Osteo Thread

Guest LittleGreys

Greysmom-how wonderful for Dude to let you know he is still watching over you.

I posted an update on Munchie in a new thread. We got the extraordinary news today that her osteosarcoma diagnosis was incorrect, at this point in time there is no evidence of osteo.

From one of my favorite songs:

"I've seen miracles just happen, silent prayers get answered, broken hearts become brand new. That's what faith can do" ---Kutless

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bernadette

My boy Vinnie will be nine in August. Such a mommas boy. About a week ago (about the time my cat went into the hospital and I was deciding what to do with my lame horse...!!), Vinnie started to limp. It was pretty significant, not at a walk but when he would pick up the pace on his leash. Front left. Never made a peep about it while walking. Indoors, he ran after a toy and squealed and was holding up his left paw for me. I inspected it, found nothing. Then he squaled again as he was going upstairs (thick carpeting).

The limp has gone away, it was around for maybe three days. Now you wouldn't even know there had been an issue.

I have noticed a little more panting. One night he was asleep on my daughters bed. He got up to come into my room (upstairs is always cool), just a few feet, and he was panting. This has happened a couple of times. Am I looking too hard for things?

I don't want to be a Nervous Nellie... but I have to be realistic.

He has also started whining a lot more in the last couple of months. SAme time every night, while we are sitting on the couch watching tv... I think he just wants me though... momma's boy, like I said ;)

Guest madredhare

It still does that to me and DH.

Good Teary Story: Dude lost his tags from his collar somewhere last year. They were always falling off and I usually found them outside under a bush or somewhere he'd been recently. But I never found these. I figured they were buried in dirt in their dogging hole and gone forever.

On Saturday, Lilly was digging around under the cushions of his red chair. She goes mining for crumbs quite frequently :rolleyes: so I didn't think anything about it - Until she came over and dropped Dude's tags in my lap. I'd looked in that chair several times for them as Dude layed there a lot and NEVER found them. Then, on the day of the super moon, sweet Lilly brings us a memo from our boy telling us he's OK. I just burst out crying. DH got leaky too. What a day..........................

I think it sounds like a wonderful sign. I still keep hoping to find my Dixie's collar that she lost years ago.

I posted an update on Munchie in a new thread. We got the extraordinary news today that her osteosarcoma diagnosis was incorrect, at this point in time there is no evidence of osteo.

"I've seen miracles just happen, silent prayers get answered, broken hearts become brand new. That's what faith can do" ---Kutless

FANTASTIC NEWS!!! :bounce1

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Okay, so I have Pinky's script for piroxicam but haven't filled it yet because I wanted to call a couple of pharmacies. I get everything else filled at Target, so I called them...for 30 10mg pills, it's $34.99...at Walgreen's, the price is $60.69!! :eek What a huge difference! I think I'll be going to Target :nod

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Ben's leg has returned to normal. Eating well (as long as there is canned food or fresh cooked chicken or hamburger). Sleeping a lot. When I come home at lunch time he doesn't come out to greet at the door. After a few minutes he appears. He doesn't have chemo (#5) again until the 23rd so I'm hoping he perks up some before then.

Alice (missing 12/7/05), Wonder and Ben

Alice%20Sig.jpgWonder%20Prof%20Sig.JPGBen%20Sig.jpg

And our beloved Bridge Kids... Inky, Maui, Murphy, Ragamuffin, Della and Natalie

For some reason, I had the moment Berkeley broke his leg hit me at the gym today unexpectedly. I choked back tears... and have been feeling pretty down all night. It's so hard. It'll be two months on the 12th, but it's still very raw for me. :(

In some better news - my husband and I are working out a fundraising effort for OSU for our upcoming marathon/half marathon. As soon as we have the details, I'll pass them on.

I'm so sorry you had to relive that awful moment. I know you'll always remember it, but I do hope that all of your wonderful memories can flood in and overwhelm those painful ones.

Just checked Symbra's CBC results online and we're a go for chemo #4 today.

Good thoughts for Symbra today! I hope all went well. I can't remember if you are getting Cerenia tabs for her, but nausea can be a little worse after these later treatments. Also, omeprazole (Prilosec) is helpful, too.

It still does that to me and DH.

Good Teary Story: Dude lost his tags from his collar somewhere last year. They were always falling off and I usually found them outside under a bush or somewhere he'd been recently. But I never found these. I figured they were buried in dirt in their dogging hole and gone forever.

On Saturday, Lilly was digging around under the cushions of his red chair. She goes mining for crumbs quite frequently :rolleyes: so I didn't think anything about it - Until she came over and dropped Dude's tags in my lap. I'd looked in that chair several times for them as Dude layed there a lot and NEVER found them. Then, on the day of the super moon, sweet Lilly brings us a memo from our boy telling us he's OK. I just burst out crying. DH got leaky too. What a day..........................

What a bittersweet moment! It's got to be so nice to have his tags back. Like a little part of him brought back to you via Lilly. Kind of like how a big part of her was brought to you by Dude.

I was so happy to read your update in Munchie's other thread! This is just wonderful news! You have been on a rollercoaster ride with all of this, but it sounds like you have the best possible outcome.

My boy Vinnie will be nine in August. Such a mommas boy. About a week ago (about the time my cat went into the hospital and I was deciding what to do with my lame horse...!!), Vinnie started to limp. It was pretty significant, not at a walk but when he would pick up the pace on his leash. Front left. Never made a peep about it while walking. Indoors, he ran after a toy and squealed and was holding up his left paw for me. I inspected it, found nothing. Then he squaled again as he was going upstairs (thick carpeting).

The limp has gone away, it was around for maybe three days. Now you wouldn't even know there had been an issue.

I have noticed a little more panting. One night he was asleep on my daughters bed. He got up to come into my room (upstairs is always cool), just a few feet, and he was panting. This has happened a couple of times. Am I looking too hard for things?

He has also started whining a lot more in the last couple of months. SAme time every night, while we are sitting on the couch watching tv... I think he just wants me though... momma's boy, like I said ;)

I know how you feel - not a lot of hard data to go on, but a nagging feeling. It really could be anything, or nothing! I will say that before Twiggy limped the first time, I had noticed that she was panting in temperatures that wouldn't have made her pant in prior years. I wrote it off to her being older and a deep summer heat wave. Was this the first sign of her osteo?? I'll never know for sure. If you are really worried, x-rays can provide guidance. Sometimes I wish I could get a full-body scan for her every month just so I could know if anything is going on. I hope everything is just fine with Vinnie!

Okay, so I have Pinky's script for piroxicam but haven't filled it yet because I wanted to call a couple of pharmacies. I get everything else filled at Target, so I called them...for 30 10mg pills, it's $34.99...at Walgreen's, the price is $60.69!! :eek What a huge difference! I think I'll be going to Target :nod

:nod Meds can vary greatly in price - if I buy Twiggy's Metacam from the vet it is about $70 for 30ml, but if I order it from KV Supply (VET-VIPPS certified pharmacy), it is $75 for 100 ml - roughly 1/3 the cost.

Ben's leg has returned to normal. Eating well (as long as there is canned food or fresh cooked chicken or hamburger). Sleeping a lot. When I come home at lunch time he doesn't come out to greet at the door. After a few minutes he appears. He doesn't have chemo (#5) again until the 23rd so I'm hoping he perks up some before then.

I'm so glad that Ben's leg is looking good. As for the chemo, I think the primary goal is to achieve at least 4 treatments. He's done that, so that is great. If his counts are low, and his next one has to be postponed a week, that's OK, too. I do hope he perks up a bit, though - I know how it is to see them not quite themselves.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Guest snakes

HArd to say, ti could be anything, just our story...FedX was not limping or showing any signs of pain, he then was placed on prednisone for a mast cell tumor (planned to be removed), he was only on it for 2-3days but while he was a few times he would jump off the bed to greet me home and squeel a little, limp a bit, then it would resolve within a few minutes and it was like nothing ever happened. We stopped the prednisone due to it causing him to have daily seizures, about a week later he was running, then came up lame with the GSOD and the leg swelled up, we xray'd that day and saw the osteo. I still think it was probably there and the prednisone just hastened it along a little so we noticed it. Then we started this journey.

I hope that isn't the case for Vinnie, but I would keep a close eye on him, if it really haunts you, get the xrays, it can be worth it for the fact you will then know.

Guest kellygreyhound

Awwww, love the story about Dude's tags--so sweet and what a great sign that your baby is still watching over you! And what great news about Munchie!! Love it when this thread has good news and happy stories :D

One more happy story for the day: Kelly finally got her bandage off (the bandage over the pressure sore from hell)!!! Here's what that big nasty looks like now:

photo-1.jpg

Kelly will be sporting DogLeggs http://www.dogleggs.com/files/Adjustable.cfm from now on to prevent further pressure sores (and protect this one as it finishes healing). Anyone else use this?? My vet said it's a 24 hour thing, but I'm wondering if it won't get too hot/itchy/uncomfortable for Kelly...

Just for kicks, here's a Cinco de Mayo picture: photo-2.jpg

Yeah, I know, the indignity!

Those of you that did piroxicam, what dosage was your pup on?

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

For those of you interested in our little OSU fundraiser, see this link:

http://www.crowdrise.com/RunningfortheRacers/

If we reach $500 raised, we will kick in $100. If we hit $1000, we will add in $200, and if we hit $2000, then we will donate $300. :)

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

How's everyone doing?

Just wanted to update on Pinky...she has been on a Cytoxan, Piroxicam, and artemisinin protocol and so far she's doing really well! Her energy level is normal (ie, way too energetic :lol) and her appetite has not wavered.

This might sound weird, but I don't even notice that she's missing a leg anymore :dunno It's hard to explain.

But anyway, she's doing well. We're now at 6.5 months post amp. :)

I know what you mean Kristin. I would sometimes look at our other dogs and wonder why they looked weird with 4 legs. :rolleyes:

Glad to hear Pinky is doing well.

On another topic, this thread is getting close to fifty pages, which is the max the mods like them to go. Someone might want to copy the info in the first post and begin a new Osteo Thread. Or it might be time to not. I just think this thread is such a great resource and place to point people who are dealing with this.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I think it definitely needs to continue :nod

I'm posting from my phone though...will someone on a real computer do the honors?

Guest snakes

Might as well use up our last 3 pages :) It seems as if things on this thread have calmed down a little lately which is a nice change adter the rough patch everyone had.

I don't post too much as nothign to exciting to report with FedX. He will have a consult at Angell on the 29th jsut so we are all set up in case I want to do any more pamidronate treatments for him. It will be interesting to get thier input/view.

FedX is now 16.5 months post diagnosis and still going with a smile :) He's my little energizer greyhound :)

Glad to hear that FedX is still doing well! That is an awesome milestone and so glad he is cruising along. I believe this thread is so helpful in so many ways for those whose pups are diagnosed with Osteo and for the people who love them. My vote is to definitely go round 4. I have no problem copying the first page and creating a new topic.

New thread can be found here: http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/286427-osteo-thread-v/

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.