Osteo Thread

Phene didn't even have a tumour. He was being treated for arthritis. The vet thought his x-rays were suggestive of arthritis except for a little spot that he couldn't explain. He gave me the option of sending them to a local radiologist. I suggested Dr. Couto instead, so they were sent to OSU. His medical treatment didn't change at all; it was exactly the same as when we thought it was arthritis. Having said that, I think I always knew it was osteo. I think we always know.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Robin, Jen said everything that I would want to say, but far more eloquently :blush

Sutra had started limping off and on after he fell off the couch last January and dislocated his right shoulder. Because the pain came and went and instances were about a month apart, I just always figured it was something residual from his dislocation. A couple of times after the initial time, I had taken him to the chiro because his shoulder was starting to slip out of joint again. April 15th, 2010 I took him to our regular vet and asked for xrays because he'd started limping and it hadn't resolved in about 2 days like all the other times had. Prior to taking him back for the xrays, Doc just did an exam on him, and when he squeezed the bone of the upper part of his leg and Sutra cried out, my heart broke into a million pieces because I knew then that that's what it was. The xray confirmed it.

We were "lucky" and had 6 months together, with very few tough days/nights. It still hurts every bit as much today as it did when we got the diagnosis and the night that we had to say goodbye. I've just had another crying outburst here in my home office, because I just have to have them every now and then. The pain of the loss is still so intense. And I sit here and think of all the funny things he used to do and they're as real and vivid as if they happened yesterday. Unfortunately, the memory of that day at the vet's office when he cried out when Doc squeezed his leg is just as vivid, and I can hear my buddyman's very distinctive-sounding yike.

My vet will not dismiss my concerns with osteo - Sutra lived at his clinic for a few weeks while he was being treated for pancreatitis, so he was like their dog too. My MO from now on will be to xray right away...I know that the xrays don't always show osteo when it's there, but, that is where I will start anyway.

I miss my buddyman - he took a big chunk of my heart with him :cry1

DSC00657.jpg

Thinking of you Robin :grouphug

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I'm so sorry, Kristin. I remember Sutra and he was really beautiful.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Thanks, Robin.

Sorry to cloud the thread with sadness :( I really enjoy hearing how the pups here are doing - it gives me hope for the future. While it's a sucky ordeal, I'm glad that there are a good number here who are doing really well :nod

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Sorry to cloud the thread with sadness :( I really enjoy hearing how the pups here are doing - it gives me hope for the future. While it's a sucky ordeal, I'm glad that there are a good number here who are doing really well :nod

Kristen, don't ever worry about that. This thread is for everyone who has been affected by this horrid disease and whether it's upbeat or sad, we are all here to listen to each other, console with each other and hope that in the future there is a cure. Sutra was a very handsome boy.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I could have used a thread like this when Dima had OS. But she went to the Bridge 2 months before the thread started.

But Kristen and Robin, you are so right when you said you knew. All my girls limp some time or another because I have a huge yard for them to get into trouble with.

But when Dima started limping, I knew. And it was cemented even before we saw the vet. She jumped into the back of my SUV and hit her leg. The scream she let out was heartbreaking. That night the xrays confirmed OS.

I had an excellent 6 months with her post amp.

I look at my current three and wonder who's next.

I look at my current three and wonder who's next.

no no no no no, please don't say that :grouphug

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg

Thanks for asking. We are both missing Phene like crazy. She's whining and I'm crying. What an obnoxious pair! :eek

This is the first time she's been without Phene since I adopted her two years ago. She doesn't seem to know what to do. She hates going outside now so I have to go in the backyard with her. I've been taking her for extra walks, and trying to get her to play, but poor thing doesn't have a clue.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg

It sucks, doesn't it? It's bad enough that you lose your dog; then nobody wants to deal with you :violin whine whine whine, but maybe people are afraid, or don't realize that we're hurting and that we need support now? who knows...my mood will improve. :)

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg

It sucks, doesn't it? It's bad enough that you lose your dog; then nobody wants to deal with you :violin whine whine whine, but maybe people are afraid, or don't realize that we're hurting and that we need support now? who knows...my mood will improve. :)

That's why you come here. :) Especially as time passes and people assume you are "over it".

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

That's why you come here. :) Especially as time passes and people assume you are "over it".

you, too? :grouphug

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg

I've read every post and I just want to say that my heart goes out to everyone who has or is going through this dreaded disease. sad.gif I haven't personally had a dog with it, but I've walked with friends as they've lost several dogs to it so I know how devastating it can be.

I strongly suspect that Phene was ill long before he was diagnosed. He'd been having rear end pain for a while. The vet I had been seeing kept saying it was arthritis and that nothing about it seemed like osteo. I finally saw another vet in the practice and requested x-rays, then follow up with Dr. Couto. I'm not upset or anything because the outcome would have been the same, regardless of when he was diagnosed. I just regret not being able to spend his last few days with him, but at least I was there at the end.

P.S. Thank you all for your support. I only hope I can give as much as I've received from all of you.

Robin, the more I follow people's stories and after what I experienced with Neyla, I think most dogs have the cancer at least 6 months to a year before people realize and that they tend to only find out when the cancer is in its final stages and exponentially growing. Sometimes the dog will have limped a little bit months earlier but it resolved on its own or with a bit of medication, other times there were no signs at all.

From the dogs I've known personally that were lost to osteo, I tend to agree.

Aw, I wish I could be there to give you a grouphug.gif. It could be that people just don't know what to say, so they don't say anything at all. I'm sure it will get better over time.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Let's try a good update!

We began Dude's metronomic protocol Memorial Day weekend. Then, very abruptly, he didn't finish his dinner Saturday night, didn't want breakfast Sunday morning, turned up his nose a dinner Sunday night. I did get him to eat by hand feeding him with a spoon :rolleyes: , but we called Dr Melanie (his oncologist) on Monday morning. On her advise we began giving him metacloprimide Monday afternoon for is nauseau. He didin't have a great response to the Cerenia after his chemo treatments, so we tried something different.

Worked like a charm! I've got my chow hound back and he's feeling and acting good again! He ate yesterday great and this morning was just like normal. I hope this continues to work well!

He has his second massage therapy session tomorrow. I highly recommend this for all amputees. The difference for Dude was night and day, before and after his first massage. And the residual relaxation lasted almost two full weeks. He feels better and moves better and I really can't say enough good things about it.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Blitzkrieg

i lost my hound Blitzkrieg (we called him Blitz) on 11 August 2010 to Osteo

i believe Blitz' cancer was brought on when he and my female St.Bernard (Blaze) got tangled up and fell down the stairs

a month later they BOTH had osteo - hers was slower and she passed 1 November 2010

i think they got hairline fractures after the incident which prompted the cancer

anyway i read a lot about osteo during that time and this article looked promising:

http://www.technologyreview.com/biomedicine/24984/page1/

i haven't read much on osteo lately but did anything become of this procedure?

(sorry if thiss had already been covered - i used the search and didnt find anything on it in the thread)

Edited by Blitzkrieg

you, too? :grouphug

Right there with you guys. People within my group understand, especially my friend Jennifer who has lost two of her own to osteo. But it's still hard. Most days I do okay, but, some days it all just weighs on me a lot.

I'm grateful to be able to come here, even though I really just wish that none of us had this in common :(

Thanks for your kind words, Kyle :)

Guest juliagulia630

That is great news Dude! I can tell Phene was loved very much and will be missed.

James continues to do well. We are noticing no changes, even in the hot weather. That being said, we are starting to get ready for our week long trip to South Carolina. We planned for this trip in November and unfortunately went into it with our families. We can't back out. My husband is coming back early and my Aunt is staying behind and watching James. She is a dog person and agreed to stay at our house. We looked into taking him with us but it is all stairs.

What do I need to prepare for James and my Aunt before we go? Of course I would fly home early if anything happened. Thanks!

I was having trouble typing on my phone earlier-also wanted to say that I'm so happy that Dude is feeling better, and :yay for more massages! Would love to see some pics or a video of his royal treatment :)

Thanks Robin.

i lost my hound Blitzkrieg (we called him Blitz) on 11 August 2010 to Osteo

i believe Blitz' cancer was brought on when he and my female St.Bernard (Blaze) got tangled up and fell down the stairs

a month later they BOTH had osteo - hers was slower and she passed 1 November 2010

i think they got hairline fractures after the incident which prompted the cancer

anyway i read a lot about osteo during that time and this article looked promising:

http://www.technologyreview.com/biomedicine/24984/page1/

i haven't read much on osteo lately but did anything become of this procedure?

(sorry if thiss had already been covered - i used the search and didnt find anything on it in the thread)

I'm sorry for your loss. :(

That's in interesting article. It's the first I've heard of that treatment. I would imagine that like the stereotactic radiation I looked into, which is also an experimental treatment being used at universities only currently, it would be cost prohibitive to get it done for most people at this point in time. The stereotactic radiation was going to be close to $10K when all was said and done. There's probably also the same risk of fracture that you would get with biopsy since they're drilling into bone, so I would think you'd have to be prepared for that possibility and to either amputate or let your pup go. Having said all of that, it does seem like a very promising treatment. Hopefully some of these treatments become more mainstream and more accessible to normal pet owners down the road. :goodluck

:yay for good Dude and James updates!

I had to leave Neyla behind pretty early on in her dx for a long weekend to go to my friend's wedding in New Orleans. She's a close friend through my greyhound group so she would have understood if I chose not to come, but since Neyla was doing well, I decided to go. It was so hard to leave her, but I managed to enjoy the weekend once down there and Neyla was fine. I would just make sure you leave ample medication with clear instructions on how to increase if needed and any relevant instructions on exercise restrictions, etc. I'm sure he'll do fine while you're gone.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Blitzkrieg

That's in interesting article. It's the first I've heard of that treatment. I would imagine that like the stereotactic radiation I looked into, which is also an experimental treatment being used at universities only currently, it would be cost prohibitive to get it done for most people at this point in time. The stereotactic radiation was going to be close to $10K when all was said and done. There's probably also the same risk of fracture that you would get with biopsy since they're drilling into bone, so I would think you'd have to be prepared for that possibility and to either amputate or let your pup go. Having said all of that, it does seem like a very promising treatment. Hopefully some of these treatments become more mainstream and more accessible to normal pet owners down the road.

at the time i read that last year some further investigation said the university doing it was doing the treatment for free because it was experimental

the owner just need to cover transporting the dogs - i will try to find the other article that said that

Edited by Blitzkrieg

That's in interesting article. It's the first I've heard of that treatment. I would imagine that like the stereotactic radiation I looked into, which is also an experimental treatment being used at universities only currently, it would be cost prohibitive to get it done for most people at this point in time. The stereotactic radiation was going to be close to $10K when all was said and done. There's probably also the same risk of fracture that you would get with biopsy since they're drilling into bone, so I would think you'd have to be prepared for that possibility and to either amputate or let your pup go. Having said all of that, it does seem like a very promising treatment. Hopefully some of these treatments become more mainstream and more accessible to normal pet owners down the road.

at the time i read that last year some further investigation said the university doing it was doing the treatment for free because it was experimental

the owner just need to cover transporting the dogs - i will try to find the other article that said that

Yes, often if it's part of a trial it will be free, but then you're limited to only that treatment. But that can still be a good option for some people. If its still ongoing and you can find a direct link, I will add it to the first post to share.