Meet Joe!

Hi,

I've been obsessively lurking for about a year, but hadn't joined since I use free e-mail. Saw a post yesterday suggesting someone else send a support ticket to the Mods asking to be signed up, and decided it was time for Joe and I to come out of the shadows.

Hubby (then-fiance) and I went to NGAP about a year ago, "just to look". We'd been talking about a dog for about 2 years, and figured we'd get one in a few months. I also wasn't totally sold on Greys -- I had a Dobie as a teenager and was trying to convince Rob we should get one. We met lots of sweet dogs at the kennel, including a pair of slightly older girls that were real dolls, but we just weren't quite ready to take the plunge.

Then, one of the volunteers said, "Would you walk this one, he's my baby?" Can't say no to a line like that, right? She walked us to the very end of the row, where this GIANT black and white dog was bouncing up and down like he was on springs. When she let him out, he leapt straight at me, jumped up on his hind legs, and kissed me on the nose. SOLD!

While we walked him around, Rob kept saying things like, "But he's so big!", and "Man, he pulls a lot!" But of all the dogs we'd met, Joe was the only one who was more interested in us than in peeing on every blade of grass. So we filled out an application, and I "stole" his picture from their website to use as wallpaper on my computer. I would have been devastated if we hadn't gotten to bring him home.

This past year has been wonderful, and GT has been a big help in making it that way. You folks taught me how to teach him not to pull on the leash, have helped me work toward making him safer around small fuzzies, and let me know that his resource guarding was MY fault for taking his stuff away before he trusted me to give it back (or give him something better). Thank you all so much!

Rachael

[d0f382e5.jpg

welcome to GT...Joe is very handsome...I'll bet you're sold on greys now. :colgate

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Thanks for the welcomes! Joe is thrilled that Summer's Mom called him handsome; she's such a lovely girl.

@o_rooley: Yup, totally spoiled by this dog. He's just so easy to live with!

The eventual plan is to have him certified as a therapy dog, then start a READ program at the library where DH and I work. Joe loves kids and would really like all that attention. (And I want to take my dog to work with me! ;) ) He'd be able to pass most of the CGC test, but "stay" is a problem. He can't seem to wrap his mind around a trick that involves doing nothing. Funny, you'd think that would be easy for a dog who sleeps 27 hours a day!

Ohhh, did somebody just ask for more pictures? I can do that!

Mastered Roaching 101 on his first day home.

e1fc3331.jpg

Mother! Put the camera away and take me for a walk! I know I look good in my new coat, and I want to show the neighbors.

82b2fc61.jpg

Falling asleep inside hide-a-squirrel on Christmas morning.

4861ffaa.jpg

Doesn't he have great ears?

d01cf400.jpg

Welcome Rachael and Joe!!! He is a beauty!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

OMG, your Joe is spectacular! Gorgeous!

Taunya and her Supreme Grace, Anna - Sharsanna (Kiowa Sweet Trey x Camden Coming), Surge (no races), Kelsos Yorktown (Trent Lee x Kelsos Spotswood), Galgo Espanol - Valentin. Forever waitin' on Red (Kiowa Mon Manny x Bella Ionic).

Welcome! Joe looks like quite a character. His sweet face reminds me of a friend's hound, also a black and white Flying Penske baby.

I've read recently that Flying Penske's kids are usually very sweet, people oriented hounds, and Joe is certainly that! DH and I walk him separately (and there's a dog-walker some days), and it's not unusual for either of us to hear a total stranger holler, "Hey, wait! I wanna say hi to Joe." It really freaked me out the first few times, but I've gotten used to it. In a neighborhood full of Pitties and Chi's, Joe is very much a standout!

Joe is simply gorgeous. Welcome out of lurk mode! ;)

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

What a stunning boy! I've been admiring your signature on posts in other forums.

It may help to have a 2nd person hold Joe's leash while you're training him to stay?

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

What a stunning boy! I've been admiring your signature on posts in other forums.

It may help to have a 2nd person hold Joe's leash while you're training him to stay?

Why thank you! I think I've gone a little nuts now that I can post . . .

So I'd put him in a sit/down stay, someone else would hold/step on leash, I'd call dog, other person would release dog, I'd treat and throw a party? That sounds so sensible I'm ashamed of myself! I've been doing the "throw treats at dog while dog is in bed" thing, but as soon as I move he follows me and starts offering behaviors that have earned treats other times. Like, whack Mommy with paw (over and over)! He's almost excessively food motivated, and really enjoys training sessions. And the "WHUMP!" when I ask for a "down" is quite impressive!

I think we'll be doing a Sunday class at Petsmart this winter, just to get him out of the house and keep him stimulated.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest ArtysPeople

Hi Rachael,

I only just now saw this post and I tried to send you a message, but it says you're not able to use that system -- I guess maybe you need more posts first?

Anyhow, I think you may have met my husband a month or so ago when he was out walking our two greys near Columbus park here in Trenton. We're fairly new to the area and we'd love to get together with other greyhound people for walks, play dates or just hanging out. If you get to the point where you can send messages, drop me a line and I'll give you our contact info.

Best,

Christie

Hi Rachael,

I only just now saw this post and I tried to send you a message, but it says you're not able to use that system -- I guess maybe you need more posts first?

Anyhow, I think you may have met my husband a month or so ago when he was out walking our two greys near Columbus park here in Trenton. We're fairly new to the area and we'd love to get together with other greyhound people for walks, play dates or just hanging out. If you get to the point where you can send messages, drop me a line and I'll give you our contact info.

Best,

Christie

YES! YES! YES! I'm your husband's crazy stalker! Call or text me (609) 234-8416. Your babies are beautiful! I think I worried your DH, but I would have spazzed if some loon came running after me, all "blah, blah, blah, greyhound, here's my number". This city is wacky!

Welcome from Michigan!

How exciting that Joe is in training for therapy dog work. We love doing the children's reading programs at the area libraries with Rainy - our program here is called "Dog Tales". We hope to get our new guy (we adopted over Memorial Day weekend) - Cap't Gus - also TDI certified in Oct. There is so much fun and such a rewarding feeling beiing able to share the gentle nature and love of your grey with others!

We are so glad to "meet" you and look forward to hearing all about Joe's future adventures.

Welcome to the cult club! :lol

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge