Taking Fuzzy To The Vet, Again

The Fuzz man was bleeding from his penis, yesterday. He had this same thing last year and the vet thought he might have passed a stone. I looked up the thread and the incident was last February, also after a snow storm. Ummm. Coincidence or what?

This time, though, the opening looks a little swollen and red. This afternoon, he had a little pus there as well. Gross, I know. This guy can't catch a break.

He doesn't seem to have any blood in his urine, using the fresh, white clean snow as a visual filter. Since the vet wasn't in yesterday, due to the snow/blizzard, I checked what antibiotics I had in the house and started him amoxicillin. He has had two doses so far. He is not urinating with any extra urgency, but he is licking the area.

We have an appointment at 6 PM. I will also ask her to look at his back muscle that has atrophied.

Think good thoughts for this guy, please. He has had a lot of stuff going on since the end of the summer.

Edited by Houndtime

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Aww, Fuzzy. :kiss2

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Hoping just a minor infection, easily treated.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

:hope Good thoughts coming for Fuzzy

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Is he peeing less? My two don't want to go outside in the ice and snow, and will hold on as long as possible. If Fuzzy's doing this, he may be triggering a UTI by drinking less so he has to go out to pee less.

But best wishes to Fuzzy...

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest Hollys2hounds

Healing thoughts sent your way!

Hope Fuzzy is feeling better soon!

Thinking of you and Fuzzy! Please let us know what the vet says

Hugs,

Holly

Dr. Newman thinks it is a sheath infection. She said everything I did was correct and should work if that is indeed what it is. She doesn't think urinary infection because he is not peeing too much or too little. He is getting amoxicillin twice a day and I should try putting bacitracin on the tip as he is very irritated from licking. Why does a dog lick his penis? Because he can.

The interesting part of the visit was that she had the report from Redbank on Fuzzy's back issue and xrays in his file. I didn't realize that Dr. Davis had sent it to her. It basically said there was nothing remarkable and said this type of back is common in racing greyhounds, etc. Dr. Newman then said, she has seen many greyhounds with sore backs, arthritis in the back, etc, and not hip injuries very often at all. She is did agree that he is very young for this injury, but that it does happen.

When we showed her his atrophied back muscles, she said that she has never seen anything like that in her life. She sent the vet tech to get her camera and she took photos of his back. She said she wants to post them on some vet board.

Dr. Newman thinks that his pain was neurological, nerve damage and was probably quite painful for him. She wants to see the films. She also thinks that he is over this episode and we should try and wean him off of the yucca. She doesn't think he has any pain right now, and they way he walks is just the result of the weakening hind quarter muscles. The pain could come back again, or it may never. If it does, he might be a good candidate for acupuncture, but it is not necessary right now.

That is how we spent our evening. I am glad we went, even though, hopefully we put him on the road recovery ourselves, I did want affirmation of what we we doing. I am so, so glad that she examined his back.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Hm, maybe we should talk. We have a dog with a hip injury that an MRI shows is healed but which has caused him problems from the time we got him at 3-1/2 into the present, age 8! Is there a thread on Fuzzy's back somewhere?

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Sounds like the infection will be taken care of with meds. So glad you got some answers or at least info about his back. Hugs to you and the Fuzzy. Feel better Fuzzy!!!!

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.