Osteo Thread

Thanks all. So far, his only symptom is moderate limping (well, plus the xray). But he has always (3 yrs) had a slight limp, so it was hard to tell when it really changed. He is still jumping around (which we are trying hard to discourage) and goofy as usual, eating fine, wants to go for walks, etc. One of the cats is now limping and not walking on his left front foot. Sympathetic pain??

Edited by tornadosgirl
2wck1zc.jpg

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My main concern is spontaneous fracture.

I know of dogs who suffered fractures and even after the break there was no sign of cancer on the x-rays. In a couple of cases, the cancer didn't show on x-rays until weeks (or even a month) later. Or the x-rays didn't show cancer where the bone broke but already showed it in the lungs.

X-rays might show cancer damage so extensive that a break seems imminent, but I don't think x-rays can accurately offer reassurance.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest snakes

We are doing palliative care with FedX but his tumor is in the wrist. None of the vets he has seen (i think we are up to 4 now) would say anything about the liklihood of fracture, just that it is always a risk. The vet that is the best with humans and that i trust, said the best thing was just to try and keep him quiet, no running or jumping. I specifically asked about limiting walking and she said to just base it on his comfort, if he wants and is able to keep going then let him :)

Of course as his OS progresses, the risk of course goes up...it is a daily fear that I just live with for better or worse...

I hope you have good luck at keeping Finn comfortable whatever option you choose. A few of us have done or are doing palliative care, but all of us have had to use the various pain meds out there and can give you our experiences to hopefully make it a bit easier.

Gia's second chemo is this week! We had her blood tested a week and a half ago, and I haven't heard any news from the doctor to change plans, so I assume it's going ahead as scheduled? She's been doing pretty well overall, but I've noticed a couple changes in her personality... She's been spending a bit more time on her own, when normally she's the center of attention. Not total isolation, but randomly throughout the day, I'll realize she's not on the couch with me and that she's chilling out in the bedroom instead. Also, she no longer really has sleep/touch aggression, which is a nice change! I sometimes find her cuddled up with her head on someone else's butt...that would NOT fly before!

I'm wondering about a physical thing, though... maybe you all have noticed this in your own? She's white with fawn spots/ticking, and on her shaved areas where you can see the skin, in the morning her skin is mostly nice and pink, but by the end of the day, it looks more mottled with dark spots. It doesn't look like blood or bruising UNDER the skin, it just looks like what you'd see if you shaved a spotted dog. It's very strange!

Can you post pictures of the skin thing?

darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I wonder if there's just increased blood flow after a day of being up and busy?

I've noticed similar dark spots with Symbra's skin where the hair was shaved away, and also on her hoo-hoo (rear leg amputee), but I haven't noticed if there's a particular time of day where it's more noticeable. I have noticed that the dark spotting does change in terms of how much of her skin is affected.

Edited by dmswartzfager

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

Dude had this happen all the time. He was VERY bald on his belly and inner thighs, so there was pretty much no hair after his amp. His skin would flush and pale depending on what he was doing and his temperature.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Two days to go until our vet appointment. Had all the others out for a good long run today but being overprotective me, could not let Sam run. I took a picture, just to see what you think, am I driving myself crazy for no reason - I definitely see a difference - why doesn't the vet

P3170209.jpg

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

It looks that way in that photo, but I don't think the legs are angled quite the same. If you look at the toes, it looks like the right leg is angled out a bit more, so I'm not sure you have the same perspective on both legs.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

It doesn't really make much sense why she wouldn't just take an xray. Anyway, it does look a bit swollen to me. But, remember, Dude never limped or had ANY swelling before he broke his leg.

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

X-rays are clear - :yay but we have asked that they be reviewed by a radiologist as well. The vet did acknowlege the swelling and did see how he pulls back as soon as his paw is touched. Will continue with metacam for the pain for now and wait to hear from the radiologist.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

X-rays are clear - :yay but we have asked that they be reviewed by a radiologist as well. The vet did acknowlege the swelling and did see how he pulls back as soon as his paw is touched. Will continue with metacam for the pain for now and wait to hear from the radiologist.

Greyt news!!!!

That's great news! :yay

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Thanks everyone - I still want to get to the cause of the limp and swelling and then I will be completely at ease.

Deb, and da Croo

:confetti:confetti:confetti

I wonder if he's torn or hurt a tendon in his wrist?

I wonder if he's torn or hurt a tendon in his wrist?

Both the limp and the swelling come and go. Last night he was fine, and then he went to get off the couch and yelped and sure enough it was noticably swollen again. Everything seemed fine again this morning. So I don't think it is tendon injury but just do not know what if can be.

Deb, and da Croo

Do you have a digital image of the x-ray that you can post here?

Do you have a digital image of the x-ray that you can post here?

No but I should be able to ask my vet for it. Will see what I can do.

Deb, and da Croo

Guest snakes

Just a quick update on FedX, so since he hurt his leg two weeks ago he gradually starting putting weight on it, so I decided not to do an xray but to go ahead with another pamidronate treatment. He had the treatment yesterday and is doing well. I know it is a matter of time for him, but for now he is hanging on for a while longer :) He still doesn't walk far, but this morning he made it down to visit his favorite little store where the owners give him treat and then cross the road to the doggie bakery where he and UPS get spoiled :)

I hope everyone else's pups are doing well!