I Heard Back From Dr Couto's Team

Wonder

This is the email that I got:

I am sorry to hear about Sparks.

Unfortunately there is a lytic (destructive), proliferative (production) lesion in his left distal femur (lower part of the rear leg bone, above the knee. The lesion is compatible with a primary bone tumor, a needle aspirate will confirm if it is osteosarcoma.

Please find attached a couple of articles about bone tumors in Greyhounds with info about treatment options. If you and your vet think that amputation and chemo is a good option for Sparks, and you are interested, we can provide injectable chemo (carboplatin) at no cost.

Please let us know how we can help.

Liliana Marin . DVM

Edited by Wonder

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

damn, kari, i'm sorry about the confirmation.

Steve, owner/photographer Crackerdog Photography, writer of ShutterHounds. Follow me on Instagram.
Alex (Sanja Black Eyes [1989-2003] - Sanja Superfrank x TH's Fandango), Nikki (Ein's Ardonis [1995-2008] - Farmer Wilson x Legs Polly),
Sadie (Carla Tar [2002-2014] - Coldwater Guv x Canatar), Katie (Leading Home [2003-2013] - Iruska Excalibur x Impress Me Much),

Bean ([2013-] - DJays Octane x O Ya Cranberry), and Billy Bob (O Ya Billy Bob [2011-2020] Dodgem By Design x O Ya Cranberry)
gallery_14296_2881_11695.jpg

Guest MnMDogs

I'm so sorry. That is exactly the location of Matty's OS a couple years ago :( Hugs to you and your boy.

Edited by MnMDogs

Kari. :grouphug I'm fighting back tears at my desk (and not doing a great job). :weep I remember getting that email from him and just feeling like I had been stabbed in the gut. I'm so sorry.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Kari. :grouphug I'm fighting back tears at my desk (and not doing a great job). :weep I remember getting that email from him and just feeling like I had been stabbed in the gut. I'm so sorry.

I feel like I could throw up.

I was hoping the vet from Friday was wrong :(

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

I'm so very sorry Kari. That was exactly where my Jack's tumour was. We had a good long time after diagnosis together. I hope you do too.grouphug.gif

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

I'm so very sorry Kari. That was exactly where my Jack's tumour was. We had a good long time after diagnosis together. I hope you do too.grouphug.gif

How long did you have?

I realize each case if different but I'm thinking it's going to be soon. :(

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

I am sorry to hear this....<<<<hugs>>>> to you and Sparks during your decision-making process!!!

Bow Wow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yay :)

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background

bleeping cancer. I'm so sorry Kari.

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

Oh, damn. It really hurts so much to see it in print like that.

Hugs to you and Sparks.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Wishing you strength as you and Sparks work through this, Kari. I'm so sorry it wasn't better news. {{{{{hugs}}}}}

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest Energy11

sooo Sorry to hear this!

When Max, 11, was diagnosed, we had three VERY good months with him! (**He was even able to move out of Florida to the mountains with us, and did spend almost two months here in paradise). He was on palliative care only (*pain management). I do not do amputations, BUT, that doesn't mean it isn't the way to go for you or others.

You need to do what is right for YOU and for Sparks.

With pain management alone, most have between six weeks, and three months, BUT, I have heard of others going longer, as well. It depends on how early the osteo was discovered, and whether it has moved into the lungs or other organs. With Max's it was discovered VERY early.

Sending you love, hugs and many prayers! Dee and The Five

How long did you have?

I realize each case if different but I'm thinking it's going to be soon. :(

I had 6 months with him after diagnosis. We were very lucky. He was on Tramadol and Meloxicam.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren