I have heard so many people complain about the trouble they have with their vet's and I thought I'd just put out there that there are a lot of really good vet's and I have two of them.

Yesterday was not a good day in the full house. Arrow had a vet appointment because he has been taking some antibiotic's for an infection in his leg and it needed to be rechecked. During this time Valentino started having issues with getting up and down and since we just lost two of his littermates to back problems I was very concerned. We called our vet's office and asked if it would be a problem to bring Valentino in when we brought in Arrow. They told us no problem and thanks for calling and asking! Mike took both boys, Arrow has another week of antibiotics because the leg isn't totally clear and Valentino now has arthritis in his back. While Mike is checking out Dr. B comes out and Mike is trying to reschedule Arrow's dental and yearly check up and they didn't have any openings for next week but Dr. B told them to fit us in. While Mike is on his way home, Jilly Bean who has been sleeping peacefully on our bed wakes up to Joey taking a flying leap on to the bed. She reacts like she's being attacked, goes for Joey and of course he nails her. :rolleyes: Mike calls and I tell him what has just happened so he immediately calls the vet to see if we can get her in first thing in the morning. Dr. B says from the sounds of it she should be seen right away and to call him when Mike gets home and if he's still in the office we can bring her back. Mike gets home, he calls, Dr. B is still there and tells us to bring her in right away. By the time we get there it is almost 7:00! He looks at Jilly Bean and finds another gash I missed and said, yep, she needed to be sewn up right away so as we're talking he gives Jilly a sedative and we chat until she's a limp noodle in his arms. He tells us to go home and Jilly Bean will be staying the night. We thank him profusely for waiting for us. I did tell him in the beginning that we would just take her to the e-vet but he said no, if he could prevent us from having to go to the e-vet he would.

I'll be baking up some cookies and getting a thank you note for Mike to take with him next Wednesday when Arrow goes in for his dental and physical! From the girls behind the front desk, to the vet techs in the back and Dr. B and Dr. Hezel, we couldn't ask for better care for our dogs.

Mike just picked up Jilly Bean. She has to wear a shirt for 10 days and is now on antibiotics too, so now I have 3 on medication. :rolleyes: Enjoy those years when they are young and you spend very little at the vet's office because when they get old, it catches up with you. Oh and I need to buy stock in Pill Pockets! :lol

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

You had quite a day! I love my vet too, she will always "work us in" if it's an emergency.

I hear you about enjoying them when they are young :) Mine are 8-13 yrs. It was so nice the other day, I took one of the cats in for his annual check up and he was perfectly healthy, in and out and home in less than an hour :thumbs-up

:kiss2 to Jilly Bean

Your post helps to restore my faith in Vets! We're on # 4 in 6 years. I sure hope this one is a "keeper"!

Hope Jilly Bean is none the worse for wear!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

I hope your crew gets to feeling better soon, Judy! One year I spent a grand total of $70 at the vet for BOTH dogs. Echo's back problems started back up almost immediately after their next round of annual vaccinations, and I wound up spending $1000 just in the first month. :rolleyes: So you're right, it will catch up to you! :lol

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

So sorry for your troubles, Judy, but what a great story to share. Scritches to Jilly and all who need them, kudos to your vet office!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest budsmom

I have to add that my vet clinic is awesome, too! Everyone from the girls at the reception desk, the techs & the drs. are fabulous! They know me & all the critters by name & recognize my voice on the phone. It would be way more traumatic for me to have to change vets than changing any of my own caretakers - dr, dentist, stylist. Every time I read about someone's horrible vet experience, I send up a prayer of thanks for the wonderful people at mine. I know without a doubt that I would never have gotten through Rex's cancer diagnosis, treatment, and loss without the care and concern of everyone at my vet's. When we let him go, I think his doctor cried harder than I did.

I adore Dr. Josh and Dr. Joe. Hate Dr. Shelly (Joe's wife). Years ago when Poodle had a stroke she started talking MRI, etc. and I told her the fact that I was on food stamps pretty much ruled out an MRI. She sniffed and icily said "well, if this is a matter of how little you can to spend on this dog we can try aspirin."

Poodle is still here 4 or 5 years later and our file has "Dr Joe or Josh ONLY" in large letters on the front marks-a-lot.

Drs Joe and Josh are so good to us. If I take anyone in for anything they run a glucose test on Poodle at no charge. Nail trims are most often free. Barkley had an 11:00 apointment a few weeks ago and there was some mix up and Dr. Joe had to leave so we didn't get in until 12:15. They refused to charge for the office call because we had to wait so long.

Plus, they are just really nice guys. When Bella went to the bridge Dr. Joe called the next morning to tell me how sorry he was. When I brought Buddy home he was in his office doing paperwork. He came out in shorts and a T-shirt, saw Buddy and squeezed me so hard that I thought my spine might break. He did pick me up off the floor a little, which is no small feat.

They are the best vets I have ever had. Of course, it may helpp that every time I walk in there I make a point to take food...lemon bars, pizza, cheese and crackers, pigs in a blanket, cookies, chips and dip...sometimes homemade and sometimes store bought. Once I took pizzas and had them cut into squares so they could just grab a quick bite between patients -- they said that is what they like -- a drive by quick nosh.

Jilly --

:getwell:dogcookie:kiss2

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest madredhare

I love my Vets!!! I wouldn't trade them for anything. Sounds like you had a hell of a day. Your meds sounds like my house. My 2 are on twice daily meds and now my foster is taking meds too. I have pill dispensers for both of my dogs. Just have to be careful not to mix mine up with theirs!

Judy, I hope everyone get well rightawayquick. A good vet is wonderful & ours maybe expensive but so worth it!! Every time I go in to pick up Noelle's meds they ask me how things are going & want to know how everyone is . Some of the techs aren't the brightest blubs in the pack but they don't last too long. Hugs to all & maybe they need some peeps to help them feel better!

I didn't know if Jilly Bean had eaten breakfast this morning and since she didn't have dinner last night I wanted to feed her if she needed fed. Mike calls the vet's office and Paula hears his voice and says "Oh no, not again!" :rofl:rofl He tells her we just want to know if Jilly Bean ate her breakfast and she said, oh yes she did, with gusto, in other words she swallowed it whole! :rofl Nice try Jilly Bean, thought she was going to get another breakfast. :rolleyes:

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest WhiteWave

Hope everyone gets well soon!

I love my vet too. He is great. He will stay late. I called them right at closing one day when my Min Pin got attacked by my foster dog. I got stuck in traffic on the way there and didn't get there until almost 6:30 and they closed at 5:30. They waited and treated Red. They will always work my dogs in when I need it too. They take payments. They do whatever they can to make sure your animal gets the best possible care within your means.

I also appreciate that the vets themselves call you. They could have on of the techs or office people, but they are always the ones that call. When my dogs die, my vet always fills out the card himself. Little things like that make it worth the trip there pass all the other vets office we pass along the way.

I also like the fact he will discuss things with you, teach you things, and is open minded!

So happy that it sounds like all 3 of your pups will be well. You are very right. A good weight is worth his or her weight in gold. Mine is a lifesaver and I can't thank him enough. And even though I hope I never have to see them again, the vets and the ER are also amazing doctors and truly caring people.

Get well soon everyone in the Fullhouse. I too have a great relationship with our vet's office. Maddie loves going there. When we drive into the parking lot she knows where she is and starts wagging her tail and pacing back and forth in the back of the SUV as she wants out now to go see everyone. I also board her there too when I have to go away. She gets the royal treatment from everyone there. When they go to take her back to the kennel, she does not look back at me, she is like PARTY TIME, Mom's gone.

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

I have several wonderful vet offices. But have also had several bad vets in the past.

Of course I am only about 35 minutes from THE Ohio State University and Dr. Couto's team. If it is a major illness, major surgery, or greyhound specific I go there.

I used to keep current at my local vet (10 minutes away) because they have vets on call 24/7 and vet techs physically there 24/7. If I had a minor emergency, they are about 1/2 the OSU emergency fee and the vet will meet you there within 20 minutes. The vets are very good but the pricing is pretty expensive for the area. I understand that they do have to cover their larger overhead. It's just that as my family becomes more greyhoundish, I wonder if it would be best to rely just on OSU (a bit more expensive than this vet but they "throw in" more things for free -- such as corn hulling) and my low cost vet. Speaking of which:

I have an incredible low cost vet named Rascal Unit. They started out as a mobile spay and neuter hospital. Then they added a second mobile unit. Then they added a small (single exam room) clinic -- with any procedures being done in a mobile unit (dentals, spay/neuter, wound repair, minor surgeries). Last September they moved and became a full featured 24/7 vet clinic and emergency center. Their focus is on providing low cost preventitive care and lower cost emergency and surgical procedures. For instance, a CBC (with just a visit with the vet tech) is a TOTAL of $15. A complete senior workup (CBC, chem panel, urinalysis, heartworm test, fecal, exam) is just $95. A similar junior workup is about $45 (there is less bloodwork done). It is $25 to get rabies and DHLPP shots along with bordatella.. All of the 5 vets were educated at OSU and one of them has greyhounds (and I do love Dr. Duncan). Dr. Couto himself told me that they are great vets and a wonderful asset to Columbus. I decided to ask them what a front leg amputation (following the OSU protocol) with a 5 day hospital stay would be. They quoted $900 to $1300 dollars as an estimate. OSU typically quotes $2800 to $3500. I would still do it at OSU because of their expertise. However, if I felt amputation was the right choice, and there was no way I could afford OSU, I would do it at Rascal Unit. As it is, if I don't need go to OSU for anything but bloodwork, I take my dogs to rascal unit. Rascal Unit CBC = $15. OSU CBC = $104 ($25 chart fee, $49 minimum visit fee, $30 CBC fee). You do give up some personal service, comfort in the waiting room, and ease of "use" of their facility (i.e. difficult to get a hold of a person during the day -- best to call between 9 and 11 at night. But for a vet tech visit, I don't need to make an appointment, I just show up and usually am in and out in less than 15 minutes.

I am just so lucky to live in Coutoland!

Jane

Edited by joejoesmom

This is my worst fear about moving--I suppose my vet doesn't want to move with us to South Carolina. I've had bad experiences with other vets, but she, her partners, and her staff are fantastic. And don't ask me where I'm supposed to find a vet that specializes in rabbits. Anyone with recommendations in or near Aiken SC please chime in.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Mike calls the vet's office and Paula hears his voice and says "Oh no, not again!" :rofl:rofl

Oh, I know how that feels. I've been in so often lately that they're calling me a Frequent Flyer, and gently suggesting that--no offense--but it would be nice if I were able to stay away for a few days.

I love my clinic. :)

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

i too love my vet! he never flinches about an extra dog being brought in. i always get thru and talk to him about a problem, i get an apppointment w/o hesitation when there is a problem, he doesn't like to waste his client's $$$, he likes to keep the dogs on the least ammount of meds, is compassionate, good diagnostician, doesn't like to keep a sick dog away from home- i bring the dog back daily pre-office hours for follow-up visits, and has his office line directed to his cell phone after hours. i've brought him numerous batches of home made cookies, flan(one of his favorites) and home made marinara sauce as well as given him my drawings and my husband's painting for his fantastic services. thankfully his kids are just teenagers and he needs to send them to college- so he won't be closing shop soon! he's definately "old school" and i love it.

Edited by cleptogrey

What a wonderful thread and tribute to your vets, Judy! The majority of times when I see vets as the topic on forums, it's some kind of complaint. This thread is such a pleasant change. :)

This is my worst fear about moving--I suppose my vet doesn't want to move with us to South Carolina. I've had bad experiences with other vets, but she, her partners, and her staff are fantastic. And don't ask me where I'm supposed to find a vet that specializes in rabbits. Anyone with recommendations in or near Aiken SC please chime in.

I'm more familiar with the Columbia area, but I know a number of greyhound folks in Augusta (not far from Aiken) through our group. When are you moving? I can ask for vet references in the Augusta area. The only vet I know in Aiken specializes in rehab and physical therapy. She does acupuncture, chiro, and laser treatment, but unfortunately not general practice.

Good exotics vets can be harder to find around here. There is an excellent clinic that specializes in exotics in West Columbia, but I'm not familiar with any closer to Aiken.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Mike calls the vet's office and Paula hears his voice and says "Oh no, not again!" :rofl:rofl

Oh, I know how that feels. I've been in so often lately that they're calling me a Frequent Flyer, and gently suggesting that--no offense--but it would be nice if I were able to stay away for a few days.

I love my clinic. :)

:rotfl. Dr. Josh said a few months ago that I was one of their best clients and I replied that I REALLY didn't want to be. :blush

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

What a wonderful thread and tribute to your vets, Judy! The majority of times when I see vets as the topic on forums, it's some kind of complaint. This thread is such a pleasant change.

That's what I thought too and our vets went way above and beyond and we appreciate them so much. I hope everyone who appreciates their vet's lets them know they do.