Maddisons At The Vets

Guest Samantha

Guest Samantha

To cut a long story short, Maddison has had a cough on and off since she came to me 18 months ago, I wasnt happy with the vets diagnoses of scaring or lung worms as the medication she gave us didn't help at all. So today Maddison is going to be put under anaesthetic and have some x-rays taken!. Im a nervous wreck, Im so worried.

Please have some prayers and good thoughts for my little girl xxx

Guest Samantha

**UPDATE**

Maddison's home, very very sleepy and feeling very sorry for herself!.

Im pleased I pushed for these x-rays as it turns out Maddison has heart disease & bronchitis!, I am really really annoyed this has not been picked up after 9 vet visits in a year. We have medication for her bronchitis and will be back at the vets in 2 weeks time for follow up, and another round of x-rays and scans in 4 weeks. Im pleased they have found out what is wrong, but I am so worried about my girl :(.

She is currently sleeping with a sever case of ETS!

Thank you all for your prayers and good thoughts xxx

I'm glad you got an accurate diagnosis and that she is being treated. Hope you both feel better :)

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Thank goodness for a dx, but after 9 visits in a year, I would be looking for another Vet. Sending hugs of comfort and healing white light!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest Samantha

Oh yes, there was some words exchanged as I left the vets today!!.

Maddison seems to be getting over the anaesthetic, in the last hour she has got up, been out and went potty, had alittle to drink and 1 chicken breast and a small chew. Think I will leave it at that until tomorrow morning, she still doesnt seem to have control of her tongue! :lol:

Thank you again for you kind words and thoughts. GT'ers really are the best x

"been out and went potty, had alittle to drink and 1 chicken breast and a small chew" - ALL GOOD THINGS! Keep up the good work!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Sending gentle scritchies and best thoughts for your girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Glad your hound seems to be recovering from her busy day. I only question why they would sedate for chest rads especially when they were checking for cardiac disease? I would also question the lung disease-- is it cardiac related?

I might suggest an echocardiogram be performed to cement the diagnoses.

I hope Maddison feels better soon.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Glad your hound seems to be recovering from her busy day. I only question why they would sedate for chest rads especially when they were checking for cardiac disease? I would also question the lung disease-- is it cardiac related?

I might suggest an echocardiogram be performed to cement the diagnoses.

Ditto...

"Heart disease" is a very generic diagnosis - did they see an enlarged heart? Does your vet know that greyhounds have larger hearts than other breeds?

Bronchitis is an inflammatory condition of the lungs and usually treated with antihistamines, steroids and/or bronchodilators. Furosemide (Lasix) is a diuretic used to remove fluid build-up due to heart disease. Furosemide would not be used to treat bronchitis.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest Samantha

They said her heart seemed enlarged but when they did a ultrasound of the heart, that her heart was working absolutely fine. I will ask on Monday if they know about greyhounds having a larger heart, I just assumed they would know that. They also said that she had fluid in her lungs, so would the frusemide be perscribed to remove that fluid?.

Edited by Samantha

They said her heart seemed enlarged but when they did a ultrasound of the heart, that her heart was working absolutely fine. I will ask on Monday if they know about greyhounds having a larger heart, I just assumed they would know that. They also said that she had fluid in her lungs, so would the frusemide be perscribed to remove that fluid?.

Yes. It's generic Lasix, a diruetic to flush excess fluid from the lungs/body so the heart doesn't have to work as hard to circulate the blood. It's a common drug for high blood pressure and congestive heart failure. And now I'll go read the rest of the posts put up since last night.

And now that I've read, Lasix is not for bronchitis as someone else mentioned. I hope they're not mistaking inflammation/infection in the lungs (pneumonia) for just excess fluid....

Edited by LuvAPuppy

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana