Osteo Thread

I'm really anxious to hear how things went for Joe today....

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Math does my head in, but I know that all of his doses have been less than than what's recommended for his weight. I think the first two, he was only given 50%, because he was having issues with lameness at the time, and his oncologist didn't want to risk serious side effects on top of all that. The next two I know were given at 95%. So he should have...a little over a dose and a half left? I imagine I'll be speaking to his oncologist soon about his kidney values, so I'll ask him then.

Edited by vjgrey

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Math does my head in, but I know that all of his doses have been less than than what's recommended for his weight. I think the first two, he was only given 50%, because he was having issues with lameness at the time, and his oncologist didn't want to risk serious side effects on top of all that. The next two I know were given at 95%. So he should have...a little over a dose and a half left? I imagine I'll be speaking to his oncologist soon about his kidney values, so I'll ask him then.

Yeah, so something isn't adding up.

BTW - the vet felt the shedding was a delayed reaction to the chemo. She was examining him and it quickly became a cloud of hair swirling in the room. :lol He looked like Pigpen from Charlie Brown! She said to just keep brushing it out and it should stop.

Oh - and she also commented on his peach fuzz at the surgery site. Poor guy still doesn't have it all grown back yet!

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

I'm really anxious to hear how things went for Joe today....

Me too, I've been thinking of them all day

So I'm a bit of a cynic after my experience with Twiggy's first onco office, but they may not be counting on you keeping track of how much should be left, or may be betting that you'd rather not annoy them and risk them taking it out on your dog. (that's probably bad of me to say, but it is how I felt here). I sure hope Gabe's kidney values aren't too off and that he can continue to get all of his treatments!

Twiggy's treatments were usually 3-4 hours. I'm surprised Pinky can be in and out in 20 mins because I thought they were supposed to flush with iv fluids after the carboplatin (maybe I'm mistaken about that, though).

So, I made a small bet today that Twiggy will make it at least another year - I bought a year's worth of artemisinin (Isaid it was a small bet :lol ). I couldn't decide which brand to buy; Holley Pharma is the one OSU uses, but Nutricology is the one that Snakes says has a better effect with FedX, so I split the difference and ordered both! Holley has a deal that if you order 3 60-cap bottles you get a 30% discount, that makes it not too much more expensive than the Nutricology.

I'm looking forward to Twiggy's appointment on Monday with the new oncologist. Hopefully, Twiggy will be good to start on her metronomic protocol!

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

It's the worst news possible for Joe.

He has a lesion of the distal femur of his left leg. They had the x-ray up on the screen when they brought me into the examination room. It was the first thing I saw and I burst out in tears. They didn't have to tell me.

I have been an emotional wreck and just don't know how to proceed. They put a fentanyl patch on Joe to give me a little more time to try to figure out what to do.

I could do radiation which would give him 4 to 8 months (if he were a four legged dog). They could add chemo or pamidronate.

The down side of this is that (once again if he were a 4 legged dog) there is a 17 to 33 percent chance of a pathological fracture. If that were to happen, there is no way I could get him into the car myself. My neighbors would be happy to help, but what if no-one were home. Although I can get home euthansia, there is likely a 24 hour wait (found this out with my Twister, luckily I could schedule her). OSU's incidence of pathological fractures following radiation is about 15 percent. They claim that they are fairly good at looking at an x-ray and predicting the likelihood of a fracture.

Also, if his leg were feeling better he would want to explore my 1 1/2 acre property. Since there is no way I could deal with a break 400 feet away through the woods, I would have to take him out on a leash. He is not used to this. He is used to having the run of the place, but most of the time he prefers to be inside (especially in the winter).

So maybe it is time to let him go. I am just so confused and upset and crying and lost.

I have an appointment for radiation tomorrow, but they said it was no problem if I cancel last minute. They don't have a full schedule. They would also likely be able to get him in on Monday. They say the radiation provides near immediate pain relief, with the most pain relief following the 2nd or 3rd treatment.

I'm sorry this post is so disjointed. I am typing through tears and my brain isn't really working.

Jane

I'm so very sorry, Jane. There are no good or easy choices for us, are there?

I can say that for Gabe, radiation has provided almost immediate pain relief. He's gone from unable to stand without sling assistance to walking without a limp within hours of the treatment. If we hadn't had radiation to fall back on, I think we would've had to let him go within a week or so of diagnosis.

I do REALLY worry about a fracture, though, and specifically the "How on earth would I get him in the car?" worry. I'm married, but my husband works long hours/is away for business a lot. Often, it's just me and the hounds, and I can't lift an 85 pound dog.

Fortunately, the one time it became an issue, my landlord was in the area and able to help.

Edited by vjgrey

Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Jane, I am so sorry, I can only imagine how you feel. Give yourself tonight and the weekend to think about it if you need to; but trust yourself and OSU.

The radiation sounds like a good idea, it should give Joe some comfort and you some space to think about pamidronate and/or further chemo.

You provide so much to us all, I feel inadequate to try to provide support to you, but I am fully behind you, and sending you and Joe all the good thoughts and wishes I can.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Jane, I have no words. I just feel like I've been punched in the chest.

:grouphug

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Jane-- no words. Give it the weekend- you can't possibly make a rational decision right now. I hate it when our instincts become reality. I find myself in the same place- I'll be at OSU myself this Tuesday (thyroid tumor)- if I see you there I'll be sure to give you and Joe a hug and all of my support.

Lurker post here. I just wanted to say that I am so very sorry about the news for Joe. That truly stinks and I am heartbroken for you. Please know that you and Joe remain in my thoughts.

Cindy

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Jane, my heart if broken for you and Joe. He is a very special boy to me as both he and Charlie were diagnosed around the same time and have been fighting the brave fight together. No matter your decision, we will all support you and be there for you. Please give Joe a hug from me.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

So sorry to hear about Joe, like someone else said, take the weekend to think it all over. it will never be an easy decision no matter what you decide unfortunately

Jane, I'm so very sorry about Joe. :(

Valerie, does your vet not do bloodwork before each pamidronate treatment? If so, that's surprising to me because they should be monitoring his kidney values before you proceed with each treatment (and it would give you a better history of values to compare to now). Hoping that it's insignificant and you are able to proceed with treatments, or only need to delay slightly. :goodluck

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Jane, I'm so very sorry about Joe. :(

Valerie, does your vet not do bloodwork before each pamidronate treatment? If so, that's surprising to me because they should be monitoring his kidney values before you proceed with each treatment (and it would give you a better history of values to compare to now). Hoping that it's insignificant and you are able to proceed with treatments, or only need to delay slightly. :goodluck

He does CBCs but apparently not chemistry panels?

They collected a urine sample first thing this morning and are doing in-house testing, so I'm waiting nervously to hear the results.

Edited by vjgrey

Jane, I'm so sorry. That sounds so inadequate, but we'll be thinking of you and Joe all weekend!

If Joe is comfortable now and not in pain, take this time to make your decision. Give yourself some space and perspective. IMO, the radiation seems to be a good way to go if it can give Joe enough relief. Go to Home Depot and get a roll of snow fencing and make him a smaller space to explore and go potty outside, close to the house and easier access. Make sure you have your cell phone with you at all times outside, just in case.

So many good thoughts and prayers are coming your way! :grouphug

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

When I woke up this morning, I decided to keep the appointment for radiation. So Joe has had his first radiation treatment.

He still has not had any interest in eating since yesterday morning but he is pretty doped up.

We are going to lie down and get some more sleep.

Jane

edited to add: thanks Chris for the idea about snow fencing. I am just not thinking clearly -- I was wondering how I could possibly rig up some more of the wire fencing but I physically can't lift a roll of wire fencing. If I could get some posts into the ground, I could use about 50 feet of the snow fencing to fence out the back yard. Or maybe get a little more and string it from tree to tree.

edited again to add: Dr. Couto gave me a syringe of Buprenex. I told him how worried I was that Joe would break his leg, be screaming in pain, and I wouldn't be able to get him in the car because he would be in so much pain. So, I think mainly to calm me, he gave me a syringe that I could inject in the event that Joe does break his leg.

Edited by joejoesmom

Jane- fwiw- I think you made a sound decision. Joe's a fighter and he needs the opportunity to fight. Reading and re-reading your last post it sounds like your a fighter too-you just needed to catch your breath.

Edited to add-- Dr Couto is truly a saint.

Edited by tbhounds

Jane, tons of good thoughts for you and Joe. :grouphug

Gabe's radiology office just called with good news for us - "nothing to worry about," in his urinalysis. She said she'll defer to his oncologist on whether it's a good idea to continue pamindronate (or to continue on the same schedule), but they see no signs of kidney failure, no UTI, not even dehydration.

BIG exhale.

Gabe really seems worn out today, though. I'm not sure whether it's chemo #4 catching up with him, the radiation/anesthesia, the three vet appointments in three days, or maybe a combination.

We plan to spend a lot of couch time together this weekend.

Jane, I also think you made the right decision. Joe will continue to battle as long as he can and I know you will do everything for him. Wish I was closer as I would come round and put the fencing for you.

Valerie, yeah round 4-5 tends to take it out them. Charlie was a very tired after his 4 and 5 rounds but it didn't take him too long to recover.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Valerie, glad the test results came back good. CBCs are complete blood chemistries, I'm guessing he just does a basic panel that gives you the liver/kidney values, which is fine. I was worried they hadn't been doing any blood work, which would be unusual.

:hope that the radiation gives Joe the relief he needs.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Kyle,

Thank you for reminding me that I am not all alone in this. You made me realize that I could call a good friend and ask her husband to help. I am so out of it that the statement "not thinking clearly" is nowhere near strong enough. Anyway, Ron is going to come over Sunday to string snow fencing from the corner of my house to the side fence. This will effectively cut off about 1 1/4 acres, leaving just a 1/4 acre area.

Thank you all for your suggestions and support. I appreciate it so much.

Joe is still dopey. He has that fentanyl patch on to cut the pain for 3 days. He is still favoring the leg. It hurts me to see that he isn't himself.

Jane

CBCs are complete blood chemistries, I'm guessing he just does a basic panel that gives you the liver/kidney values

CBC is just the cell evaluation -- counting and evaluating reds; the different types of whites; platelets; hemoglobin and hematocrit (or packed cell volume). It won't include the kidney and liver stuff. Pre-chemo treatments, they're usually most concerned about having enough of the right type of white cells to fight infection.

Sending prayers for Joe.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.