Osteo Thread

:wub: Berkeley! :wub: The first time he barked at the door I thought he was barking at his reflection! :lol It's great to see him having such a good time. :)

I'm hoping we'll sail through these next few chemo treatments...after what Twiggy went through after her last chemo with them not giving her fluids, I wonder if something more is t going on. It's odd though since bloodwork and UA were normal. I wonder if it is something neurological or physical. When Ace had that growth on her belly, she didn't want to jump up onto anything. I don't think that it hurt, but it felt funny enough that she found the feeling unpleasant. I wonder if something like that is causing Twiggy to decide that playing isn't what she wants to do...know what I mean?

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am very sorry to read of Fine Point's passing. She was very beautiful.

Jane, I am happy that Joe is doing well! Very happy indeed.

Wendy, I concur with Jane on perhaps a vet visit is in order for Twiggy. I hope it's nothing but I'm the type that wants to know what if anything is going on.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Pinky and I did our group's "stroll" this afternoon. We meandered around for about an hour, and stood around chatting for a while as well. She was just fine, no signs of being tired. It's a beautiful sunny day, the temps are just around 35 but it felt much warmer with the sunshine. She wore a pretty coat and was comfortable :) We had fun!

Lots of comments were made about how well she is doing and how some can't believe she can get around so well. I was telling them about Berk's video and what a wild man he is! :lol

I also really think it's important that she gets to participate in normal activities. I prefer to adopt the attitude that she is LIVING with cancer, not dying because of it.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Sounds like you and Pinky had fun today! It was pretty cold, though - with all the warm weather we've had this winter it's too bad the warmth didn't show up today.

I do worry a bit about some vague "something" else that might be going on with Twiggy (don't we all have continuing nagging worries?). But, since Twiggy was her perfectly normal crazy girl self up to and including the night before her last iv chemo, I'm hoping it is still related to that. I also think her cytoxan dose might be too high. She is getting 12 mg, and I know a much larger male who is only getting 10. She has a lot of new variables with starting all of these new meds in the last week, and I definitely think upset stomach and nausea is a good part of all this. She gets omeprazole every evening, but I may add in some Pepto caps in the mornings too to see if that helps.

Twiggy will be getting her 6-month x-rays a week from tomorrow, so we'll get to see if there is anything to worry about there. Her 3-month x-rays were clear. I'll ask if her oncologist thinks we should do anything in addition to the chest x-rays and bloodwork.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Could something be making her dizzy? I could see easy dizziness or nausea making her stop mid-play like that. No idea really, just a thought. I hope you can get it sorted out.

Jane, why not start the camera recording when Joe isn't paying attention and just leave it sitting somewhere recording (on a table or something), then call him in and start playing with him. You might find a good spot and just leave the camera sitting there all of the time so it's just part of the background. I think you will really cherish having that video later.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Hello all. I'm all for super-secret-handshake clubs, but I never hoped to be part of this one! Although, I suppose I have been for months now. We lost Moe Moe, our cattle dog, to osteo last month, but it came on and overcame him so quickly, I didn't have time for things like posting and learning and information. So, lucky me, Gia decided we still needed to learn. She was diagnosed this afternoon with osteo at the top of the femur, in the shoulder joint. She's our first dog, the best grey ambassador there ever was. She's only 9, and she requires attention the way some of us require oxygen. Because I'm what you'd call 'an obsessively morbid worrier,' I'd already conveniently considered our 'osteo options' well before it ever became a realistic concern. That means I knew long ago that Gia would be, mentally and emotionally, at least, an optimal candidate for amputation. Luckily, her physical results agree, so that's the option we're going to pursue. We meet with our oncologist tomorrow. I don't know him personally, but he comes highly recommended by both my vet and by people whom I trust, so I feel very comfortable. Unless he tells me things I don't want to hear, of course. Then he's a godless heathen. I really just want to move quickly. We noticed an on-and-off limp just a few weeks ago. It became a constant limp a few days ago, and it was diagnosed today. She said the bone didn't look too far gone, so I'm hoping we caught it quickly and can remove the offensive tissue before there's too much micro-mestastatizing. Because of extenuating life circumstances, everything's going to be excessively miserable while we figure this out, but I'm hopeful we can power through all of the *cowpile* and come out unscalded on the other side.

I'm sorry, I've started rambling, but I spent last night having one nightmare after another about being trapped in a tornado, and now that's what my brain feels like. How prescient of me.

I'm sorry you have joined the 'club' but welcome anyways. I hope all goes well with the Oncologist tomorrow. Catching it quickly is a good thing and we will keep you and Gia in our thoughts. If you have questions please ask as I know it's can be overwhelming doing research on your own and that path has already been walked many times before.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Guest suzanne

I found the SLIGHTEST of swellings on my dog's left hind leg, low done just above the paw (ankle if you will). He lure coursed on Sunday and came off the field a little stiff. The swelling appeared last night but he is putting weight on it and not crying (he is a v dramatic dog). Because of losing Freya to osteo it's made me very paranoid at the slightest thing now :(

I found the SLIGHTEST of swellings on my dog's left hind leg, low done just above the paw (ankle if you will). He lure coursed on Sunday and came off the field a little stiff. The swelling appeared last night but he is putting weight on it and not crying (he is a v dramatic dog). Because of losing Freya to osteo it's made me very paranoid at the slightest thing now :( I brought our foster to the vet thinking osteo on Friday as well because she was slightly stiff (she's just 10 and straight out of a bad situation), thankfully I was wrong.

I'm sorry you've had to join the club, and a couple of times now (I'm a 2 time member as well). There's never a good time for osteo, but, it never seems to happen at a good time either. Wishing you the best, hope your oncology appointment goes well!

Colleen, we never really want to welcome anyone to this club either, but hopefully we can provide some support in some way as you go through this. It sounds like you're taking all the right steps - Gia is lucky to have you as her advocate.

Suzanne, if she was coursing before the swelling appeared, I really wouldn't worry too much about the chance of osteo. I'd rest it, you could even ice it if she'll tolerate it, and perhaps add in some anti-inflammatories if you have any on hand or can get them from your vet (Rimadyl, Deramaxx, etc.). If the swelling doesn't improve or worsens despite treatment, then I would get her in for an x-ray.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

So we had the dr. appointment, and it didn’t really go as planned…. We figured we’d just be there setting up the amputation as soon as possible, but while we were doing the physical, we noticed a lump in gia’s throat, too. So now we’re biopsy-ing that as well as the leg, to see what’s going on. The three options are that the throat lump is A)nothing, a weird coincidence of dead cells, in which case we’d move forward with the surgery as planned, B)a cancer that’s RELATED to the leg tumor, which might be a good thing b/c it could mean that the leg tumor ISN’T osteosarcoma, but rather a metastasization of whatever kind of cancer is in her throat, and therefore easier to treat. We’d still do the amp in that case, but there could be a higher chance it wouldn’t come back in a year, or C) a completely different kind of cancer, in which case we’d probably NOT do the surgery then and just move on to palliative care, b/c when you’re facing TWO cancers, you’re basically effed.

So now we're back to waiting and seeing. They'll probably get the results of the biopsy back on Monday, so we're thinking surgery on Wednesday if that's the route we take.

Colleen, I'm sorry. Waiting sucks. :( I'll be hoping for choice B. :goodluck

More good thoughts Colleen. I really hope B as well.

The waiting is just terrible! Hope they get you some answers soon :goodluck

Chemo #4 for Pinky scheduled for tomorrow morning! :)

Pinky is woofing in her sleep :wub::lol

Pinky is woofing in her sleep :wub::lol

:wub: I love sleep woofs.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

No chemo for Pinky this morning <_< Neutrophil count was just 1600. We'll try again next week.

The biopsy for Symbra came back a little earlier than expected, and as expected, the results were osteosarcoma. The surgeon said he would fax the biopsy report to my vet clinic (where I work) this evening and I'll get the consultation request sent over to Ohio State tomorrow when I get a few moments.

Otherwise, she is eating much better, getting around just fine, and just climbed up onto the couch with me a few minutes ago and is now soundly snoozing on the other end of the couch.

The only step in our house is about a four inch drop off from the back door into the yard, where the dog door is. She had been hesitating going through the door on the way back in, and Brian told me that she basically whacks her remaining rear paw on the doorstep as she goes inside, so I just finished making a little "landing" three foot square in order to even out the height on both sides of the door, and we'll see if that helps.

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

Even though everything pointed to osteo in Berkeley's case, and everyone who read the x-rays said the same thing, it still stung when the biopsy came back. I don't know why, it should have been no surprise, but it still hit me hard.

Hugs to you and Symbra.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Gia's biopsy results came back today... The throat lump is benign! We go ahead with the amp on Wed., and now I'm officially terrified! I feel terrible for her right now... The combo of meds she's on has sent her into an anxious dysphoria, and she's a nervous mess. My doctor recommended cutting back on Tramadol as long as she doesn't seem to be in too much pain.

Edited by giadog

The thinking now is less tramadol but more frequently. Helps with the anxiousness.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Tramadol can bring with it a host of all kinds of anxiety crud...

So glad to hear it's benign! :yay Will be thinking of you all on Wednesday :)

I, too, am very glad to hear that the throat lump came back as benign.

Not that it's any great joy to "just" be dealing with osteo, but at least now your plan of action is in place. I know that for me, that was helpful.

I'll throw in my odd little bit of advice before her surgery - give her a bath. I know, sounds weird, but Twiggy had a terrible infection under her bandage that landed her back in the hospital for 5 days. It is quite possible that the organism was on her body before she ever went in for surgery. I was so wrapped up in making sure that her recovery environment was clean, and I forgot that she might not be.

Hopefully, you can adjust the timing, dosage, or mix of pain meds to keep her comfortable but less anxious for these next days before surgery.

Kristin, I'm sorry Pinky's chemo had to be postponed. I know she'll be good to go next week, though.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties