Did Deramaxx Kill My Dog?

Guest candt

I'll never really know why True suddenly passed away yesterday as I opted not to do an autopsy.

What we do know is that she had air in her abdominal cavity, and that fluid and bacteria leaked into her blood and probably went to her brain causing neurological problems.

The vet said it could have been cancer or ulcers. He was concerned that she was on Deramaxx for 5 days in May/June and had another dose a couple weeks ago and 1 more last week for a problem with her shoulder.

He said It was rare but it can happen that Deramaxx causes ulcers.

On her way to abdominal surgery, she went into cardiac arrest. And now she is gone.

After hours of crying and just a couple hours of sleep, Ive got insomnia and started looking online about Deramaxx and ulcers. There are stories about dogs getting sick and dying after even one dose!

I will say, looking back, True was much less interested in her dry food for the past couple of months. I really had to mix delicious treats into her food for her to eat it. I thought she was just sick of eating the same food for years (tho she continued to like flavor packed treats)...but maybe she developed the start of an ulcer back in June...She used to be a dog that would gulp down a bowl of food in under a minute.

Like I said, I will never really know but I just wanted to share this story with you all.

That is just so sad. Any of these NSAIDs including Deramaxx, Rimadyl, Metacam, Meloxicam can and regrettably often do cause internal bleeding. I can tell you from my own human experience that it is the luck of the draw where an ulcer 'burns' thru the stomach lining because I once lost over half my blood in less than a day when a duodenal ulcer hit an artery. 7 pints of transfusions I needed before it stopped and I so narrowly avoided drastic surgery!

With the in initial dose of Metacam, for instance, being listed as double the maintenance dose it's like playing Russian Roulette for some of our dogs. Maybe vets should only start it along with Sucralfate?

If it was a cancerous lesion that suddenly ruptured out of its 'capsule' then the results could have been even more catastrophic. That's proaably what caused the very sudden sepsis.

I think you just have to try to put these sad outcomes to bad luck, if it was a cancerous lesion then if it was one of the most agressive types, little could have been done in any case.

I am very sorry to read of your loss.

f_yellow

Given your description, it honestly doesn't sound anything like a Deramaxx reaction or perforated ulcer. It sounds a lot more like a cancer such as hemangiosarcoma or histiocytosis with multiple lesions affecting the digestive system and spinal cord.

If you cruise the internet, you can find similar stories for almost any drug, supplement, food, or treat on the market.

Please don't torture yourself. You took good care of your girl. I'm so sorry that you don't have better answers, and that she couldn't stay longer with you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I am so sorry for your loss. Deramaxx and other NSAIDS are good drugs under the right circumstances. There are millions of dogs that will probably receive a dose this morning and will be able to go about doing their doggie thing because their pain is tolerable. In the end, I think the important thing is that you were doing your best for True and would never have knowingly given her something that could harm her. Godspeed, True.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest KennelMom

Given your description, it honestly doesn't sound anything like a Deramaxx reaction or perforated ulcer. It sounds a lot more like a cancer such as hemangiosarcoma or histiocytosis with multiple lesions affecting the digestive system and spinal cord.

If you cruise the internet, you can find similar stories for almost any drug, supplement, food, or treat on the market.

Please don't torture yourself. You took good care of your girl. I'm so sorry that you don't have better answers, and that she couldn't stay longer with you.

I agree with Batmom

:grouphug

Agree.

I am so, so sorry for your loss.

Remember the good times and don't beat yourself up over this.

You did nothing to cause his death. Nothing.

I have an 18 yr old horse with gastric ulcers. He has had them since he was quite young and he has never ever had a NSAID in his life.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

True led the best life.... 13 is a good age for any dog. She went quickly and spared you the pain of making that ultimate decision that most of us have to. Deramaxx hopefully made those last couple of hours easier on her. I know for you saying goodbye to True was like saying goodbye to such a big part of your life. She was an amazing dog and she had the best life with you. Stop second guessing and just remember all she was to you.... all the good things she brought to your life. :):heart

CollageSnap

<p>Finn, Wink, Birdie, Snap and SmokeyJG Quicknfast 7/25/99-5/16/08, JG Quickwink 7/25/99-9/22/13, Iruska SweetDuv 7/19/03-11/9/16, Delbar 6/11/11 and Catahoula Smokey

Guest PiagetsMom

True led the best life.... 13 is a good age for any dog.

I know it's never long enough, but for me, this would be what I would have to believe and hang on to. :grouphug

Edited by PiagetsMom

I am so sorry for your loss. Please don't torture yourself about this outcome. We lost our beautiful fawn Lucy in 2003 to similar symptoms. Our vet (knowing that I would second guess myself and think I had done something wrong) took a sample of her stomach tissue for biopsy. Lucy had intestinal cancer and there would have been no hope of saving her. She lasted for a few days and in that time she was terribly ill. Had I known she had cancer, I would have spared her the pain & suffering.

Lucy was happy, playful and running in the yard during the day. During the middle of the night she was in extreme pain. Try to comfort yourself in knowing that True was spared those hours of pain & suffering.

Concentrate of the beautiful moments you had with your special girl. It's always hard to say goodbye but she had a wonderful life and was so well loved.

Edited by Fiona3

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

I could say so much but it won't change anything. Sending my sympathy.

Anytime a dog is on a NSAID and their appetite changes, the drug should be removed.

thank you so much everyone. your replies really do help.

i suppose it doesnt matter how she left us, we just have to grieve for her being gone.

and burpdog, she wasnt continually getting deramaxx, she only took it 5 times in june, once in july and once in august.

but batmom and others are right, it was probably something like extensive cancer and so i do feel very lucky that she was so lively and spritely up til the very end.

I'm going to have to disagree with those who say this doesn't sound like the results of an ulcer. The following is from an article on Peptic Ulcers:

Perforation

Sometimes an ulcer eats a hole in the wall of the stomach or duodenum. Bacteria and partially digested food can spill through the opening into the sterile abdominal cavity (peritoneum). A perforated ulcer can cause peritonitis, an inflammation of the abdominal cavity and wall. The symptoms of a perforated ulcer include sudden, sharp, severe pain. (This could be the reason for the sudden arching of her back and loss of bladder control) Immediate hospitalization and surgery is usually required.

Narrowing and obstruction

Ulcers located at the end of the stomach where the duodenum is attached may cause swelling and scarring. These ulcers can narrow or close the intestinal opening, and can prevent food from leaving the stomach and entering the small intestine. As a result, a person may vomit the contents of the stomach.

I will say though that these are probably not common occurences with ulcers so if this was the cause of True's passing please do not beat yourself up over it. I'm so sorry this happened but I'm glad your bringing up the possibility that her death could have been the result of NSAID as a warning or caution to others.

NSAIDS can be of great benefit to many dogs, but they come with serious risks. When giving a dog NSAIDS people need to listen to the signs their dog gives them re problems that it's use may be causing and not all those people who chime in saying their dog had no problem while on said NSAID. I really wish vets would inform people more on the potential risks and what signs of trouble to look for when dispensing them. If that had been the case maybe you would have questioned why she was off her food and not chalked it up to her being picky.

ETA: I just want to add that even though Nadir has NSAID induced IBD as a result of long term use of NSAIDS I would use them short term for acute severe pain, but with something like Sucralfate to coat and protect his stomach. What I'm trying to say is that your short term use was reasonable considering her problems.

Edited by 4My2Greys

I agree with Batmom

For what it's worth, and when you're grieving it's worth nothing, but I agree with them. As others have posted, use of NSAIDS in pets and people can cause catastrophic GI bleeding but it's USUALLY (extra emphasis on that usually) consecutive usage and/or long term usage. A few random doses sporadically don't generally do it. Everyone is different, but it sounds unlikely to me as well.

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

I agree with Batmom

Totally agree!

I am so sorry sad.gif

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Oh, I'm so sorry! But you have to know that living until 13 is a feat for most any dog. I honestly don't think five days of Deramaxx could cause ulcers.

My dog takes it daily, and the truth is, I know the potential risks. The benefits, for him, outweigh them. My last dog took Rimadyl for years. He would not have survived until 13 if he hadn't, his arthritis was too severe.

Run free, True.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

C, what happened to True was awful and you did absolutely nothing to bring it on. Nothing. She lived to a great age, an age when things start to fail. Please don't beat yourself up for things that were absolutely out of your control.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest greymama002

We suffered a sudden unexplained loss of our precious Tina six months ago, so I truly understand your devastation.

My heart goes out to you, but please never blame or second guess anything you did out of the deepest love for your precious one. She would never want you to do that. It is worse when they leave us with unanswered questions, but her death was a tragedy; nothing you could have done differently could've prevented it. Please honor the beautiful life she had with you.

I'm so sorry--I remember meeting you and True and she was a special girl. Personally, I doubt it was the Deramaxx, but either way you were a good mom and trying to control her pain, that's what we're supposed to do.

Godspeed True.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.