Daisy Is Bleeding From The Mouth

It started Sunday - with just a few drops of blood showing up on a blanket. Not that unusal here with all the icy snow around, the gang often comes in with little cuts on their legs. But then I noticed blood on the side of 12 year old Daisy's face. On Monday morning, there was blood on her blanket when we woke up - and a pool of very thick blood on the floor - about the size of a quarter. There were also what appeared to be clots on a couple of other spots on the blanket. Monday was a holiday and since the evet here is NOT good with greyhounds, I didn't take her in. I called my vet yesterday and made an appointment for today.

Got home from work yesterday to serious amounts of blood in numerous locations. I have thoroughly checked her mouth for cuts, loose teeth (her teeth are not good) but can find no source of the bleeding. She continues to have episodic bleeds with increaing amounts of blood - the pools are now small plate size. We are heading to the vet today BUT my regular vet is away and I don't have a good trusting relationship with the vet I have to see.

Does anyone have any idea what I am might be dealing with or what I should be sure the vet is doing when I take her in, what more I can do for her before we got to the vets. Any advice would be appreciated - feeling more than a little scared for her right now.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

Its definitely her mouth - last night as I was doing some stuff on the computer, she was lying beside me on a bed and I saw an episode. Her mouth filled with blood, before it spilled out onto the blanket - definitely coming out of her mouth.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

Guest Energy11

I am sorry this is happening to you!

If the mouth is clear, and the teeth, that leaves the nose and ears, and I doubt the latter. She could be having nose bleeds ...

I guess another possibility would be vomiting blood, but it would more than likely be mixed with other digestive fluids and more abundant.

Hoping for a simple and good outcome for Daisy!

I was thinking possibly a nasal bleed also, but since you have seen it come from the mouth it rules that out. Could be coming from the throat, possibly an esophageal bleed, whatever the source, it sounds really scary. I hope you find out soon what is causing it and that it is easily fixed. Lots of healing thoughts for Daisy.

Guest Energy11

Its definitely her mouth - last night as I was doing some stuff on the computer, she was lying beside me on a bed and I saw an episode. Her mouth filled with blood, before it spilled out onto the blanket - definitely coming out of her mouth.

Glad you narrowed it down as to where it is coming from. Easier for the vet, too.

My Bold Energy had something similar, and it was a problem with a tooth. He was bleeding sooo badly on the way to the Evets, that my car was covered in the back seat. That was WITH me holding pressure, and Dh driving! Turns out, the tooth had to be removed, and the Evet had to sew a flap of skin over it, to stop the bleeding. His platlets were fine, and it never happened again!

Good LucK!

Could be nasal but is draining into the mouth. Hope you can get it sorted out!

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Many good thoughts sent Daisy's way from here. When EZ had a bad tooth a few months ago, he was bleeding in his mouth - though not to the same degree that she is. It was a bad tooth infection (his teeth are a mess).

Prayers that it is something that relatively "simple"....

Robin

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Daisy did have a turkey neck on Saturday so it could be a shard - either caught in her mouth somewhere I can't see or in her esophagus. We have not had any bleeding for about 3 hours now - but still heading to the vet .

Deb, and da Croo

Guest greybookends

A couple of weeks ago Huey came to me and he kept working his mouth like he was chewing on the inside of his mouth. I was baffled as to what the problem was. I was thinking maybe he had eaten something that had his mouth numb, may be he had something stuck in his throat. I was about to take him to the vet when I discovered the problem. He had a very small shard stuck in his gum against his last back tooth (Kinda like having a popcorn kernnel stuck between your tooth and gum.). Once I got it out he was fine. It was so small I almost didn't see it. Check between her gums and teeth.

I hope it is something simple. :hope

No ideas, just good thoughts for you and Daisy. I hope it's not serious and she's on the mend soon.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

One thing to try when there's even a trace of bleeding... fold a paper towel over a couple of times. You want it a little bit thick, but still flat. Then open Daisy's mouth, lay the towel across her mouth, close her mouth for few seconds (so that she bites down on the towel), then open her mouth and take the towel out.

If the towel was thick enough to prevent bleed-through, this should give you a better idea if the bleeding is from the upper jaw or the lower. And you'll be able to see if it's more to one side or the other--or in the center of her mouth.

If you're already headed for the vet's this idea comes too late, but if you're still home and there's another episode, you might try this.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Thank you for all the good thoughts for Daisy.

No answers from the vet. It is still a mystery. She has not had any bleeding for about 8 hours now. Nothing that the vet could see in her mouth - no cuts, no missing teet tho cause it, not even a gum infection. So if she starts to bleed again, they want me to take her right back in before I clean her all up (my vet is almost an hour away). Overall she is in good health, blood work was good. For now I guess we wait and see and will take her back next week when my regular vet returns from vacation.

Deb, and da Croo

Well hell! That doesn't help much does it? I'm glad it's stopped for now and hopefully for good.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren