What Are Your Favorite Hound Dental Care Products?

Toby just had a dental a couple of days ago. I am really going to try to do a better job with his dental care between dentals. Right now while his teeth are nice and white again, and he has no fishbreath, I'd like to start off fresh and keep them that way. What dental products do you like to use on your hounds? All I've used is petco doggie toothpaste and a soft toothbrush. Also, how often do you brush your hounds' teeth?

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

I brush Beth's teeth daily -- or alternate brushing one night with PetzLife spray the next. When I have time I do them both in a day, at different times (I'm a little fanatical about her teeth). I'd say Petzlife is my favorite product -- I really do see it make a difference.

On TV I saw an ad for a spray called Plaque Attack that sounds quite similar, but I don't have any experience with it.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

I use to use C.E.T.. For about a year I have used VetzLife.

I brush daily . I think VetzLife is better Inspite of daily brushings since I got Sabrina 6 years ago she recently had 11 teeth pulled.

gallery_19924_3574_6591.jpg

Caroline, Mom to Daphne (49B-50215) and Penny (41D-55779)
Remembering Bridge Angels Margo and Sabrina

I'd have to give my vote to DentaTreat. While I don't brush Tank's teeth everyday he does get it on his food twice a day. He's been with us for 3 years and his teeth look great!!! I do get in his mouth and pick off the tarter, the DentaTreat really loosens it up. Love the stuff.

Guest kydie

I spray with Petzlife 2 days then brush on the 3rd day,, I used to brush daily,, but found the brushing and petzlife work much better,, I use a sonic toothbrush,, and give dehydrated tripe as treats,, my grey had one dental when he came,, and never had another,, my chow has had 1 dental in her life,, that was in July when she broke a tooth on bully stix,, I felt as long has she was under she might as well have dental,, she is 12 1/2 years old the GSP is 8 and never has a dental,, the llwellyn is 4 and also never has a dental,, all have beautiful teeth

I brush everyone's teeth with CET toothpaste after breakfast every day. A couple of months ago or so I also started putting a new, very natural product called Healthy Mouth in their water. (If you try this, introduce it very dilute, then increase the concentration til you get to the recommended level). I used to use Dentatreat daily but now, because of the Healthy Mouth, use it only a few times a week, usually on their dinner if I've given them extra treats in the afternoon.

I'd really encourage you to check out Healthy Mouth. You have to get it from your vet and it's pricey, but IMO well worth it based on the results I am seeing so far.

Guest FullMetalFrank

Petzlife spray. It really does work! I just bought an 8 oz. refill on Amazon for 39.99; enough to fill one of the individual spray bottles 4 times. I don't want to run out again!

Edited by FullMetalFrank

I just ran the Petz Life gel and spray by Spencer's internist today. The gel just might upset his delicate, IBD digestive situation because it has salmon oil, and he reacts badly to salmon. However, she pointed out that the spray not only doesn't have salmon, it *does* have peppermint and ginger, both of which she says are excellent for his GI tract! So if any of you have dogs similar to Spencer, you may get a two-fer benefit by using the spray! :)

ETA: Reading the label, I don't see that it has ginger, just peppermint. So I guess vet was saying to find a way to give him ginger too.

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

A cheap tooth scaler and a hound taught to behave while I scale his teeth is certainly high on the list... but number one would be a turkey neck once a week. In my experience that eliminates the need to do anything else, including dentals, for the life of most dogs. I use the scaler on new dogs who come to me with crap on their teeth. My "test" dog (who has been with me since 8 weeks of age) is pushing 14 years and has never had a dental and his teeth are completely clean and beautiful.

If neither of those is doable, I do hear very good things about the PETZ life. I bought a big bottle of it and have never even opened it. I save it just in case.

Guest d0ggiem0mma

I have been having very good results with Plaque-Off, and so has another greyhound friend of mine. Her hound does not tolerate the PetzLife so she tried this and is really impressed.

It's a sea weed powder you sprinkle on their food. It's only a tiny amount and none of my dogs seem to mind it. Here's the MANUFACTURER'S WEBSITE

A local specialty pet store carries it in stock, but I know the big stores like PetSmart don't have it. You can order it online from a lot of places.

Bones!

George had a dental when I first adopted him four years ago. He did not do well with the anesthesia. He has not had one since, and his teeth, while horrible stained and chipped in the front (nothing can be done about that) are absolutely SPOTLESS in the back.

I just got lucky and have a Greyhound with good teeth!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Bones!

George had a dental when I first adopted him four years ago. He did not do well with the anesthesia. He has not had one since, and his teeth, while horrible stained and chipped in the front (nothing can be done about that) are absolutely SPOTLESS in the back.

I just got lucky and have a Greyhound with good teeth!

I know, it seems like it's DNA roulette when it comes to greyhound teeth. Robin has good teeth. Had a dental when we adopted him a couple of years ago and his teeth still look good. No dental on the horizon for him.

Toby has the oh-so-common icky greyhound teeth. He has a sensitive stomach so he can't have bones. I wish! That would seem to be an easy solution. Will probably end up going with something topical combined with more brushing.

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

petzlife alternating w/ peroxide and water, 2-3xs a week. i use an old head from my electric toothbrush, just the right size and nice and soft and scale w/ my thumb nail as needed. after scaleing that's when i take a paper towel dipped in peroxide and water and rinse the area. hounds tooth, who regularly visits the area is an advocate of the peroxide/h20, she suggest a wash cloth to wipe the teeth down.

Brushing with most anything, if the dog can't have bones or won't use them well (some gobble no matter what you give them *sigh*) and to get the teeth that bones don't affect (canines and front teeth). If the dog won't tolerate a toothbrush, try wrapping a nubby washcloth around your finger and using that instead.

One of my dogs is happy to have scaling done while awake, so we do that, too.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

• 2 months later...
Guest greytkidsmom

We started using plaque off about a month ago now and are actually starting to see a difference.

Kebo has always had horrible teeth (dentals every 6 months). Because of his recent surgery it just hasn't been possible to brush them. He was on pulsed antibiotics but the vet stopped them when he was diagnosed. Anyway, now that he is missing the upper third of his mandible it is harder to brush him because I can't grab his nose like I used to. We started the plaque off and his gums have gone from red and inflamed to more of a pink color. It is early yet but if it actually keeps working it will be a great thing.

Petzlife peppermint spray here. Dog with IBD cannot have the gel because it makes him very sick on his stomach. Neither one can have bones or bully sticks as they also make for a sick stomach. But, Petzlife really works and I bought an 8oz. bottle on Amazon.com for $39.99