Chase Has A Bad Uti

Guest LindsaySF

Guest LindsaySF

I got some not so great news back from the vet about Chase. :( She has a UTI with a resistant strain of bacteria and needs to be hospitalized to treat it.

First, a little background. Chase was surrendered to WAG in January, she only weighed 39 lbs. (First thread here: Chase Needs Prayers) After lots of TLC and a dental removing most of her teeth, she's up to 51 lbs and acting pretty spry for her age (she'll be 14 on May 22). (Video posted in this thread: Foster Dogs Update) The bad news is her bloodwork has showed early kidney failure, so she's on a prescription kidney diet.

Urinalysis results after her dental kept showing bacteria in the urine, so we did 2 rounds of Clavamox. She still had bacteria in her urine, so the vet sent it off for a culture and antibiotic sensitivity testing. They found Pseudomonas bacteria, and the only antibiotic that would work was Amikacin. Amikacin is an injectable antibiotic, needs to be given daily for 10 days. The bad news is it can be nephrotoxic (damage the kidneys), so Chase will need to be hospitalized on IV fluids during treatment.

I'm pretty much freaking out about leaving her there. :( She hates the vet, she stresses easily, and she won't eat so they will have to syringe-feed her. I don't want her to lose all the weight I've worked so hard to put on her, and I am afraid the Amikacin might send her into full-blown kidney failure. On the other hand, we need to treat this infection before it spreads to her kidneys, so we really have no choice. For all I know her kidney failure could be a result of this bacteria already invading the kidneys.

Does anyone have experience with Pseudomonas infection in dogs? Or with Amikacin treatment in a dog with early kidney failure?

~Lindsay~

No experience, but best wishes for little Chase. kiss1.gifgetwell.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

I wish I could give you a hug. I know exactly what you are going through. My Aggie developed kidney disease when she was 12 and frankly it was pretty easily managed. When she was 14 she too developed the same kind of UTI Chase has and the same Amikacin was said to be the only effective treatment. This of course was after many courses of other antibiotics and baytril etc. If I remember correctly I found out that it is neurotoxic, ototoxic, AND nephrotoxic. The drug info said that contributing factors for these side effects were age, impaired kidney function, etc.!!! In other words Aggie had like 3 out of 4 of the conditons that made it more likely that it would make her deaf, throw her into instant kidney failure or seriously affect her nervous system!!! In her case the vet visit to discuss her treatment plan turned out to be her last as some other serious things were going on and she crossed over at 14 1/2 years total. I do remember though that the vet told me that the drug was OK and she didn't anticpate there would have been any problems with it! So I share that with you to try and help you feel better. You really don't have a choice?... if it gets in the kidneys than that probably would killl her for sure? Every dog is unique. A good animal communicatior can be invaluable at times like this as sometimes the dogs themselves know more of what is going on than we do and can help us make sense out of the situation. And oh how I identify with the weight thing. I struggled so to try and keep Aggie from wasting away(other issues) and she kept losing weight oh it seemed like she lost it as I was looking at her and God how I tried to get the calories in her so hard. It is interesting to me that both Aggie and Chase were up there in years and had the same diagnosis and treatment recommendation. I wonder if when they get so old maybe their immune system might get weak or something and allow this evil germ to suddenly proliferate and cause the infection. The Bible says the soul of every living thing is in the hand of God. All I know we can do is pray for sweet Chase and place her in the loving hand of the Good Shepherd who also loves her. I will be praying for your dear old lady. Please let us know how shes doing.

No experience - but hugs to you Lindsay. You have worked so hard to help this lovely lady. Many prayers coming for sweet Chase.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

Guest FullMetalFrank

It sounds like you really don't have a choice... I am sending my prayers for an easy time for poor little Chase, hoping the antibiotic does its job without causing any unwanted effects.

Sending all the best wishes I can muster for this sweet girl.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

No experience. :( Sending prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm sorry - pseudomonas can be real tough to treat in a UTI. My Lucy had it and luckily (knock wood) it was sensitive to a regular antibiotic so she didn't have to go into the hospital.

Decades ago when I worked at a vet we had a dog that developed a UTI with two different bacteria and this was one of them and it was a case where it was impossible to treat both bacteria at the same time and when one bacteria was treated the other "ran rampart" .. just couldn't get ahead of it - the dog ended up having to be put down.

Prayers for the best possible outcome in this situation ...

Lindsay, is it worth asking the vet if she could go in during the day for her treatments, and come home to you in the evening with some subq fluids?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I was going to suggest the same thing. If part of Chase' fluids could be suQ, you could do that at home. Or is there any chance they could put in a catheter so you could do IV push at home. It might have to be replaced every couple of days, but it might be easier for Chase to go in for that and come back home. You know her best.

Mt heart goes out to Chase and to you. I have followed her story and am totally in love with her. I've tried to figure out if there some way she could come here for the rest of her days, but I always wind up thinking that wouldn't be fair to her - I think she's where she belongs already.

Anyway, my prayers, white light, crossed appendages and everything else is with you. Please give Chase a very gentle hug from me and mine.

Guest greytbookert

oh crap, Lindsay! I don't have experience with that type of infection or med but I do hope that Chase will get through this!

Guest eaglflyt

Lindsay, I'm so sorry for the situation you and Chase are in. Like Batmom, I'd ask the vet for some flexibility in her care. Explain her sensitive nature and stress at the vet, that she will eat at home and that you would bring her back in an instant if you have any concerns. They could leave the IV catheter in place and simply cap it off and cover it with vet wrap while she's at home. And, they will need to change the IV catheter site periodically anyway (to prevent infection at the site), so that shouldn't be an issue.

I'll be keeping you both in my prayers.

I'm not a vet but I'm guessing thte fluids would need to be IV to help keep the kidney's flushed & not working so hard when she gets the Amikacin. Not sure if SQ fluids would do the same thing. Keeping my fingers crossed for a full recovery.

Guest LindsaySF

Sorry for the delay in replying. I haven't been on the computer.

I talked to the vet about my concerns, and she shares them (especially Chase not eating), but she really needs an IV to protect her kidneys during treatment. Another complicating factor is that I live almost an hour from the vet, so even if I did the IV at home, I would have to truck Chase back and forth every day for the Amikacin injections. It was a tough decision, but I decided to give her staying at the vet a try. She went in on Wednesday at noon.

The first update I got from the vet Thursday morning was good. She assigned some techs to sit with her and baby her, to make sure she'd do okay. She didn't seem to be freaking out about being there and she didn't try to rip out her IV. She won't eat on her own of course, but she took the syringe-feeding well. When they took her for a walk outside she was very happy and was trotting and tried to run up the hill.

I visited her yesterday afternoon. She looked okay, but she was panting, so I'm worried that she was stressed. (She's deaf, so she doesn't hear all the commotion, but she sees the people wandering around). She was happy on our walk, a little pep in her step, and sniffed all over. I didn't want to put her back in her cage. :( I got her to eat some deli ham. Another WAG volunteer stopped by to visit her last night, and she got her to eat some pizza. :)

I'm still really worried about her. I only saw her for a few minutes, but in the time I saw her she wouldn't lay down, and she wanted out of there. I did not stay long because I thought I might be working her up, and I wanted her to rest. Maybe they aren't bringing her outside to potty enough? Maybe she sees too much commotion, and needs a more isolated corner? She had a bunch of blankets and a full bowl of food, but it's not "home". I don't know at what point I panic. If she was younger I wouldn't worry so much, but she's a senior. Should I insist on doing the IV at home? Should I see how she is on another visit? I don't know what to do, it's a catch 22 with no perfect answer.

~Lindsay~

If they can keep her weight up, seems like that is the best place for her.

If she'd eat a steak, I'd buy her one every day, Lindsay. You let us know if we far-away folks can be of any help, OK?

If she'd eat a steak, I'd buy her one every day, Lindsay. You let us know if we far-away folks can be of any help, OK?

Ditto....just let us know if we can help from afar!!!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Lindsay, each day she is there, she will get more comfortable. The first day or so would have been the worst. And since it looks like she's doing well, I think she would just improve. And I'm talking about her being not home, not about her treatment.

I'll still keep the little old lady in my thoughts.