Acupuncture Question

Guest LittleGreys

Guest LittleGreys

I am looking for information about acupuncture from anyone who may be familiar with it. Specifically, my girl is 5 years old and suffering from advanced erosive polyarthritis. She is on high dose steroids and high dose pain meds, but unfortunately is getting to the point that nothing is helping. I am looking into alternative medicine, I think this may be our last resort at this point. I have a call into a local vet who does acupuncture to see if he thinks there would be any benefit, so while I am waiting for a call back, I thought I would see if anyone has any info that may be helpful to us. I have posted before about my girl, and gotten few replies, and I guess for that I am thankful that not many other greyhounds are dealing with this horrible disease.

My Margo had a bad back herniated lumbar area, also arthitic problems around the neck & middle back. She benefited from acupuncture for over 3 years & chinese herbs. NO steroids or other drugs.

She did well could walk, even run occasionally, wasnt in pain. A stroke got her 3 weeks shy of her 14th birthday

gallery_19924_3574_6591.jpg

Caroline, Mom to Daphne (49B-50215) and Penny (41D-55779)
Remembering Bridge Angels Margo and Sabrina

I"m sorry your young(!) girl is having such a hard time. I don't have experience with her particular dx, but my Pal who is 13.5 has lumbar stenosis. Acupuncture does seem to help him when he has acute flare-ups. For a while we did steroid injections and he responded well to those. For the past year+ he has just been on Deramaxx 50 mg and is doing pretty well. In my experience with acupuncture in both my horses and dogs, it can't hurt and it may help. Best of luck with your girl.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest BrianRke

We have a veterinarian that specializes in acupuncture and holistic medicine. She had performed acupuncture on many of the dogs in our kennel over the years. I have seen it do AMAZING things! I highly recommend it!

I am a BIG believer in accupuncture. It has significantly helped my various hounds with various problems, some when nothing else would help, and some when the injury or condition was very severe. Like chiro I think a lot may depend on the skills of the practioner. Dr. Boswell is highly skilled and has many accredidations and uses electro accupuncture. She has been a savior for my hounds. There is a lot to be said for opening up the energy pathways so the body can heal. I have found it to be remarkable, amazing really. She even tells you what points you can stimulate at home to help your hound and you can see a visiible improvement when you do it. So you might ask about that if you decide to go. Good luck with your sweet houndie!

Acupuncture helped my Alan with his rear leg weakness. He never had a concrete diagnosis so I took him for acupuncture. After a while, in his case, it wasn't helping as much as it did in the beginning. But I do feel that it's worth a try! Good luck.

I haven't had it done on a dog yet, but when I'm hurting I go to my chiroprator/acupuncturist before I'll go to a "regular" doctor. Acupuncture leaves me wonderfully relaxed and doesn't hurt at all. I've never had it on its own for pain, always in combination with chiro, but did have it by itself several years ago for recurrent bronchitis -- which hasn't been back since!

I had acupuncture done on UPS for her lumbar pain, some weeks it helped and some weeks it didn't. I know other dogs in the area who had sever arthritis who had acupuncture and they went form walking with an assistance sling to walking normally again, it truley was amazing. It certainly is worth a shot, can't hurt!

you might want to ask the Acupuncturist office,,, seems like i remember one telling me that some drugs

get in the way of the healing/energy opening benefits of acupuncture.

my boy LOVES the acupuncture, once he is back home. he's not that into actually going, being in the office.. he tolerates the needles well, and has had

good results from them,, but he only really relaxes once he's back in his own bed.

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Back in 2001, my girl Nylah had horrible pain in her back and neck. The vet was was not able to diagnoser her at all - I knew it must have been some sort of nerve degenerating disease or some spinal problem. I did not know anything about specialized vets such as neurologists back then. However, from talking to a friend about my girl, she mentioned acupuncuture. I was fortunate enough to have found a holistic vet in South Florida near me who administered acupuncture treatments on her as well as chiropractic treatments. He prescribed some mild herbs for her to ingest as well. Although it did not take the pain away completely, it did for the most part. Over time, though, she deteriorated to a point that it was time for her to be relieved of her pain. She was over 10 and went to Heaven in 2006.

My Sugar had a number of medical problems in her later years, but when her spinal problems started, she could barely stand, much less walk. I started her on acupuncture, and while it did take a few weeks, she got back about 90% of her mobility. She was a very timid dog, but tolerated the acupuncture very well. I wouldn't hesitate to give it a try.

Here in England acupuncture for animals must be done by a qualified vet, but we did manage to find one when Jack needed extra help for his arthritis.

He was on Metacam which was helping, but also doing a number on his stomach, so we couldn't increase the dose, and he was taking a good quality glucosamine and chondroitin supplement but was still very stiff and clearly in pain.

We took him about three times before the length of the journey made it too difficult for him, and he did benefit a lot. The first time was so funny, because while he tolerated the needles very well, and actually lay down to rest with them in, when we came out, he shot off up the road like a pup! He was raring to go and so much looser than he had been for ages. He looked full of energy, bless him. It wasn't a fear reaction, it was more as if he'd taken some kind of pep pill! :P

I have some pictures of him getting treatment somewhere. I'll see if I can find them.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

I am not familiar with your baby's diagnosis either, but we used both acupuncture and chiropractic for Andy, when it was determined that he most likely had LS. He was on high dose Pred, which we were able to reduce, but never got completely off from, and started out with the Chiropractor. She is also a "people" chiropractor, and had to work at a Vet clinic where there always was a licensed vet on staff. The acupuncture Dr is also a licensed vet, and made house calls for all of his treatments. Since it was absolutely stressful for him to ride, even when he was young and healthy, this was just so wonderful. He would just lay down and relax, and a couple of times dozed off during the treatments. She also prescribed Chinese Herbs as part of the treatment. Though the crappy LS finally won out in the end, I think that both things helped him to have a better quality of life, and would give it a shot.

Wanda, with the DC Racing Kids,

Eric ( DNT Finbarclancy )  6/29/14    Maggie ( DNT Oh Maggie ) 6/29/14

Lorraine ( DC Don't Rainonme ) 3/15/08 - 4/9/20 ---  Suzie ( DC Lazy Susan ) 3/12/06 - 9/4/18 --- Stormy ( DC Major Storm ) 11/29/99 - 1/21/12 ---- Andy ( Andy's Alibi ) 1/23/99 - 12/30/11

Guest LittleGreys

Do you know if your vet is CHI or IVAS certified?

I am still looking for a vet at this point, unfortunately I live in a rural area, so not a lot in this area. I was told a local vet had been certified to do acupuncture, so that is who I had a call in to.

As a couple others have mentioned, Chinese herbs are often used in conjunction with acupuncture, and I think the combination tends to work better than either alone. There are probably more vets who are certified in acupuncture than in Chinese herbs. Here's a site that sells Chinese herbs that will do a free consultation with your vet to determine which is the best formula for your dog. The founder of this company is one of the main instructors at the Chi Institute which provides training in traditional Chinese veterinary medicine, and they are very particular about the sources and quality of their herbs.

I consulted with them and used one of their herbal formulas with my girl a couple years ago for immune-mediated polyarthritis, in combination with acupuncture with a local rehab vet. My grey's case was acute, suspected to be associated with a Bartonella infection, and not erosive, so your girl would probably need a different formula.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Did I look for you before? Long time ago when Munchie started having problems?

It's best to find a vet certified. Many IVAS vets use chinese herbs, but I have found the ones here and in other states, certified by CHI use them more. Some vets get certified but aren't really converted to Eastern medicine.

Acupuncture works. Right now I have 3 getting treatments: Isaac, Batman & Willie.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest LittleGreys

Did I look for you before? Long time ago when Munchie started having problems?

It's best to find a vet certified. Many IVAS vets use chinese herbs, but I have found the ones here and in other states, certified by CHI use them more. Some vets get certified but aren't really converted to Eastern medicine.

Acupuncture works. Right now I have 3 getting treatments: Isaac, Batman & Willie.

Not that I know of, I never looked into acupuncture for her before that I remember. I will probably just have to use this vet regardless of his certification just due to travel issues. There is just no way I can travel several hours for treatments.

He is checking into some things for me and we will hopefully come up with a plan in the next few days.