold an actual 40LB bag of the Kirkland dog food in its bag. The bag seems to measure about 25" high but most of the food containers people mentioned on here are 23" high or less. Can't see how the Kirkland bags would fit.

Just a thought: The containers might be manufactured shorter for humans with different arm lengths to access the bottom of the containers. Also, the manufacturers likely expect people to pour kibble out of the 40# bag to fill every crevice.

The 55 QT. size (Almond) may work well after the kibble bag's top is cut open allowing excess air to be released. If you have space, the 69 QT. should be plenty large. If you care about food grade plastic, look for that notation, or BPA Free in the description.

Here is the manufacturer's link for Iris:

http://www.irisusashop.com/Index.asp?KB=KAISO&CID=115&L=0&page=2

(BTW, I can gently place tall 40# bags in the 47 QT. size, but the top of new bags of food sticks out above the container. I don't recommend that for others who want to keep kibble in it's own bag since the lid can't be closed immediately. Our kibble level drops so fast that we don't expect to lock the lid for the first couple of meals. Our hounds are not left alone with the containers so it's not a problem here. If we were buying new containers, we'd get the next size up.)

Edited by 3greytjoys

Just a thought: The containers might be manufactured shorter for humans with different arm lengths to access the bottom of the containers. Also, the manufacturers likely expect people to pour kibble out of the 40# bag to fill every crevice.

The 55 QT. size (Almond) may work well after the kibble bag's top is cut open allowing excess air to be released. If you have space, the 69 QT. should be plenty large. If you care about food grade plastic, look for that notation, or BPA Free in the description.

Here is the manufacturer's link for Iris:

http://www.irisusashop.com/Index.asp?KB=KAISO&CID=115&L=0&page=2

(BTW, I can gently place tall 40# bags in the 47 QT. size, but the top of new bags of food sticks out above the container. I don't recommend that for others who want to keep kibble in it's own bag since the lid can't be closed immediately. Our kibble level drops so fast that we don't expect to lock the lid for the first couple of meals. Our hounds are not left alone with the containers so it's not a problem here. If we were buying new containers, we'd get the next size up.)

I have this one in the 55 qt size and a 40 pound bag of Diamond just fits.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12251148&lmdn=Category

I have something similar to that, basically it is an elevated feeder and food storage in one. It's plastic, and the top holds the bowls (similar to this one). It doesn't have wheels, and I've never seen the one I bought since :( it holds two 14kg bags, or 1 28kg bag.

7218108076_e406044464_t.jpg 7004700518_27fa752995_t.jpg Walter (Windy Walker) and Ernie (PG Ernest) @WalterWallerson and IG: WalterandErnie 7150803233_d0700ccbdc_t.jpg 7004711314_ceba54665a_t.jpg

Guest nani

I just put the whole bag down into a plastic garbage can with a lid, after cutting open the top. The food never touches anything but the bag.

WOW! I guess it's amazing that I haven't killed my dogs yet. I just open up a bag, set it on the floor in the garage and use it until it's gone. I never even close the bag up.

Same here. The sad thing is that we own a 40 lbs food container, but we're too lazy to use it.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Same here. The sad thing is that we own a 40 lbs food container, but we're too lazy to use it.

:thumbs-up You rock!! ;)

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

I'm like you two - food stays in the bag until it's gone.

I've heard that kibble shouldn't be poured out of the bag into a separate container because the rush of air causes oxidation and bacteria grows faster - I have no idea if this is true, but it's easier to leave it in the bag in the cupboard anyway.

Edited by TwiggysMom

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties