Osteo Thread

That is GREAT news! Fingers crossed that his numbers are good :goodluck

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's good for chemo! :confetti Radiation treatment is scheduled for tomorrow. He's only "toe touching" a little when he stands still, but we want to keep on top of the pain. In the past, he's gone from toe touching to limp to lame in less than 24 hours.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Good news for Gabe!

So the shedding continues... Berk's tail is getting bald, and one of his thighs is starting to have that 'bald butt' look to it.

Tomorrow is our 6-month lung x-rays and I'll ask about it then. Other than the total shedding blow out, he's doing really good. Fingers crossed for clean x-rays. :hope

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

I am very worried about Joe.

Saturday was his 18 month ampiversary and I noted that he was walking a bit "off balance". It has continued to get worse and it is clear that his left rear leg is the culprit. He doesn't want to put weight on it.

He does have corns on all his paws but they have never caused this kind of pain. Also the one corn on his left rear paw is towards the edge of the pad, not the main weight bearing portion. My gut tells me that it is not the corns.

He was also identified with mild lumbar stenosis before his amputation. My gut is telling me that this has gotten worse and that this is the cause of his pain and awkwardness. If this is the problem, there are treatments available: medications, acupuncture, chiropractic, massage, and a depo-medrol shot (if it isn't contra-indicated by the bone cancer).

However, I can't stop thinking that bone cancer has developed in that leg. I am scared.

I spoke with Dr. Couto this morning and he is squeezing me into the schedule tomorrow. He tried to set my mind at rest by saying that it is very likely something treatable.

I will let you know more later. We will probably be at OSU all day.

Jane

Good thoughts for Joe, Jane :goodluck I know a clean X-ray will put you at ease and then you can work on finding the source and treating it. Hoping it's something that a little acupuncture can help :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Ben ahd his first dose of chemo today. His initial blood work was perfect so they were able to give the carboplatin. They said he was an ideal patient. :) The game plan is to give the pamidronate next Wednesday, have a week off and then do round two of the chemo.

I was such a baby dropping him off. The hour's drive was stressful and I missed one turn but didn't go too far out of the way.

He wasn't allowed to have any collars on so the i.d. collar that he's worn for so long even had to go along with the martingale. It just got to me he was naked and walking away to start the beginning of his fight. Hoping he will be okay at ten years old. They kept telling me we're doing the right thing. I guess they're used to people crying. :blush

I remembered what the vet said that if it was her, would she be willing to go through chemo if it could possibly extend her life. Looking at it from the perspective really helped.

We are to continue the Rimadyl and Sentinel. No more raw feeding as his immunity may drop. He's used to kibble in the mornings so will either get that at dinner or we will cook his food without the bones or maybe cook a crock pot full for a few days.

He is sleeping now and comfortable.

Alice (missing 12/7/05), Wonder and Ben

Alice%20Sig.jpgWonder%20Prof%20Sig.JPGBen%20Sig.jpg

And our beloved Bridge Kids... Inky, Maui, Murphy, Ragamuffin, Della and Natalie

Ben :wub:

I cried the first time I dropped Sutra off for his pamidronate infusion and they had me take all of his collars with him. It just seemed wrong and I never thought I'd be taking his collar with me without him until he passed away. It was really hard.

When Pinky had her amp I wore her tag collar around my bicep all day...then that night I kept it under my pillow where I could touch it. The next day after my shower it went right back on my arm until it went back over her head when I picked her up.

When I take her for chemo, I just sit in the waiting room while she has it, so they don't have me keep any of her stuff. They might take it off in back, but when she comes back to me, she's fully clothed ;)

Glad that Ben is resting well. We still haven't seen any nausea after Pinky's treatments.

Jane, I am crossing fingers for clear x-rays tomorrow and something that can be easily medicated. Sending kisses to Joe!

I'm glad that Gabe was able to get his chemo, and that Ben is now on his treatment path!

Twiggy is similar to Berkley - losing more fur. Mostly, though just on her thigh (only the leg they always used to administer her chemo, I wonder if it is a local reaction?)

The oncologist never asked me to take Twiggy's collar with me. Twiggy always kept her collar on (and even necklace sometimes) while she was at her treatments.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Jane, sending lots of good thoughts for you and Joe tomorrow. :hope

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

So interesting how different each facility is. I have never taken FedX's collar off and I leave while they do the pamidronate infusion. I am sure each facility has good reasons for what they do, as long as the pups get good treatment we will do what they ask :)

Chemo and pamindronate are both all-day procedures for Gabe, and I've never had to take his collar. That would make me cry, too!

Tons of good thoughts and "clear x-ray" wishes for Joe today.

Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Gabe's radiologist did a chemistry panel today, and his kidney values were elevated. :( We're hoping this is just a little dehydration or a UTI and NOT the start of kidney failure.

We'll have a urine sample tested tomorrow at his regular vet and see how things go from there. The radiologist mentioned that this may mean the end of pamindronate treatments. :( :( :(

The question is, HOW elevated were they?

Sutra's crept up a little bit after pamidronate...they did get to a point where Dr. Thomsen (who is a little bit conservative IMO) wasn't comfortable with doing it anymore.

How come Gabe's chemo is an all day thing? Pinky's takes about 20 minutes and we're out of there.

:yay Berkeley!

Now just waiting to hear from Jane about Joe...

The question is, HOW elevated were they?

Sutra's crept up a little bit after pamidronate...they did get to a point where Dr. Thomsen (who is a little bit conservative IMO) wasn't comfortable with doing it anymore.

How come Gabe's chemo is an all day thing? Pinky's takes about 20 minutes and we're out of there.

:yay Berkeley!

Now just waiting to hear from Jane about Joe...

She just said they were "slightly" elevated. That's in comparison to early November, which was when they last did a full chemistry panel on him (about a week after diagnosis). So I'm not sure whether "slight," elevation is to be expected? I guess we'll know more after the urinalysis tomorrow.

I don't know why his chemo treatments take all day. I drop him off around 8:30-8:45, they do a CBC and let me know immediately whether he's okay for treatment or not, and then they call around 3pm to say he's ready to come home. I wasn't aware it COULD be a 20 minute thing!

From what I understood when Sutra was getting pamidronate, slight elevation is to be expected. You just don't want to tax the kidneys too much...so sometimes we would wait longer between treatments and/or give him more fluids along with the pamidronate (once we did an entire liter of fluids). His pamidronate treatments usually took a few hours so I dropped him off for those. The time he got a whole liter he was there most of the day and MAN did he have to pee a lot! :lol

When Pinky goes for her chemo, we come in, we weigh her...they take her in the back and draw some blood and bring her back out to me. We hang out for a bit (their waiting room has nice wooden benches with cushy seat covers, so Pinky can lay up there next to me. Once her bloodwork is done, as long as everything is good, they'll come and get her from me again and take her in the back. Within 20-30 minutes she's done and ready to go home :) The last time we went I also had a consult with Dr. T for Ace regarding 5FU, so in the time that I was chatting with Dr. T about that, Pinky was finished and came back to join us. That's when she was leaning on him and giving him the lovey eyes :wub:

It's interesting to learn how different clinics do things in such different ways!

Oh! Before it slips my mind again - Does anyone know how much carboplatin is generally used per treatment? Am I right in thinking one vial per treatment?

I ask because when I picked Gabe up yesterday, the tech told me they were almost out of OSU's carboplatin and that I would need to have more sent or pay for his next treatment. I asked how many they received (because I know they'd sent some partial shipments, due to the shortage), and she said they'd gotten four vials.

He's only had four chemo treatments so far, and OSU's carboplatin didn't arrive until the second treatment. Am I right in thinking they should still have one left?

A few days before FedX's pamidronate treatments I have my regular vet check his kidneys, it is just slightly cheaper, but if any values are elevated it saves us a very early 1hr drive to the oncology office. His values also come back very slightly lower that way too, one of the oncologists said this was likely due to the fact that my vet sends their blood out to a facility that has more sensitive equipment as opposed to the 'quick' tests the oncology group has.

The dosage depends on the dog's weight. OSU asked me for Pinky's weight, and they sent 4 doses based on that. They sent 2 at first, and Dr. Marin asked me to email her when we used the second one so they could send the other two.

If your vet used some from their personal inventory for Gabe's first treatment, one of the two doses that OSU originally sent would have gone to replenish your vet's inventory.

Treatments are all day process here too.

I wish good news for Gabe's kidneys and for Joe.

I feel better knowing I'm not the only one that would cry when the collars come off. Hopefully I will do better next week and be braver for Ben.

Alice (missing 12/7/05), Wonder and Ben

Alice%20Sig.jpgWonder%20Prof%20Sig.JPGBen%20Sig.jpg

And our beloved Bridge Kids... Inky, Maui, Murphy, Ragamuffin, Della and Natalie

If your vet used some from their personal inventory for Gabe's first treatment, one of the two doses that OSU originally sent would have gone to replenish your vet's inventory.

But I paid for the carboplatin for that first treatment myself. So if they received four doses from OSU (as per the vet tech) they should still have one left, no? Assuming a dose = a vial. She just said they received "four vials."

To me, a vial means a dose. If you paid for the first one and then they received 4 from OSU, then yes, you should still have one "vial" or "dose" left from OSU to be used at his next treatment. Then you'd need to pay for his 6th treatment. Maybe there was a misunderstanding there and they thought that they just spotted you the first dose instead of you having paid for it?

I know I've mentioned this before but in Berkeley's case the 4 vials were 6 treatments. We lowered his dosing based on side effects...

Perhaps the clinic is using a higher dose than what OSU measured out?

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.