L.p. Tieback Surgery Done And He's Doing Well

Guest MnMDogs

Like others, just checking in. I hope Mork is recovering okay.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest MnMDogs

Thanks for checking on my boy. After a rocky first night, he's making an amazing recovery. I was told that by the surgeon that they keep the dogs overnight to make sure they are ok/not aspirating. However, Morky is very very stressed at the vet, and my vet was very concerned with his stress level so she wanted us to get him home asap.

He came home at 7 pm Friday, and was incredibly anxious. He wasn't supposed to have any food or water and he searched and searched the house over and over and over for his water. We keep bowls in 4 separate places, and he repeatedly went to each place all night scratching at the area where the bowls were :(

We got the go ahead to give him ice and that kept him calm for a few minutes at a time. But after that first night, when he could finally eat...he's doing so much better.

Anyway, I wish I had done this sooner. The surgery was done in 20 minutes, and I was told that they don't even recommend changing diet or feeding practices unless it's established that he cannot tolerate it. So he is eating normally and drinking normally. Albeit a little bit less each time until he gets used to eating with part of his larynx open all the time. Honestly, I had forgotten that he ever breathed normally. It's so odd not hearing the rattle of his breath. This dog is amazing. He's been through so much, and he keeps on keeping on like nothing ever happened to him.

Pic of him and his [LARGE] incision from yesterday morning:

Morkrecovery.jpg

Awesome news. Thanks for updating! Scritchies to your sweet handsome boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Yay, Mork!

It's so odd not hearing the rattle of his breath. This dog is amazing. He's been through so much, and he keeps on keeping on like nothing ever happened to him.
:inlove

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

I'm so glad Mork sailed through his tie-back surgery so well. :colgate That first night sounds like it was challenging on Mork, and on you. I'm happy to see him roaching comfortably in his recovery.

I assume you already know about the following LP group for owners of dogs (all breeds) with Laryngeal Paralysis: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/LP/

My LP hound is not a good candidate for tie-back surgery, but thankfully, she's still doing okay in her calm and cool environment, and slow strolls in cool temperatures.

How long did Mork show signs of LP?

So glad to hear that Mork's surgery went well :) I'm sure it will be so nice that he'll be able to enjoy himself even when summer arrives. My Sutra had mild LP, but he didn't have too many issues unless it was hot and humid. I would have considered the surgery for him if it had progressed at all. Yay Mork! :yay

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest MnMDogs

I'm so glad Mork sailed through his tie-back surgery so well. :colgate That first night sounds like it was challenging on Mork, and on you. I'm happy to see him roaching comfortably in his recovery.

I assume you already know about the following LP group for owners of dogs (all breeds) with Laryngeal Paralysis: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/LP/

My LP hound is not a good candidate for tie-back surgery, but thankfully, she's still doing okay in her calm and cool environment, and slow strolls in cool temperatures.

How long did Mork show signs of LP?

Thanks for the link :) This boy is truly amazing...I wish I were as strong as he is.

Looking back, he probably showed signs for at least a year or more. Over the past several months his breathing has become more and more labored even at rest. And he had a scope during his dental last Nov which showed bilateral LP. The surgeon said it was pretty bad when he got in and looked at it.

But...he is just about as good as new (I'm not sure if he can bark, he hasn't yet and he barks every day)! I hope you and your girl have lots and lots of time together!