Osteo Thread

Dam*!!!!!

Now I am sobbing. There is no way I can read Valerie's post in Remembrance. I can't go to that forum at the best of times, much less when my Joey is terminal. Would someone please let her know that I am thinking about her and her family. It is just so devastating to lose yet another houndie.

Jane

Jane, I posted a message for you.

Take care of your boy.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG. I am just numb :cry1

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Today is my sweet Joey's ninth birthday. I will make him a late night snack of (hope I don't offend anyone) deer heart. It is one of Joe's favorite foods. Joe has been getting quite spoiled. He is now allowed some human food and is allowed to lick the dishes before they go into the dishwasher. He is greatly enjoying these extra privileges and is lording it over the foster Labradors who are not allowed such treats.

I am trying so hard to live in the moment but today is extra hard for me, knowing that this will be his last birthday.

Jane

A very happy birthday to Joe-I bet he'll REALLY enjoy that deer heart!

I know what you mean...but it's good that you're concentrating on living in the moment :grouphug

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Happy belated B-day Joe. I hope you enjoyed your treat!

Jane, you have both in my thoughts a lot lately. Please give your boy a hug from me.

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Happy Birthday Joe!

:grouphug I've been thinking about you a lot lately. Hope you can feel all our good thoughts and wishes!

One of the things that is so sad and hard about this disease is knowing that the end is coming sooner rather than later. You begin saying goodbye on the day your dog is diagnosed with cancer and it never gets easier or better.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Symbra says hi.

6825314002_fc7de325f8_z.jpg

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

I'm sorry I missed Joes' birthday! Please give him some belated birthday :grouphug hugs and :kiss2 smooches from me! It sounds like he is enjoying all of his privileges to the fullest. :)

I love the picture of Symbra - she's such a pretty girl!

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Symbra :wub:

So, I started a separate thread, but, have you guys been told not to do rabies vacs anymore for your osteo kids? I'm waiting for some info from OSU but I wanted to ask for personal experience.

Guest snakes

My vet recommended against any more vaccinations. FedX got an exemption from the city "for life" for his rabies vaccinations.

A question for anyone with experience. When a dog gets a pathological fracture, are they are to put any weight on the leg? Until now I thought if they did get a pathological fracture they wouldn't put any weight on the leg, someone else today told me that sometimes they do. I know the only true way to tell is to xray.

Symbra says hi.

I know it's an optical illusion, but, it looks like she is using her tail as a replacement leg - it is so LONG and straight! :lol

Anyone know what the situation at OSU is right now? Are there people traveling, etc.? I emailed Dr. Marin several days ago and haven't heard back.

One of the things that is so sad and hard about this disease is knowing that the end is coming sooner rather than later. You begin saying goodbye on the day your dog is diagnosed with cancer and it never gets easier or better.

It actually hit me every bit as hard when they told me he had a second primary tumor than when they told me about his first. For the first, I had already decided on a plan of action for different scenarios before it even happened. When we got past the 14 month median time of survival, I actually convinced myself that he was "cured". So to hear at 18 months post amp that he was going to die from this, it somehow came as a shock. I am struggling so much with this, losing Twister last July, and probably losing Twister's sister, Shelby, soon. I am naturally a very emotional person and this is really getting to me.

Jane

Symbra :wub:

So, I started a separate thread, but, have you guys been told not to do rabies vacs anymore for your osteo kids? I'm waiting for some info from OSU but I wanted to ask for personal experience.

I think the answer is no to any vaccinations. Joe was due when he was originally diagnosed. I asked Dr. Couto about this after his IV chemo and he said no. Of course Joe was also on a metronomic protocol so his white cell counts have been down ever since his diagnosis.

My vet recommended against any more vaccinations. FedX got an exemption from the city "for life" for his rabies vaccinations.

A question for anyone with experience. When a dog gets a pathological fracture, are they are to put any weight on the leg? Until now I thought if they did get a pathological fracture they wouldn't put any weight on the leg, someone else today told me that sometimes they do. I know the only true way to tell is to xray.

I think it depends on the fracture. I believe most are very catastrophic fractures which means that there would be no weight bearing and a lot of pain (no scientific study, just paying attention to what I hear). However, I have heard of a few people saying that their dog was still able to bear some weight. I personally know one person whose dog had a hairline fracture at the osteo site and was able to bear weight.

Thanks Jane. I'm fairly certain we'll continue with some sort of metronomic protocol, so I'd imagine we can cross Pinky having shots ever again off of the list.

Curious about Ace though with her leukemia. She also will be on chemo for the rest of her life, so I'd imagine we'd want to say no to that as well. Still hoping to hear back about that from OSU, and to hear back from them regarding a metronomic protocol for Pinky, since her last chemo is scheduled for Thursday. How long did you guys wait after IV chemo to start a metronomic protocol?

Symbra says hi.

I know it's an optical illusion, but, it looks like she is using her tail as a replacement leg - it is so LONG and straight! :lol

Anyone know what the situation at OSU is right now? Are there people traveling, etc.? I emailed Dr. Marin several days ago and haven't heard back.

I also noticed that the beautiful Symbra looks like she has a "peg leg".

Dr. Zaldivar is the only GHWP (greyhound health and wellness program) employee currently at OSU. Dr. Marin is on a 3 month leave to take care of a sick parent. I believe she is expected back sometime in April. Dr. Couto is currently in Spain. He has taken a bunch of vet students to Scooby to do medical outreach for the Galgos. He is scheduled to be back in town on March 13 (first day back). I really don't know what they are doing during Dr. Marin's absence. There are certainly other oncologists at OSU but they are funded differently than the GHWP.. Dr. Zaldivar's focuses totally on research and is funded by research grants. I don't know if the GHWP would be allowed to have her take on some of Dr. Marin's job while she is gone.

Thanks Jane. I'm fairly certain we'll continue with some sort of metronomic protocol, so I'd imagine we can cross Pinky having shots ever again off of the list.

Curious about Ace though with her leukemia. She also will be on chemo for the rest of her life, so I'd imagine we'd want to say no to that as well. Still hoping to hear back about that from OSU, and to hear back from them regarding a metronomic protocol for Pinky, since her last chemo is scheduled for Thursday. How long did you guys wait after IV chemo to start a metronomic protocol?

I'm not 100 percent sure, but I think we started the metronomic protocol somewhere between 2 to 4 weeks after we finished the doxorubicin.

Jane

OUr onco said no more vaccinations. The way vacs work is to make the immune system work harder to create antibodies against the virus, so you don't want to give shots to dogs with compromised immune systems.

Weight bearing after a fracture depends on the fracture. If it's a catastophic break, there's no way there could be any weight-bearing. A hairline crack or spiral fracture could possibly occur that would let that happen. I thiink.

We started the OSU metronomic protocol two weeks after the end of IV chemo. The chemo pill is compounded based on their body weight, so it can't be made until close to the time you begin. It took about a week to get the drug sent from Diamondback Pharmaceutical in AZ.

:wub::wub: Symbra! :wub::wub:

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Happy belated birthday to Joe. :b-day:kiss2

Today is actually Neyla's birthday. She would have been 13. I took the dogs for a hike at one of our favorite places nearby, Sugarloaf Mountain. It was one of the last places we went hiking when she was still with us and a friend came along to take photos of us together that I now really treasure. There were some sad moments, but overall it was a gorgeous day to hike and it was nice to imagine her there with us and remember how much she loved hiking and being outdoors. It was just one of the many things that made her the perfect match for me.

I did also finally start to work on her remembrance thread - well I'm working on collecting photos to put into a little slideshow that I want to put in the thread. I really wanted to do all of it today, but we got back a lot later than I had planned so it doesn't look like I will.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Love the picture of Symbra, what a beautiful girl she is.

Jen, I am sure Neyla was with you as you climbed Sugarloaf. I do hope she had a happy B-day and there would be nothing she would have like better than being in her favourite place with her favourite person. She'll be running free again now but she always look over her shoulder for you in case you need her and when it's time, she'll be waiting for you.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Jane.....I lost three in one year.(you met both Pearl and Diamond) And it sucks big time.

{{{{{{{{{HUGS to you}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

I think of that often Mary Pat. I have always been impressed by your grace during that time -- although I suspect that you fell apart in private. You are right -- It does suck!

Jane

Edited by joejoesmom

Berkeley broke his remaining front leg today, running in the yard. A truly horrific experience. My heart is shattered into a million pieces.

I want to thank you all for the support you've given me over the last seven months.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Oh noooooooooooooooooo. My heart goes out to you.

Godspeed, beloved fellow.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

We are losing so many so quickly. It breaks my heart. I can't even imagine. Crying a lot for them and pray for strength for all that have lost ones recently. It is so painful. Hugs to everyone.

Alice (missing 12/7/05), Wonder and Ben

Alice%20Sig.jpgWonder%20Prof%20Sig.JPGBen%20Sig.jpg

And our beloved Bridge Kids... Inky, Maui, Murphy, Ragamuffin, Della and Natalie