Rainey -- Lg's Rainey

RaineysMom

Rainey – 10/4/2000 – 3/8/2011

Rainey…RaineyGirl…Rainey Rainey Bo Baney…Stinkerbelle…Princess…the most beautiful girl in the world.

Rather than rehash her sickness we want to celebrate her life….and what one little girl did for two heartbroken people.

Rainey came to us in May of 2005, our FIRST greyhound. She had been a bounce at 4 ½ years old. We had lost our Remy in January, and our Chester in early May…our hearts were so broken….our little Captain (15 lb Schipperke) was the last of our 3 “boys” and was (unknown to us at this time) dying from a brain tumor. I had wanted to adopt a greyhound since 1985 but never had the right home environment. After the sad loss of 2 of our boys, we were finally able to, so we got online and found that GPA-WI had a great website with adoptable pictures and a great forum where we could ask questions. We filled out the adoption app and hoped for the best. We had hoped for a little girl this time, but we were open to whatever the group thought was best. Our only need was for a small dog friendly houndie.

When we first saw Rainey’s picture on the adoptable page, we knew in a split-second she was the one for us. What a beautiful girl she was! And cat friendly! Someone had posted after we inquired about her on the forum how SOFT she was. OK? We thought all dogs were soft. We didn’t realize HOW soft she was…Miss Bunny Fur Girl. We didn’t care that she was almost 5 – she was the ONE. Our app was approved and we spoke to Terri and she said we could meet her -- we drove to Emerald Kennels, to meet her and see how she did with Captain.

The introduction went well, and we told Terri that we would love to adopt her and asked what the next step is. We thought for sure we couldn’t have her, or others were going to look at her too and they’d get her…and she said “I’ll bring her out to you next Saturday". We were ecstatic!!…we couldn’t believe she was going to be our little girl!!!

She came out the next weekend, and our friends Tom and Mary came over the next day for a BBQ said they couldn’t believe it, it was like she’d been here the whole time, and she was so laid back and relaxed. We couldn’t believe we had waited SO long to have one of these magnificent dogs finally in our lives.

A few months had gone by and I kept pressing Bruce to get another houndie and in October, he finally agreed – so we again looked on the adoptable page and saw Nubers, and same thing – knew immediately he was the one. He joined Rainey and our family just before Thanksgiving in 2005. Rainey and Nubers became fast friends and she absolutely adored him, and he adored her.

Rainey was a good girl, at least for the most part. She had her moments, usually every few months, where she’d decided it was time to destroy something in the house. We could list a good 25 things she chewed/destroyed in the 5 short years she was here…that was just Rainey, our little Stinkerbelle. It was like she was telling us “well, I can’t ALWAYS be your good girl!!!”

She charmed EVERYONE that met her...they loved her personality, her bunny soft fur...her sweet kissies, and nuzzling. My aunt’s partner came over for a family function – and Kathi is not really a “dog person” at all. Later in the evening I found her lying on the floor next to Rainey in her dog bed, petting and kissing her. This is just the effect she had on people.

And how could we forget the time she brought in a live “stuffie” – a rabbit. She carried it into the house and dropped it and the race was on. Mr. Bunny made it out alive.

I know Rainey loved me – I’m the “Food Lady” – but she was 100% Daddy’s Little Girl. She LIVED for her Daddy – and he lived for her. I don’t think a person could love a dog as much as he did. Rainey was a happy girl that literally PRANCED when she walked but she was the most happy when she was with her daddy. Rainey was at her daddy’s side every waking moment he was home and always was the center of his attention. No matter where Rainey was (on the floor, bed, her snuggle ball) she would always cross her legs, tilt her head and give a wink to melt her daddy’s heart. Rainey was truly her daddy’s heart dog.

Rainey was the Queen of Snuggling – she would lay next to me and nuzzle her head under my chin…she figured out very quickly that she didn’t have to expend ALL that energy roaching to get a belly rub, she would just lay on her side and put her top leg over me so that I could fully access her belly – thus the “Lazy Belly Rub”. She also learned quickly that when mom sat on the toidy, she could “present” for the butsy scratch – she’d come in and push her butt into my legs so I could scratch her fuzzy butt (and also get Vertical Belly Rubs too). I haven’t gone to the bathroom in 5 years by myself -- until yesterday.

The void she leaves here is a LARGE one. It is much too quiet now – it’s deafening. Our house will never be the same. She was the reason I made my weekly soups to raise money for the greyhound groups… she would lay on the rug in front of the stove and I’d talk to her, ask her thoughts on adding a certain ingredient, explain the technique I was using… because of Rainey we found a new purpose, to help other greyhounds, either by volunteering, doing GUR’s, or raising money for them.

Little girl, I’m so sorry we could not fix you. We know you know we tried. Your mommy misses you. Your daddy misses you. Your Nubers misses you. You will always hold a HUGE place in our hearts. You will always be our Rainey Girl.

Please run seizure free and happy again at the bridge. I hope you can find a moment in your playing to send us a sign that you are ok.

We love you and miss you, sweet Baby Girl. You have changed us, changed our lives, and given us a reason to help others. We LOVE you and always will.

Love to you sweet girl,

your Mommy and Daddy and Nuber Dubers

Our live will NEVER be the same without you, baby girl.

first day with Daddy :)

IM000245.jpg

first day with mom :)

5b686ae5.jpg

happy Birfday!

PA040183.jpg

reluctant Cubs fan...

IM000333.jpg

knew when it was ok to not be a "lady" :)

P1100309.jpg

snuggling with her DADDY

P1220311.jpg

Champion Roacher :)P6030239.jpg

mom's cooking buddy

PB240841.jpg

snuggling with her Nubers

P4110954a.jpg

Daddy's Little Girl

jewel003.jpg

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest IHeartDogs

I am so sorry, what a beautiful remembrance, reading it brought me to tears. Rainey sounds so amazing... Run free sweet girl.

:grouphug

I am in shock and I cry with you. God Speed Rainey girl, you will be missed.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I followed Rainey's battle hoping and praying every day that something would be able to help her. I know how hard you fought for your sweet baby. Run free Rainey.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Kim, that is a beautiful tribute to Rainey. I am so sorry for your loss. Your sweet girl is now free of the seizures & pain that caused her illness. She always knew how much she was loved and cherished. May all the memories of the happy years with Rainey bring you and your husband comfort.

flowers_pink.gifflowers_pink.gifflowers_pink.gif

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Kim, you and Bruce were the best people ever for her.

I feel so lucky that I got to meet her, and so sad for you that she had to leave.

Godspeed, softest, prettiest, Rainey girl.

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Kim & Bruce,

We are so blessed to have had the chance to fall in Love with little Ms. Rainey. She was a special little girl. I know it doesn't help the pain but, I know that she isn't by herself at the bridge. I know that her "boyfriend" Cobra was there to meet her and will take care of her until you get there to take over.

Run Free Sweet baby girl. :bighug:cry1:bighug

048.jpg

waiting at the bridge Connie Van Teddy & Jojo, Cobra

What a perfect tribute for your Rainy-girl. I am so very sorry that she had to leave. The love between everyone in your family is so evident.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

:grouphug Beautiful tribute to your baby girl. I am terribly sorry for your loss.

Godspeed sweet Rainey :gh_run

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Kim and Bruce,

I am so very sorry.

:grouphug:f_pink:grouphug

Donna

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

I am so sorry for your loss. Rainey has always held a place in my heart because, when I adopted my first grey Arlie in 2006, a red and white girl, you posted to the Introductions thread that she reminded you of Rainey. And although Arlie is a very big girl, she also has thick soft bunny fur.

My heart breaks for yours. :f_white

You and Bruce tried so hard to save her, Kim, and I'm so sorry it had to be her time. She was a wonderful girly, and it's clear how much you adored one another. Just want to say especially that our Spencer came to us at about the same time in the same way. That is, I knew the minute I saw his picture that he was "the one," but I didn't dare request him because I was sure some experienced adopter in the group would snap him up and that the group wouldn't consider us worthy of so fine a boy. We are deeply sorry for your loss but rejoice in the wonderful life you had together.

:grouphug:f_pink:grouphug

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).