Osteo Thread

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hurley was helped to the bridge at 4am our time. His heart was failing. No one else knows yet and I just feel like I can't sleep without letting someone who cares know. He had a really good run and he is always with me.

Godspeed, Hurley. :bighug

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Johanna, I'm sorry you've lost your boy.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Johanna, I am very sorry. Hurley was a beauty and will be missed.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I'm so sorry to hear about Hurley. :grouphug

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Oh, what a painful weekend... I'm just reading all the updates now. Johanna, Kyle, and Deb, my heart and thoughts are with you all. I'm so incredibly sorry for everyone.

Run far and fast and pain free Hurley..........................................

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Oh Johanna, so many tears here. I'm so very sorry :cry1

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Pinky is scheduled for chest X-rays Thursday evening. I didn't even want to wait that long, but my schedule & the vet's schedule weren't meshing until then.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Hurley was helped to the bridge at 4am our time. His heart was failing. No one else knows yet and I just feel like I can't sleep without letting someone who cares know. He had a really good run and he is always with me.

I'm so sorry. :grouphug

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

I'm so sorry Johanna.

What a crap week. Too many losses.

Pam with Sockem the GH, Birdie the JRT, Osorno the chocolate lab, and Shelby the shepherd mix. Missing Clarice (1991-2007) and Lily (2004-2012), always in our hearts.

Zuri came up lame today in a somewhat unexplainable fashion (just playing when I got home from work) and so far the limp, while varying in degree has not gone away. I couldn't isolate any source of pain manipulating his leg. This is the foot he dislocated a toe on a while ago. That's completely healed, but it is possible he tweaked it although the toe was not popped out. Anyway, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't pretty freaked out. I'll give it until tomorrow. If he tweaked his toe there will likely be some visible swelling to confirm. If not, I'll be calling my ortho about x-raying his whole leg.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Oh, no, Johanna - I am so sorry. You deserved more time together.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

I will post a proper remembrance but my sister is visiting (which is so fortunate for me!) and it will take some time because I'd like to enjoy the short time that she is here! Thank you all for your kind words even though this isn't the ideal place for here.

Zuri, be well! Pinky, get through your xray appointment with flying colors!

Hugs to all who have reason to post here!

It hurts so badly to know he has been gone for 24 hours but each milestone makes me remember him more and smile!

Very important 'edited to add': We have some meds that we would love to donate or find a use for: a few tablets of Cerenia, the steroid Prednisolone (very low dose however) and his Heartgard. I noticed you guys shipping them out to each other. I was going to see if my vet would buy back the unopened Heartgard or give that to my group? Just looking for timely info! We never did get the supplements or antineoplastics ordered so I really don't have much.

Edited by GreytHurleyDawg

Bow Wow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yay :)

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background

Guest azlorenz

I'm so sorry for your loss. They are forever in our hearts.....

Good thoughts for Pinky's x-rays! I hope all goes well Kristin.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest kellygreyhound

I'm so sorry that so many of the owners on this thread have lost their loves these past few weeks! Hugs to them all--you did your best and that's all we can ever do!

Just thought I'd add some good-ish news to try and cheer up some of our thread. Looks like Kelly's pressure sore from hell (the one with the staph infection that morphed into some even nastier version requiring Amikacin) is finally healing up. It's been stitched for something like 2 weeks now and kept under well-padded bandages, but today's vet report sounds promising :) More Amikacin coming--which Kelly hates, has anyone had this problem? I finally gave up and have been carting her to the vet daily so the techs can administer it and fluids--but it sounds like maybe the end is in sight for the pressure sore *sigh*

Today was *supposed* to be Kelly's first chemo treatment, but they've decided to hold off another two weeks to make sure this thing finally heals. I'm kinda bummed about that--I want to get to the healing part!--even though her vet didn't find an visible mets on her second set of xrays. There was some mention that they might start her on metronomic chemo in the meantime, but we shall see... Kell will just be happy when she can finally ditch the cast/bandage thing!

6c39efb5.jpg

0efd4d7b.jpg

Edited by kellygreyhound

GT is losing too many great dogs and my heart breaks for each of them. It's really hard to stay positive.

Ben goes for his fourth chemo tomorrow. He's been fine on his 75 mg Rimadyl twice a day. Sunday he refused a meal and this morning he didn't want his breakfast. The oncologist gave us some Reglan 10 mg to keep on hand because he went off his food about two days after his last chemo. She's going to back off a little on how much he gets tomorrow.

Do any of you give the Reglan "just in case" or do you wait until you're sure the tummy is nauseous after chemo?

He's usually a great eater so Sunday and today were a surprise. Other than that he's been fine. We had some cooler weather for yesterday and today and he really wants to run in the morning when it's cool. The oncologist said he could run a ittle but just to be careful when the others are out too. He ran about two laps this morning with increasing speed and I had to stop him. My heart was in my throat and I was holding my breath. He was so proud of himself though and had the best smile. :wub:

Alice (missing 12/7/05), Wonder and Ben

Alice%20Sig.jpgWonder%20Prof%20Sig.JPGBen%20Sig.jpg

And our beloved Bridge Kids... Inky, Maui, Murphy, Ragamuffin, Della and Natalie

Posted by DH on his Google+:

Pre-trip checklist:

Is the camper still intact? CHECK

Can the 3-legged hound get in and out of the camper without help? CHECK

Do the hounds still love the camper beds? CHECK

IMG_20120424_182434.jpg

IMG_20120424_175819.jpg

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

I think a lot of people have done Cerenia prior to the chemo treatment - better to be ahead of it than to try to keep the nausea at bay once it starts. That being said, we didn't end up using anything for Pinky and she never had any nausea, lethargy, or inappetance after her chemo treatments. But, you know Ben the best, if he has been off his feed a little bit anyway, I would give it ahead of time to stay ahead of it. For whatever reason, Pinky has an iron stomach :dunno

Speaking of...princess Pinky has decided that she will take her meals on the couch these past few days - she stands on the couch or loveseat and wants her bowl brought to her - she does not want to stand at her feeder in the entryway. I think the other day I had mopped the floor and let her in to eat before it had completely dried and she's not interested in being on a damp floor :lol Like I told my mom today - after everything that has happened with our dear friends here this week, as long as Pinky is HERE to eat the food, she can eat it wherever she wants to! I don't care if she wants it on a silver platter with a little umbrella in it, she'll get it as long as she's still with me. She must know how upset I have been over these recent losses and how worried I am about her - she slept in my bed with me last night for the first time since the night before her surgery. She prefers her bed in the closet, but she let Carrie have it last night. Before she was diagnosed, she hardly EVER slept in bed with me, but once she started limping and we got the diagnosis, she slept with me until her surgery, and then we were in the living room during her recovery. After that she's always chosen her closet bed :dunno She's a goofy girl and has her habits!

Deanna, I love your DH's post! :wub: What a nice place for an afternoon nap :)

Kellygreyhound - I love how Kelly wraps her right front leg around the bandaged one in her roaches! (is she ever on all 3's? :P ) Believe me, I understand your apprehension about delaying her chemo, but I do think it is best to make sure she is fully healed first, especially considering how difficult this sore has been. I've been very lucky with giving Twiggy her pills, as she is a food monster, and will swallow pretty much anything that has even a trace of "real" food on it. However, currently my favorite for wrapping and feeding pills is 1/3 of a piece of Budig Turkey lunch meat ( :puke ), I know it's awful, but it's only a tiny bit, and it's really easy to use.

---

Zoolady - To head off nausea, Twiggy's oncologist gave a Cerenia injection at the time of the iv chemo treatment (although I don't think they refrigerated it - apparently the drug stings like crazy when injected, and refrigerating it helps lessen the sting); they also always prescribed 4 Cerenia tablets (to be given one each day for 4 days following chemo). The pills are kind of pricey, but totally worth it to keep them eating. They also recommended giving omeprazole twice a day (I just toss it in her kibble, and she eats it right along with everything else). Fingers crossed for no side effects from tomorrow's chemo!

If you've got the Reglan, that's probably good to give as a preventative. I had a kitty who was on Reglan long-term, and it really helped. Otherwise, you might ask Ben's oncologist about omeprazole (or some other OTC med) as a preventative, and keep the stronger meds on hand if that isn't enough.

It makes me happy (and appropriately scared... :unsure ) to hear about Ben's zoomies. It is always a balancing act between fun and safety (I tend to err on the side of fun, I figure, if there's no fun, what's the point?)

---

Deanna - I LOVE your DH's post! (and I KNEW Symbra would be fine with the camper!!) Your trip is coming up pretty soon, isn't it? I hope you all have a fantastic time!

---

Kristin - Isn't it funny how our girls develop these Princess-y habits? Twiggy was always a Lady, but never a Princess. Now she is a walkies Princess, and only wants to walk where SHE wants to walk. Usually, she tells me where that is, but sometimes she makes me guess. And, if she is telling me where she wants to walk, that usually means she wants to walk for hours, and I always end up cutting her desired walk short. Which means half-dragging her back toward home - she always knows which way is toward home, and doesn't want to head that direction yet. I feel awful about this, but seriously, what 7.5-year-old, terminally ill tripod greyhound wants to walk for HOURS??? ('cept my crazy girl?)

Anyway, I got way off-topic there :blink: I hope all goes well for Pinky's x-rays. Is that this week?

---

Twiggy's oncologist might want to try her on a very small (25mg) dose of Palladia or a similar drug (I wasn't aware there were similar drugs). He also seems to feel that using cytoxan without Palladia (or similar) isn't worthwhile. I'm more than a little wary; I promised Twiggy that I wouldn't put her through anything like that again.

For anyone contemplating Palladia - please don't be put off by Twiggy's reaction. She is toward the extreme end of reactions to the drug. Her oncologist is very experienced with this drug, as he participated in the original trials (along with Dr. Couto and others), and he has used it extensively in practice. Twiggy's intolerance is not typical.

---

Lastly, I want to say again how sorry I am for the many untimely losses these past couple weeks. I know that words ring hollow, but I do share your pain. This is the worst I remember since I've been part of this club (and even before). I know that we all make as much as possible out of whatever amount of time we have, but it is never enough.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Wendy-Pinky's X-rays are Thursday night at 6 :)

Guest kellygreyhound

Awww!!! So cute!!!! :rolleyes:

Posted by DH on his Google+:

Pre-trip checklist:

Is the camper still intact? CHECK

Can the 3-legged hound get in and out of the camper without help? CHECK

Do the hounds still love the camper beds? CHECK

IMG_20120424_182434.jpg

IMG_20120424_175819.jpg

Ben's chemo went well today. The oncologist said his physical exam was normal. No lameness, labwork fine and muscle mass is very symmetrical which is excellent. He even gained several pounds since his last visit so he is eating enough to maintain himself which pleased her.

They gave his a Reglan this morning and said to use it or cerenia as needed. We just have the Reglan for now so will go with that. The nurse said a tablet a half hour before meals if we want. Will probably give him that in a day or so as that was when he got icky last time. Maybe sooner if he doesn't eat well tonight.

He was so funny. After our hour's drive, we got out of the car, his tail started wagging and when we went inside it went even faster. It was like a rock star was there with people coming out to see him. Tail never stopped. The nurse said when she took him back to have the blood draw, he leaned on everyone he saw and gave them a tail wag.

When Scott picked him up, the adoption group lady was there and Ben was happy to see her too. He recognized her and gave his best greeting. She was there with someone that had brought in her dog that had a broken leg. :sad1

Alice (missing 12/7/05), Wonder and Ben

Alice%20Sig.jpgWonder%20Prof%20Sig.JPGBen%20Sig.jpg

And our beloved Bridge Kids... Inky, Maui, Murphy, Ragamuffin, Della and Natalie