Osteo Thread

Wendy, it sucks that you have to stop the Palladia, but at least now you know what was causing all of Twiggy's issues and can resolve those.

Continued good thoughts for Charlie. :goodluck

Happy birthday Pinky! :b-day

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an email in to OSU, but can anyone give me an insight into how often we would do cytoxan if we're not doing Palladia? Would it still be every other day? I imagine that wouldn't affect the dosage.

I need to make a consult appointment to talk about this with Dr. T, but I'd like to be armed with info before I go.

Also I think someone said it has to be compounded specifically for your dog, and where was it that you get it?

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Dude's dosing was every other day, with the off days being feldane (nsaid). It's compounded based on body weight. We got ours through Diamondback Pharmacy online. They were very good, not too expensive, and fast to deliver.

Happy Birthday Pinky!

:grouphug Kyle and Charlie

:thumbsup Twiggy!

Edited by greysmom

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Hopefully, Symbra was able to have chemo this week. Have you been able to do the trial run with the camper yet? :)

Symbra did indeed get her third chemo treatment on Tuesday, and as far as I know, didn't seem to have many side effects at all (husband handles most of the feedings and didn't comment on a lack of appetite). My dad brought the popup camper back to us on Wednesday - I haven't talked to husband yet about when we will set that up, as my mom is visiting us this weekend, and we need to use it next weekend at Gettysburg.

Her 3 month chest rads are scheduled for May 4.

IMG_20120418_202417.jpg

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

:wub:

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

That's a beautiful picture of Symbra! I bet she'll do just fine with the camper!

Regarding cytoxan frequency, I don't know about if you are doing cytoxan + nsaid exclusively, but we were doing 3 days/week in conjunction with the Palladia 3 days/week. I'm not sure if the dosing would be more frequent w/o the Palladia.

Twiggy's oncologist did tell me something interesting about cytoxan dosing, however. I mentioned to him a couple times that Twiggy's dose was significantly higher than other hounds I knew. (12mg for a small female, versus 3 much larger males all on 10mg). He told me first of all that there is a wide range of dosing protocols (from 10mg per m2 to up to 50mg per m2) (m2 = meter squared). He then told me about a recent study (it was brief, but he felt long enough to be relevant). He said that the desired effect of cytoxan is to suppress T-reg lymphocytes. The study dosed half the dogs at 10 mg/m2, and the rest at 15mg/m2. The dogs at 10mg/m2 did not have the desired suppression by the end of the study, while the dogs at 15mg/m2 did. That is why he dosed Twiggy at 12mg (=15mg/her m2). This made me feel better about the dosing she was getting.

I'm just trying to summarize his explanation to me - if any of the resident GT medical peep can shed additional light on this, or correct any errors I may have made, please do!

As for where to get it, there may be a compounding pharmacy near you - I have one locally that I can go to. Otherwise, I think several people use SBH Medical in Ohio. The only thing with that is you have to pay shipping (which for me, more or less negated any savings on the drug itself). The pharmacy near me costs about $45 for a month's supply, so not outrageous.

Kyle, I know this must be so hard for you. Especially seeing Charlie not his full self. I'm thinking of all of you often. It must also be hard having him not wanting to take his pills (I am so lucky with Twiggy). I hope he can get relief from some of his issues soon.

I'm sorry for writing (yet another) novel here - most of you all probably know me well enough by now to know I just can't seem to stop myself!

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

I knew it, I just knew it. Clear x-rays of his lower leg. But I knew he had osteo even though the vet did not believe me. Tonight Sam went out after dinner and his shoulder shattered. There was nothing that could be done and we helped him to the bridge.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

So, Hurley has been coughing and sputtering and making choking sounds off and on, sporadically for about a week or so. Tonight, I came home and he sounded like he was choking again. We tried to write it off and not worry each individual time but it's obviously a pattern. His breathing sounds a little noisy now, he tried to pretend it's not happening but I can hear it. :angryfire I booted up the computer to ask whether this means lung mets and founf the thread about Charlie (which was a surprise to me from hiding under my rock so long) Charlie, you are the strongest greyhound I know and we will all get through this! Anyway, I will obviously take him in for xrays but I don't know if I should rush in now (I'm supposed to meet my husband and a friend in an hour and a half for a drink) or tomorrow but certainly I will move them up to this week (they were scheduled for May 1)......and try not to freak out until I know the truth.

I was supposed to be posting that all was good, we had just visited the holistic vet and got our recommendations but I may have to wait on that now.

I need more time, dear Hurley Dawg!

Bow Wow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yay :)

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background

I knew it, I just knew it. Clear x-rays of his lower leg. But I knew he had osteo even though the vet did not believe me. Tonight Sam went out after dinner and his shoulder shattered. There was nothing that could be done and we helped him to the bridge.

Oh my God. I am so sorry, Deb. So, so sorry. :grouphug

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

There are just no words for how awful that is. I'm so very, very sorry. :grouphug

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

I am very sorry to read about Sam!

Edited to add: I haven't given my condolences yet for Joe's family and was unable to find a Remembrance thread...so I just wanted to add that I am very sorry that Joe was taken away from those who loved him. I hope you heal and can find peace so that you can continue to help, but in your own time. Huge hugs.

Edited to add: I think Sam's family had a heart-wrenching day and I offer the biggest cyber hugs possible!

Edited by GreytHurleyDawg

Bow Wow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yay :)

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background

:cry1 I'm so very sorry to hear about Sam :(

My hound, Huck just got the word he has Osteo today. Started limping about a week ago. I took him to the vet the same day and she treated him for muscle pull. Limp got worse. We went to Charleston Veterinary Referral Center today and got the word. I am in a state of shock and don't know what to do. He is the IBD dog and has never had a really good day on this earth. He just turned 6. Vet in Charleston said it may be worthwhile to try palliative (medication and radiation therapy) while attempting to gain control of his IBD. If his quality of life appears to improve with further IBD treatment, we may consider amputation and chemo. The vet phoned in Tylenol 3 last night, but the drug store in this one horse town closed early. I was really blind sided as I thought we were going to Charleston for a pinched nerve in his neck.

I am so sorry. :( Hugs to you.

So, Hurley has been coughing and sputtering and making choking sounds off and on, sporadically for about a week or so. Tonight, I came home and he sounded like he was choking again. We tried to write it off and not worry each individual time but it's obviously a pattern. His breathing sounds a little noisy now, he tried to pretend it's not happening but I can hear it. :angryfire I booted up the computer to ask whether this means lung mets and founf the thread about Charlie (which was a surprise to me from hiding under my rock so long) Charlie, you are the strongest greyhound I know and we will all get through this! Anyway, I will obviously take him in for xrays but I don't know if I should rush in now (I'm supposed to meet my husband and a friend in an hour and a half for a drink) or tomorrow but certainly I will move them up to this week (they were scheduled for May 1)......and try not to freak out until I know the truth.

I was supposed to be posting that all was good, we had just visited the holistic vet and got our recommendations but I may have to wait on that now.

I need more time, dear Hurley Dawg!

I would definitely get it checked out - hopefully it's nothing!

My hound, Huck just got the word he has Osteo today. Started limping about a week ago. I took him to the vet the same day and she treated him for muscle pull. Limp got worse. We went to Charleston Veterinary Referral Center today and got the word. I am in a state of shock and don't know what to do. He is the IBD dog and has never had a really good day on this earth. He just turned 6. Vet in Charleston said it may be worthwhile to try palliative (medication and radiation therapy) while attempting to gain control of his IBD. If his quality of life appears to improve with further IBD treatment, we may consider amputation and chemo. The vet phoned in Tylenol 3 last night, but the drug store in this one horse town closed early. I was really blind sided as I thought we were going to Charleston for a pinched nerve in his neck.

So sorry to hear about Huck. :( You are going to need something stronger than Tylenol (heck, I wouldn't use Tylenol at all...?). Can he get deramaxx, tramadol, and/or gabapentin with his IBD treatment?

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

So sorry to hear about Huck. :( You are going to need something stronger than Tylenol (heck, I wouldn't use Tylenol at all...?). Can he get deramaxx, tramadol, and/or gabapentin with his IBD treatment?

Tramadol and gabapentin might indeed be better options, especially with his IBD history. I'm so sorry you and your boy are facing this.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Charlie is gone...

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Kyle, I am so very sorry. I have always lurked and followed this thread. Such, such sad news. You are in my thoughts.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I'm sorry, Charlies_Dad and Charlie's mom. Run with the wind, big fella.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Deb, I'm so sorry about Sam.

Charlie is gone...

Oh no. :cry1 Kyle, I'm so sorry. I know you did what was best for your boy, I hope you can take some comfort in that. Please give my condolences to your wife as well.

Today is a very sad day in here. :(

FYI, Tylenol 3 has codeine in it so its a strong pain killer, but I agree that it may not he the best choice. I would start with Tramadol and Gabapentin like Jey said. Most people also use an NSAID but I don't know if that would he an issue with the IBD. I'm sorry you're facing this.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."