Osteo Thread

X-rays are clear - :yay but we have asked that they be reviewed by a radiologist as well. The vet did acknowlege the swelling and did see how he pulls back as soon as his paw is touched. Will continue with metacam for the pain for now and wait to hear from the radiologist.

Any word from the radiologist yet?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

X-rays are clear - :yay but we have asked that they be reviewed by a radiologist as well. The vet did acknowlege the swelling and did see how he pulls back as soon as his paw is touched. Will continue with metacam for the pain for now and wait to hear from the radiologist.

Any word from the radiologist yet?

I have a follow up appointment on Tuesday- they probably have it back already but I can't get out of work to get there sooner. Its year end and a crazy time for me. Will request a copy of the x-rays then and will go over the radiologist report at the appointment. I am still keeping him pretty quiet - just nice strolls with no running. Sam is not at all pleased with my overprotectiveness.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

Update on Ben: He's had his third chemo Wednesday. He has been wonderful up to this one. Went to bed right away when he got home but did eat dinner. Thursday slept all day and ate most of his meals. Friday refused breakfast and ate half his dinner. Didn't want to get out of bed this morning when everyone else went out but he did eat his breakfast. Sleeping again.

Is this "normal icky" after a few chemos? He's scheduled for his Pamidronate next Wednesday and then has three weeks off.

Alice (missing 12/7/05), Wonder and Ben

Alice%20Sig.jpgWonder%20Prof%20Sig.JPGBen%20Sig.jpg

And our beloved Bridge Kids... Inky, Maui, Murphy, Ragamuffin, Della and Natalie

I agree that Cerenia tablets are helpful in combating nausea after chemo. Hopefully he has some. Twiggy didn't really have much reaction after her first 3 chemo treatments (carboplatin), but after 4 & 5, was a little reluctant to eat for a meal or two, and was definitely tired and had some nausea for a day or two. It wasn't until her last treatment (6) that she was really hit hard.

That said, every dog is different, and some get hit harder than others. It sounds to me like he may be having a little tougher time of it than some. Hopefully, he will start feeling better by the end of the weekend. If not, or he starts to get worse, you might want to call the oncologist.

I hope Ben is back to his usual self soon!

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

No, he didn't come home with anything. Scott is cooking hamburger for his dinner tonight which we're hoping he will get some of his zest for meals back. If he continues to be okay I will still ask the oncologist about keeping some Cereina on hand.

We are so grateful to have everyone's help and advice. This is totally uncharted territory for us. I was just thinking yesterday about if they do follow-up xrays on the hip and redo chest xrays.

He's been totally awesome it was unsettling to see him not himself. He's still taking the Rimadyl, 75 mg twice a day. They're chewable and he makes it a point for the others to see him and know that they're not getting "the treat." ;)

And our beloved Bridge Kids... Inky, Maui, Murphy, Ragamuffin, Della and Natalie

No, he didn't come home with anything. Scott is cooking hamburger for his dinner tonight which we're hoping he will get some of his zest for meals back. If he continues to be okay I will still ask the oncologist about keeping some Cereina on hand.

We are so grateful to have everyone's help and advice. This is totally uncharted territory for us. I was just thinking yesterday about if they do follow-up xrays on the hip and redo chest xrays.

He's been totally awesome it was unsettling to see him not himself. He's still taking the Rimadyl, 75 mg twice a day. They're chewable and he makes it a point for the others to see him and know that they're not getting "the treat." ;)

OSU always sent home 4 days of Cerenia (about $12 at OSU) and also 5 days (10 pills, one in am and one in pm) of Ondansetron. OSU charges $1 per pill for the ondansetron, cheaper than most human pharmacies. However you can get it from a local Costco pharmacy or mail order costco pharmacy for $17.22 for 30 tablets. I had gotten quotes from other pharmacies all the way up to $300 or $10 per tablet, so beware. If Cerenia and ondansetron don't work they can try Reglan -- it is on the $4 list at Kroger and others. Also, I assume you are giving him pepcid AC (famotidine) about 30 minutes before his morning and evening meals, then giving the rimadyl with the meal. If not, that can cause some stomach upset.

It does seem to be cumulative. Joe sailed through his first 2 doxorubicin treatments and then started having some issues after the 3rd. For the 4th and 5th we were armed with Cerenia, Ondansetron, Metronidazole, Sucralfate, Famotidine, and Metronidazole for diarrhea. By now I can just about open up my own pharmacy.

Joe takes Deramaxx and he "is NOT fooled that it is a treat -- it must be placed in peanut butter first"

Jane

We found that when you get to the third or fourth round of chemo, it takes it out them. Charlie was much more lethargic after his fourth and would not eat some of his favourite treats, e.g. bananas! He would just turn his nose up at them. If I recall correctly, he did eat most of his food though. I agree with the Cerenia as it helps.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I will have many more questions/suggestions for the oncologist next Wednesday. I'm so happy and feel much better about being proactive for Ben and of course, thanks to you all, more knowledgeable. :)

We started giving Berkeley the Cerenia the morning of his chemo, per the vet's recommendation. That helped tremendously.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Guest LittleGreys

Hi All,

So, I guess Munchie and I are joining the osteo club here. :weep I thought me might be OK when the orthopedist at Auburn U said he didn't see anthing on the xrays. Back before we did the stem cell therapy, I had sent the films to OSU, but had not heard back, I'm sure due to the staffing shortage there right now. Anyway, I kind of forgot about it, but out of the blue got an email from Dr Marin saying "Unfortunately it looks like an osteolytic (destructive) lesion in the proximal humerus(upper front leg bone, below the shoulder joint), but it's a bit hard to tell on jpgs files.

Here is the xray:

KellerSue-Munchie-08-48-23-0.jpg

I sent her a reply asking if it could possibly be a bone infection since she did have a sepsis in her elbow shortly before the films were taken. She said she would recommend a FNA. Will discuss that with my vet. I wish Dr Radcliffe would have done one while she was under for the stem cell, but hindsight is 20/20, can't go back now.

So........Munchie is not a candidate for amputation because of the erosive polyarthritis. I have been reading about pamidronate and might be interested in that, but would have to find out if that would interfere with her EP also.

She is already on pred, tramadol and gabapentin, so not sure what other options we may have. Since we proceeded with the stem cell, I think her osteo is going to progress rather rapidly. I tell myself that I will not keep her here for me, that I will let her go, I just hope she will tell me when she is ready and that I can make right choice for her despite my heart breaking.

I'm really sorry. :( I've been following your other thread and hoping you wouldn't get this news. Still hoping it's not osteo. Tough to see on the x-ray because I can't magnify the image. FYI, an FNA can be inconclusive, but you should be able to do it without anesthesia (although I don't know if her EP would be a factor in that). I will keep my fingers crossed that Dr. Marin is wrong. :goodluck

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Amidst my overwhelming sadness at the thought of losing Joe to this horrible monster, an act of kindness by a fellow greytalker has truly touched my heart. I thought I would share it here.

Joe had me post his "bucket list" Bucket list thread

Number 7 said: Get a new collar every week so I can go out and greet my public and allow them to lavish attention on me. (Joe knows that when I change his collar from the everyday one to a "special" collar that means we are going to a meet and greet or to the vet or to a pet food store).

I actually make collars for our local group, so this really wasn't an outrageous request on his part. He gets so excited over putting on his fancy collars that I just hold one up and he slides his head right in and prances to the garage door.

Well someone I had communicated with a while ago, sent Joe a new collar. She included the following note:

You're always there to support others traveling the same difficult path of cancer with their greyhounds that you are going down with Joe. I know no better way to say how much you are appreciated than to fulfill one of the items on Joe's bucket list, Item #7 - A new collar for a special day out. I chose the Celebration collar because each given day is a gift to be treasured and celebrated.

Well this collar arrived on a difficult day for me. I can't really remember what had happened, but when I opened the surprise box and saw what was inside I broke into tears -- but happy tears. The greyhound community is so caring, and I am truly greytful for all of you.

Jane

p.s. Joe is absolutely petrified of the "flashy box" so I will try to describe the collar. It is covered in multicolored streamers and stars -- very bright and festive. I arranged a personal meet and greet (no other dogs and very low key) at a local pet store, PetPeople, for Joe. Everyone absolutely loved his special collar.

Edited by joejoesmom

That made my eyes leak :cry1

Great job, Joe!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I am very sorry to read Munchie as joined this club. Like others I had been following your other post in H&M and really was hoping that she would not be joining us here.

Jane, that is a wonderful story and a great gift for your handsome Joe!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Guest kellygreyhound

Oh, this just warmed my heart! :colgate What a sweet gesture--it's just nice to know that sometimes the world sends folks just what they need during tough times.

Amidst my overwhelming sadness at the thought of losing Joe to this horrible monster, an act of kindness by a fellow greytalker has truly touched my heart. I thought I would share it here.

Joe had me post his "bucket list" Bucket list thread

Number 7 said: Get a new collar every week so I can go out and greet my public and allow them to lavish attention on me. (Joe knows that when I change his collar from the everyday one to a "special" collar that means we are going to a meet and greet or to the vet or to a pet food store).

I actually make collars for our local group, so this really wasn't an outrageous request on his part. He gets so excited over putting on his fancy collars that I just hold one up and he slides his head right in and prances to the garage door.

Well someone I had communicated with a while ago, sent Joe a new collar. She included the following note:

You're always there to support others traveling the same difficult path of cancer with their greyhounds that you are going down with Joe. I know no better way to say how much you are appreciated than to fulfill one of the items on Joe's bucket list, Item #7 - A new collar for a special day out. I chose the Celebration collar because each given day is a gift to be treasured and celebrated.

Well this collar arrived on a difficult day for me. I can't really remember what had happened, but when I opened the surprise box and saw what was inside I broke into tears -- but happy tears. The greyhound community is so caring, and I am truly greytful for all of you.

Jane

p.s. Joe is absolutely petrified of the "flashy box" so I will try to describe the collar. It is covered in multicolored streamers and stars -- very bright and festive. I arranged a personal meet and greet (no other dogs and very low key) at a local pet store, PetPeople, for Joe. Everyone absolutely loved his special collar.

Edited by kellygreyhound

Guest kellygreyhound

So Kelly has more vet drama due to the pressure sore from hell :blink: ****WARNING, gross pics to follow****

So, Kell had a nasty pressure sore on her left front elbow post amputation. The scab was thick and big, but her vet told me it was actually better that it stay on. She said that once it sloughed off, the skin underneath would be raw and delicate, so the longer the scab remained, the better. Well, last weekend it started peeling off on one side. But otherwise, it looked fine and didn't seem to bother Kell:

scabbypressuresore.jpg

Then I get home yesterday to find it has all come off. Okay, that wasn't wholly unexpected but what was unexpected was how deep this sore had been:

pressuresore.jpg (holy what, is that bone I see?!???)

Well, one of the many vets who had seen Kell previously for her post-amp complications recommended we come in and have them look at it. Sooo, after spending the whole of last night in the vet, they have clipped and cleaned the area, packed the "hole" with antiseptic dressing, and bandaged up the whole thing spectacularly. And we're to come back for daily bandage changes (boooooo, Kelly was none too pleased to be left off at the vet this AM). Given her history of resistant infections, they seemed worried about that (we're waiting for culture results).

Has anyone experienced a pressure sore before, is this normal nasty for such a sore? I'm not getting worked up about resistant infections again until we get some results--especially since Kelly was all fine and perky even when the scab was off (last time, she was feverish, lethargic, and clearly not well)... Oh she's on Zeniquin again for now.

Ouch! That is nasty looking. I have not seen that but not having many Greys, I don't have the experience. I'm glad they did bandage that up because, wow....Hopefully she heals quickly!

Holy crap, that is one pressure sore! I have no advice other than keep it protected somehow.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Not my osteo dog, but another of our greyhounds came to us with horrible, done-to-the-bone pressure sores. They can take a long while to heal and can look pretty bad while they're doing it.

Was it Twiggy or Berks that had to use the vacuum bandage post-amp? Anyway, hope she feels better soon!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guys, I need some good thoughts here.

Pepper, my nine year old, is limping. Front right leg.

I'm going to give it a day because I know it could be anything, but I don't like the way it looks.

Guys, I need some good thoughts here.

Pepper, my nine year old, is limping. Front right leg.

I'm going to give it a day because I know it could be anything, but I don't like the way it looks.

We'll be thinking good thoughts, here.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)