Ranger

Guest Figmama

Guest Figmama

Well, more bad news today. Our 12 year old Grey, Ranger, was diagnosed with lymphoma. I noticed a lump in his neck the other day and called my Vet right away. He has not been thrifty, went through all the blood work, x-rays and an abdominal ultrasound a couple of months ago. We did find out he has proteinuria and have been treating him for that. My Vet did blood work yesterday and an aspiration biopsy on the lump. Got the results today and his blood work was pretty normal but the biopsy showed High Grade Cell Type Lymphoma. I've had numerous animals over the years and dealt with a number of issues but never Lymphoma. The lab statics showed, without treatment, a survival time of 30-50 days. I had spoken to my Vet yesterday about the worst case scenario *just in case*. He said the lab would probably recommend a tissue biopsy, staging, chemo, etc. Aside from the expense, he said his life expectancy would probably not improve by much and the dogs are often sick through these treatments and then to him and me, it gets to be a quality of life issue.

However, being *me*, I am doing some research and seeing who has had experience with this on the Grey boards. I'm thankful for the information that has been shared. I read something about T-cell and B-cell mentioned but didn't have that information so have a call into my Vet to see if they can give me that information. I did discuss with them what to expect and how the disease would/might progress.

Does anyone know if Dr. Couto does consults/research on lymphomas? Has anyone contacted him about this and, if so, was there a treatment plan anyone tried and what were your experiences.

My Vet knows I am beating myself up because I do try to keep a close eye on my animals. I had been keeping a close eye on him due to the proteinuria issues with his meds, diet, etc. He had lost weight in a relatively short amount of time.

At this point, he is still active (well, for him, he has never been a very active dog), eats most of the time and enjoys his twice a day walks.

Any suggestions and any stories of experiences with the progression of this disease would be greatly appreciated.

All I have to say is Damn It!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drat drat drat. I'm sorry for the bad news. No advice, just lots of good wishes and hugs (for you) and scritchies for your boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest boondog

I'm very sorry to hear about Ranger's diagnosis. Unfortunately, I know first hand that Dr. Couto consults on lymphoma cases.

Lymphoma is one of the easiest cancer to place into remission. Many hounds may life years after treatment and sail through the chemo protocol so, I'm not sure what/why your vet was taking about.

Even if you do not choose to do an aggressive chemo protocol many dogs will have a positive response to oral chemo such as prednisone/ leukeran.

I urge you to please contact Dr Couto or one of his team members. You'll get the the best advise available. Keep your chin up-- I know you feel like you got punched in the stomach but, there is a treatment plan out there for your boy-- fingers crossed things will go well for you. Keep us posted about your Ranger ( love his name!)

Guest Figmama

Thanks so much. I was kind of blind-sided. Truthfully, when he lost weight a few months ago and I took him, I really expected to hear he had bone cancer.

I feel horrible but the Vet assured me that even I had all that testing done before, these things can come up out of nowhere and quickly. I'm surprised his blood work from yesterday was pretty normal but she said she was not.

Boondog, can you please tell me how you contacted Dr. Couto and what protocol he recommended?

Thanks so much.

We lost our Comet, age 13+, to lymphoma. He died within 3 weeks of presenting the lumps on his neck. :(

Cherish your time together. I wish I'd taken more pictures of Comet and then it was too late.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Many prayers.....

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

It's actually good that his blood work looks normal- means it most likely it isn't in his bone marrow.

I don't have the link I front of me but, if you google greyhound health and wellness-- Ohio state the website should pop up. Contact them via the consultation form. You should get a response within 72 hours-- but, please remember that they are very busy folks there and respond when they can-- perhaps title your request as an asap.

Guest Figmama

I found the site and filled out the form but they want you to pay a membership fee of $61.57?

I have to pay for a membership to ask a few questions?

I'm not seeing another option on the site to e-mail Dr. Couto

Guest boondog

I live in Columbus, so I just go to OSU when I need to. I believe the email is greyosu@osu.edu.

There was nothing we could do for Crystal. She had a very unusual presentation and it was too aggressive.

I found the site and filled out the form but they want you to pay a membership fee of $61.57?

Can you find the consultation form?? If not e-mail them via the addy that boondog wrote. Consultations are free.

Guest Figmama

Can you find the consultation form?? If not e-mail them via the addy that boondog wrote. Consultations are free.

There was a form to fill out on the site, which I did, but then that page went to the membership fee page.

I live in Columbus, so I just go to OSU when I need to. I believe the email is greyosu@osu.edu.

There was nothing we could do for Crystal. She had a very unusual presentation and it was too aggressive.

Oh, sorry about Crystal. I thought maybe you had tried some treatment protocol that had helped or worked.

My Cosmo Comet lived 28 months from when I first noticed that her nodes were enlarged. She was 14.5 when she left us, and cancer free, as far as I know. We had lots of ups and downs, in and out of remission. As best as I can tell, it was the way I was dosing her with prednisone, which caused iatrogenic Cushings that took her in the end. She also probably had Degenerative Myelopathy too.

So, survival time depends on lots of factors--type and stage of lymphoma, finances, whether you can endure putting your dog through repeated chemo. If your vet takes a conservative approach to chemo--planning to control rather than cure the disease--the chemo side effects should be kept to a minimum (though there will probably be some appetite problems).

Dr. Couto has done research on lymphoma. I would definitely contact his group about getting chemo from them.

Good luck. There is the Circle of Grey Yahoo group that will have helpful info, and I believe that there is another general lymphoma dog group on Yahoo or somewhere.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Very sorry you've received this news. A few years ago when researching my senior hounds chronically elevated & rising lymphocyte levels I discovered that the cell type can be very indicative of survival rates. Don't know what it is for lymphoma but chronic lymphocytic leukemiat bares some similarities. For CLL, the T-cell type seems to have greater survival rates. CD8+ T-cell has the highest. I was not willing to subject this hound at that time to a bone marrow biopsy. Through searching I found that there are a few places that will do immunophenotyping through a blood sample using flow cytometry. OSU is one but at that time Dr. Couto said the lab only accepted samples from patients of their clinic. Colorado State however will process samples sent from outside sources. My vet pulled the sample, sent it off & we had the info in what seemed like a reasonable length of time. However, I think it may not have felt reasonable if my dog was facing a lymphoma diagnosis instead of a more likely chronic lymphocytic leukemia. As you research bear in mind that the cell types, treatment success & survival times for humans are not the same for dogs. Trying to remember but am thinking survival time for B & T cell types might be reversed between human & dogs. (Though could be misremembering.) Dr Anne Avery at CSU did a good deal of research relating to canine lymphocytosis & various cell types. She was quite helpful. Her contact info is HERE.

I'm sorry. Wish I had more to offer.

Guest Figmama

Very sorry you've received this news. A few years ago when researching my senior hounds chronically elevated & rising lymphocyte levels I discovered that the cell type can be very indicative of survival rates. Don't know what it is for lymphoma but chronic lymphocytic leukemiat bares some similarities. For CLL, the T-cell type seems to have greater survival rates. CD8+ T-cell has the highest. I was not willing to subject this hound at that time to a bone marrow biopsy. Through searching I found that there are a few places that will do immunophenotyping through a blood sample using flow cytometry. OSU is one but at that time Dr. Couto said the lab only accepted samples from patients of their clinic. Colorado State however will process samples sent from outside sources. My vet pulled the sample, sent it off & we had the info in what seemed like a reasonable length of time. However, I think it may not have felt reasonable if my dog was facing a lymphoma diagnosis instead of a more likely chronic lymphocytic leukemia. As you research bear in mind that the cell types, treatment success & survival times for humans are not the same for dogs. Trying to remember but am thinking survival time for B & T cell types might be reversed between human & dogs. (Though could be misremembering.) Dr Anne Avery at CSU did a good deal of research relating to canine lymphocytosis & various cell types. She was quite helpful. Her contact info is HERE.

I'm sorry. Wish I had more to offer.

Thank you for this information. Anything helps. Unfortunately, we have a big family reunion this weekend so my time is very limited for the next few days and I just feel this need for urgency.

Guest vahoundlover

No advice to offer but wanted to extend my good thoughts and prayers that you will have a lot more time with Ranger

Just an FYI on the OSU website, I believe there is now a consult fee and that may be what the $61 is for. I know it used to be free to e-mail Dr. Coutu himself but likely they were getting overwhelmed plus they do operate on a budget so ever 'donation' helps them greatly. I am sorry to read of Ranger's diagnosis and agree on an aggressive approach can give your pup a lot more time with you.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I don't think there is a consult fee for OSU. Yet. At last weeks conference, Dr. Couto said they may implement one in the future. A this point, it's still a suggestion. You can call them directly or email & they will get back to you without your having to register or donate.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

I am so sorry for your bad news.

Sending lots of hugs to you and Ranger.

:grouphug

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Guest Figmama

I did a google search for Dr. Couto and sent an e-mail to the address on the site. This is the reply I just received.

The Ohio State University Greyhound Health and Wellness Program (OSUGHWP),

has a new and improved website that offers membership opportunities for

veterinarians and Greyhound/sighthound owners, adopters, trainers, and other

individuals interested in these breeds.

Starting January 15th 2011, the GHWP will provide online consultation

service ONLY through the email consultations form available online at

https://greyhound.osu.edu/consultationservice/

Frequently asked questions:

In order to help us serve you better, please visit the frequently asked

questions https://greyhound.osu.edu/resources/faq/ BEFORE sending an

inquiry.

If you are a veterinarian and need to talk to us: