Osteo Thread

Oh Charlie! He was the best ambassadog ever!

My condolences and thoughts are there with you and your family!

Bow Wow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yay :)

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a horrible sucky day......................................

:grouphug for Kyle

:grouphug for Deb

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Oh Kyle, I'm so very sorry :cry1 I just felt the air go out of my lungs when I read that :(

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Hurley has an xrays appt set up for Monday morning. If he becomes worse, I will take him to the e vet but I want the oncologist to make the diagnosis. I will post afterwards! Yes, I am hugging him and loving him right now. My sister is finally here in the state for a visit so she has not seen him since this all began.

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background

I'm sorry to hear about Huck.

Kyle, I gasped when I saw your post. Charlie was so much to so many of us. When Lily was sick, he was my inspiration, my hope--and YOU sent me calming words when I was freaking out at her diagnosis.

I'm thinking of you.

Pam with Sockem the GH, Birdie the JRT, Osorno the chocolate lab, and Shelby the shepherd mix. Missing Clarice (1991-2007) and Lily (2004-2012), always in our hearts.

I knew it, I just knew it. Clear x-rays of his lower leg. But I knew he had osteo even though the vet did not believe me. Tonight Sam went out after dinner and his shoulder shattered. There was nothing that could be done and we helped him to the bridge.

I am sorry to hear this. For those of you dealing with limping dogs, make sure your vet xrays all the way to the shoulder, always :(

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Edited to add: we took him to the evet since the breathing was labored and we were hoping it was pneumonia or something.

The news is not good : Hurley's lungs are full of metasteses. We have him on prednisone until the appt Monday to discuss palladia or other treatment. She assured us that we are not at the end yet but it will be soon.

I'm just putting it all into perspective now. I was supposed to be enjoying my time with my sister(whom I haven't seen on 6 months) this week and instead I have some important decisions to make. I'm glad she will be here with me though!

Edited by GreytHurleyDawg

Siggy4.jpg

The news is not good : Hurley's lungs are full of metasteses.

I'm so sorry to see your bad news about Hurley, Johanna. Thinking about you and your beloved boy. :grouphug

Very tough couple of weeks here. :(

Edited by 45MPHK9

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Guest LittleGreys

I missed a few days on here, so missed some things. So much sadness, my thoughts and prayers are with you all. :grouphug

I am sorry to hear this. For those of you dealing with limping dogs, make sure your vet xrays all the way to the shoulder, always :(

I know I should have insisted on more x-rays. When the vet was checking him out he showed no tenderness in the shoulder - it was the lower leg that i was so worried about. I was so sure - from watching the limp - that it was osteo but it seemed that i was the only one that would NOT accept that it wasn't. i'm not usually a drama queen, but I'm sure everyone at the vet's office and the radiologist thought I was with my insistence that it was osteo even though the x-rays were clear.

In some respects, I feel like I let him down so badly. But I let him be Sam, right up till the very end - no coddling, no drugs - just Sam as he always was. After we got the all clear, and the limp had disappeared I finally let him run again.

This was taken last week a little over a week ago.

Sam's last run

Edited by djsgreys

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

Dammit :cry1 I'm so sorry, Johanna. Not a good week for our people here, that's for sure :(

All of this makes me so very apprehensive about Pinky...she and Hurley had their amps around the same time. I'm seriously thinking about asking for chest rads on her next week.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Krissy, everything is hard to look back at but I am a little amazed that they do wait so long between xrays. A blood exam and physical exam were all he had after chemotherapy. Apparently, those did not show any lung damage. April 2 was his physical. So either it really sprouted quickly or it was forming but silent. Xrays can't hurt!

Siggy4.jpg

Pinky hasn't had any rads since the day she was diagnosed. I found it odd that he hasn't wanted any yet, and wanted to wait until 3 months after her chemo to do them. It's just been a month since her last chemo treatment.

I think I'll be calling on Monday morning. I can't believe I didn't push for them sooner but I'm going to now.

I'm so sorry to hear that Hurley has lung mets. :( I know you are able to get him comfortable and have a lot of time left.

Deb, if you had gotten that x-ray proof, would you have done anything differently? Unless you would have amputated, it probably doesn't make a difference that you didn't push for the shoulder x-ray. Sam was happy doing what he loved right up until his leg fractured and you probably couldn't have prevented the fracture even if you had known.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Edited to add: we took him to the evet since the breathing was labored and we were hoping it was pneumonia or something.

The news is not good : Hurley's lungs are full of metasteses. We have him on prednisone until the appt Monday to discuss palladia or other treatment. She assured us that we are not at the end yet but it will be soon.

I'm just putting it all into perspective now. I was supposed to be enjoying my time with my sister(whom I haven't seen on 6 months) this week and instead I have some important decisions to make. I'm glad she will be here with me though!

I am so sorry!

Crap, what a week. :(

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Deb, my girl broke her upper forearm. They did x-rays after the break and saw no signs of osteo, even then. But really, how does a dog break a bone standing in her living room unless there's osteo in the picture? (We lost her in surgery--pulmonary embolism.)

And there have been a couple of other dogs on Greytalk that broke bones, had x-rays that showed no cancer, had surgery to repair breaks, and then showed the cancer on x-rays weeks later.

This is just to say that careful x-rays of Sam's shoulder still might not have revealed osteo. In my Oreo's case, we all were sure osteo was lurking and we went hunting for it; it just didn't show. There's still no proof that osteo caused her break, but I was/am as sure of it as you are.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

A second heartbreaking weekend here in a row.

I am so sad to hear all this awful news.

For Sam taken so suddenly, for Huck for a peaceful passing, for Charlie who fought so long, and for Hurley whose fight is taking a difficult turn - and to all of the families, I am sending wishes of peace and strength and healing.

Edited by TwiggysMom

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Guest snakes

My condolences to all those who have suffered this week.

Unfortunatly we can all look hindsight 20/20, you/we are all doing what we think best for our pups. Sometimes followup xrays are good just for us humans to know what we are dealing with and for peace of mind at times, others may think it is better to simply follow our p[ups lead and live in the moment, neither is right or better.

If the past almost 16 months has taught me anything it is that I will forever doubt and wonder everything having to do with FedX's OS, but that is a cross to bear and I just have to do what is the best option at the moment. This and any other cancer will never be an easy path for anyone we can just work to make it better which is where this thread helps so much...

Hurley was helped to the bridge at 4am our time. His heart was failing. No one else knows yet and I just feel like I can't sleep without letting someone who cares know. He had a really good run and he is always with me.

Siggy4.jpg

Hurley was helped to the bridge at 4am our time. His heart was failing. No one else knows yet and I just feel like I can't sleep without letting someone who cares know. He had a really good run and he is always with me.

Ugh- I'm so sorry. I care. He will always remain within your heart.

I'm so sorry for your loss, and that you didn't get more time with your boy.

Run with the wind, Hurley.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.