Sophie Has A Lump

Guest LindsaySF

Hoping for good news on Sophie's surgery today :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinking of Sophie!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Just checking in for news. Praying...

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest LindsaySF

The surgery to remove the lump went well. No problems with anesthesia, no seizures at the vet, etc. The biopsy results should be back next week. The incision is bigger than I expected though.

Sophie is still not able to stand or walk on her own, but the vet and I agreed that I would bring her home, hoping she'd be less stressed at home. I have a harness and towel sling contraption to get her around, and my dad and brother are helping. (Bless my wonderful family for their support). The foot on the leg that was operated on keeps knuckling over, more so than the other back foot, but her whole hind end is very weak and not weight-bearing. Her front feet knuckle over as well but she does try to correct them, and can bear some weight on them with assistance. The incision is still leaking a bit and there is a lot of bruising. I'm doing cold compresses (frozen peas) and that seems to be helping. But it looks scary, ugh.

Right now I'm a bit freaked out because Sophie has been crying non-stop since 9:00 PM. I thought at first she was hungry (the Phenobarbital makes her crazy hungry and she didn't eat all day at the vet, too groggy), but I gave her a ton of food and still the crying continues. Then I thought she had to go to the bathroom, but of course she can't stand to do it. I put pads under her but she won't just go on her bed, I wish she would. My dad helped carry her outside and I did digital stimulation, and was able to empty (mostly?) her bowels. She did urinate when the vet techs were helping me carry her to my car, but not since. I hope she just gives in and goes on her bed tonight.

I did call the vet and ask what else I can do to make her comfortable. I'm already doing the cold compresses and she has Valium and Tramadol on board too. They said I could give the next Tramadol dose 6 hours after the previous one, so that's at 3:00 AM. I suspect that the crazy crying I'm seeing is a Phenobarbital-induced hunger thing, but she is refusing to eat 90% of what I'm putting in front of her. I've basically offered her everything I have in my fridge.

Please think good thoughts for her that she improves tomorrow. (And I get some sleep!) I am very worried about her inability to stand, the knuckling over of that foot, and a lack of pain response in that foot as well. Could the swelling cause all that? She's got the swelling on top of lots of seizure meds on top of anesthesia, poor girl. I know the first night/day is the worst, but now I'm second guessing my decision to remove the lump... :(

~Lindsay~

Hoping your girl feels much better today.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I hope you and Sophie were able to get some sleep. I will continue to keep her in my prayers.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Guest Fasave

Of course once I post about the crying it stops! Hallelujah. I'm going to sleep now. Hopefully she sleeps through the night.

Thunder did this to me once :lol Lindsay, you know Sophie has a special place in my heart. If the biopsy comes back without clear margins and you want to look into the chemo treatment mentioned in this thread that osu may recommend depending on the type of cancer, I know a vet locally who will administer it. He took care of Rizzo and Ave when they were diagnosed with soft tissue sarcoma. In the meantime, hoping for a good report back with clean margins. I hope you had a peaceful night.

Guest LindsaySF

Well I gave up on sleep. Of course right after I posted that she had stopped crying, she started again. I fed her everything in the house so I knew now that she had to potty. She gained some strength in her limbs overnight and is now able to stand on 3 legs. The surgery leg is still dangling with toes knuckled over :( but the vet is not concerned yet.

Sophie was finally able to pee outside while I held her under her belly with a towel. That was what she wanted and she finally fell asleep once we came inside. :yay That was around 8:00 AM.

Here's a photo of the patient. The debris is the remains of the rotisserie chicken I fed her all night. rolleyes.gif

380702_906577190123_24204182_39673806_643896432_n.jpg

Melissa, remember how dopey and limp Sophie was that day you helped transport her? She was like that times 10 last night. But slowly improving. Thanks for the chemo info. :) The biopsy report will be back next week so we'll see how we need to proceed.

~Lindsay~

Poor sweetie. (And you! Did you manage to get ANY sleep at all? :unsure)

Hope she gets stronger and that she has stopped crying... keeping my fingers crossed for the results of the biopsy :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

You were both through a lot yesterday, hopefully today is much, much improved. :goodluck

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

oh, your poor girl (and poor you!). Hoping she improves quickly!!! :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest LindsaySF
Poor sweetie. (And you! Did you manage to get ANY sleep at all? :unsure)

Nope. I've been awake since 5:30 AM Thursday morning. This can not be healthy....

So how much swelling is normal? This morning Sophie was more mobile, trying to get around 3-legged in the yard. This afternoon she has given up again. :( Her leg is very swollen. I called the vet and they said I could do gentle massage to increase circulation. A physical therapist (people) friend of mine said I could do some range of motion exercises, and to elevate her leg on a pillow. Will this swelling get worse before it gets better? I'm getting worried that she's not bouncing back from this as quickly as I'd hoped.

I don't think it's infected though because the incision is not oozing, and her rectal temperature is normal. I think it's just swelling from the trauma of surgery? What else can I do to aid the process?

~Lindsay~

Don't know what to tell you about the swelling. Some moving around would be good if it's just fluid pooling there. Does she have some antibiotics on board just in case? Sending lots of scritchies.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest LindsaySF

Yes she's on antibiotics. The bruising is getting worse too, so I have a call in to the vet. I'm not sure if it's normal or not. I've been massaging it but her lack of movement is probably not helping with circulation.